• Major Applewhite - Houston
    • Kendall Briles - Baylor
    • Jake Spavital - A&M
    • Doug Meacham - TCU
    • Matt Campbell - Toledo
    • Sonnie Cumby - TCU
    • Robert Prunty - Cincy
    • Willie Fritz - Ga. Southern

Here are the main names being mentioned at this time.  Here is an 8 page thread of discussