• Major Applewhite - Houston
    • Kendall Briles - Baylor
    • Jake Spavital - A&M
    • Doug Meacham - TCU
    • Matt Campbell - Toledo
    • Sonnie Cumby - TCU
    • Robert Prunty - Cincy
    • Willie Fritz - Ga. Southern

Most of these wonderboys have accomplished nothing, except maybe being in the right place at the right time and being promoted into positions on teams that were already winning by huge margins. Head coach at a division 1 school, no way. Much of that list isn't experienced enough to be the head coach at a high school.

They may all be outstanding head coaches in their time, but it is inconceivable to consider them viable options for North Texas, especially with the incredible rebuilding challenge with which we are currently presented.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Most of these wonderboys have accomplished nothing, except maybe being in the right place at the right time and being promoted into positions on teams that were already winning by huge margins. Head coach at a division 1 school, no way. Much of that list isn't experienced enough to be the head coach at a high school.

They may all be outstanding head coaches in their time, but it is inconceivable to consider them viable options for North Texas, especially with the incredible rebuilding challenge with which we are currently presented.

OK.  Can you offer alternatives other than Fritz?

e1d4cf268d205ff30a492a50e5e3b7cdb4f08be8

Edited by Harry

So, our choice is a solid selection in Willie Fritz or a bunch of high-risk wonderboys.

Off that list, give me Fritz. Right now he is directing his team (offense and defense) to another conference championship and he would have the ability to bring proven assistant coaches with him.

We have got to reload quickly.Where are all these wonderboys going to get their coaching staffs in time for recruiting? Few have built anything as most have been position coaches blessed to be on very good teams.

Nobody else is even close. Fritz if we can get him.

How can you put Matt Campbell in that class?!?

Anyways, out of the list . . . Matt Campbell.  I think he'd be crazy to leave what he has to come to North Texas, but if better pay and a better recruiting base could somehow attract him, he'd have to be my first choice, with Willie Fritz a close second and Kendal Briles a very intriguing third.

And he's not on the list, but if Matt Campbell is on there, I don't see why Dino Babers isn't.  And I'd put him right there with Campbell.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I mean, if you're going to include Spavital, I don't understand why anyone would want to pass on him.   He ain't coming here, but if you include him on the list, that has to be the guy you want.  

He's an ace recruiter, has all of the TX ties you could think of, runs a very dynamic offense regardless of QB... could likely assemble a pretty nice assistant coach pool, no-brainer.

And, while we're dreaming, I bet Smiley would likely be interested in an OC position under Spavital if offered at the right price.  

Could you imagine Spavital HC / Smiley OC?

simpsonhomerdrool.jpg

• Upvote 2

As a fan of Georgia Southern who has been following the Mean Green program from afar since my nephew graduated from North Texas, I just wanted to put in my two cents on the Mean Green's next head football coaching hire.  I feel like the next Head Coach at North Texas needs to be a coach in the same mold as Willie Fritz.  If the Mean Green are able to hire Fritz away from Georgia Southern it would be a slam dunk hire.  Now after saying that here are my reasons why Fritz would not leave Georgia Southern for North Texas.

1. It would be a sideways move for Fritz.  If you look at the coaching moves that Fritz has made during his coaching career, he has always moved up the food chain not sideways.  JUCO (Blinn), D2 (Central Missouri), FCS (Sam Houston), FBS/G5 (Georgia Southern).

2.  The only thing that North Texas could offer is more money than Georgia Southern to Fritz.  It could even be seen as a step backwards by some. since Fritz already has all the pieces in place at Georgia Southern to keep winning instead of a total program rebuild.

3.  Just my gut feeling but I feel like Willie Fritz will only leave Georgia Southern for a Power 5 school or a much higher profile G5 school than North Texas.

Best of luck in your coaching search.  I hope the Mean Green make the right hire.

• Upvote 2

I mean, if you're going to include Spavital, I don't understand why anyone would want to pass on him.   He ain't coming here, but if you include him on the list, that has to be the guy you want.  

He's an ace recruiter, has all of the TX ties you could think of, runs a very dynamic offense regardless of QB... could likely assemble a pretty nice assistant coach pool, no-brainer.

And, while we're dreaming, I bet Smiley would likely be interested in an OC position under Spavital if offered at the right price.  

Could you imagine Spavital HC / Smiley OC?

simpsonhomerdrool.jpg

This right here. I like the way you think. 

The most successful coaches in our history came to us after coaching at Baylor.  Fry, Corky, and even Jack Sisco.  Bring in a winner with ties to Texas.  Heck, ties to Denton County.  Give all the coaches half a tank of gas and let them recruit Denton County alone.  There is plenty of talent within 30 minutes of Apogee. 

Welcome Coach Canales

GO MEAN GREEN

As a fan of Georgia Southern who has been following the Mean Green program from afar since my nephew graduated from North Texas, I just wanted to put in my two cents on the Mean Green's next head football coaching hire.  I feel like the next Head Coach at North Texas needs to be a coach in the same mold as Willie Fritz.  If the Mean Green are able to hire Fritz away from Georgia Southern it would be a slam dunk hire.  Now after saying that here are my reasons why Fritz would not leave Georgia Southern for North Texas.

1. It would be a sideways move for Fritz.  If you look at the coaching moves that Fritz has made during his coaching career, he has always moved up the food chain not sideways.  JUCO (Blinn), D2 (Central Missouri), FCS (Sam Houston), FBS/G5 (Georgia Southern).

2.  The only thing that North Texas could offer is more money than Georgia Southern to Fritz.  It could even be seen as a step backwards by some. since Fritz already has all the pieces in place at Georgia Southern to keep winning instead of a total program rebuild.

3.  Just my gut feeling but I feel like Willie Fritz will only leave Georgia Southern for a Power 5 school or a much higher profile G5 school than North Texas.

Best of luck in your coaching search.  I hope the Mean Green make the right hire.

I get what you're saying, but going from Georgia Southern to North Texas would be a move up in terms of pay, conference affiliation and facilities. We could almost triple his currently salary.

The only reason he stays at Georgia Southern is if he feels he could get a shot at a P5 school with another 1-2 years of success, which I could easily see.

• Upvote 1

I get what you're saying, but going from Georgia Southern to North Texas would be a move up in terms of pay, conference affiliation and facilities. We could almost triple his currently salary.

The only reason he stays at Georgia Southern is if he feels he could get a shot at a P5 school with another 1-2 years of success, which I could easily see.

Yes, North Texas would be a increase in salary for Fritz, but I feel like he will receive an increase in salary in the very near future from Georgia Southern somewhere in the 600,000 to 700,000 dollar range which would be in the ballpark of what North Texas payed McCarney. 

As far as the difference in conference and facilities, I see no difference between Georgia Southern and North Texas.

Also a difference between Georgia Southern and North Texas for the next several years is Georgia Southern is in a reloading mode.whereas North Texas will be in a total rebuilding mode. 

Also ONE other difference between North Texas and Georgia Southern is that one demands that there Coach wins whereas the other just hopes there coach wins.

Edited by ValleyBoy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Alumni always have lists of who they want and rarely do they match with what the person who is making the hiring decision.  If I remember from several years ago, both Benford and McCarney weren't on very many alumni lists of preferred candidates.

Just sayin'.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

Yes, North Texas would be a increase in salary for Fritz, but I feel like he will receive an increase in salary in the very near future from Georgia Southern somewhere in the 600,000 to 700,000 dollar range which would be in the ballpark of what North Texas payed McCarney. 

As far as the difference in conference and facilities, I see no difference between Georgia Southern and North Texas.

Also a difference between Georgia Southern and North Texas for the next several years is Georgia Southern is in a reloading mode.whereas North Texas will be in a total rebuilding mode. 

Also ONE other difference between North Texas and Georgia Southern is that one demands that there Coach wins whereas the other just hopes there coach wins.

You better stop speaking truth around these parts people are going to get angry at you!

• Upvote 2

How many P5 jobs do you think are available for the triple option offense?  I can think of 1, Georgia Tech, but am having trouble thinking of another.

You better stop speaking truth around these parts people are going to get angry at you!

It would not hurt my feeling in any way at all. 

While I am speaking the truth, I will add another truth. 

From what I have been reading on what most North Texas want in there next head coach is a offensive minded coach who will pass the ball all around the field like Baylor and TCU.  That is not Willie Fritz's offense.  His offense is a spread option run offense thats passing game only works when the running game is working.  If you do not believe me just check the numbers. 

Also another fact is that when Georgia Southern hired Willie Fritz the Eagles fanbase would have been calling for the AD head on a platter if the new head coach ran any type offense that was not an run option based offense.  The reason for this is that all Georgia Southern football success has been with this type offense.  The Paul Johnson Georgia Tech offense was born at Georgia Southern which all Georgia Southern fans still see as a Georgia Southern offense.

How many P5 jobs do you think are available for the triple option offense?  I can think of 1, Georgia Tech, but am having trouble thinking of another.

Georgia Tech is the only P5 running that style at this time.  Also at the FBS level you only have Navy, Army, Air Force, and Georgia Southern running a triple option based offense.  The offense makes it living off of defenses that do not play assignment football.  Now I could see some of the lower P5 taking a chance in making a coaching hire to change to this style offense but one problem is that that there are not that many teams that run that style system so the so the coaching tree is very small.  Just as an example, Paul Johnson acts as his own OC.  At the FBS level the only OC that stands out and that would be Ivan Jasper the OC from Navy.  Now there are several programs at the FCS level but none with very long track records, but this could change in the next few years.

• Upvote 1

Do y'all really think we have a chance of snagging a Baylor or TCU candidate? I just don't see it.

I voted for Campbell, look what the guy has done to a quiet program of Toledo. They are undefeated and have a posted win over a SEC team this year. I think a Texas program and a much bigger salary would entice him to come coach for UNT.

We are in dire need of a guy who can make UNT a giant killer program like Boise or NIU. Our blowout loss to a FCS school has completely thrown us into the stone ages.

• Upvote 1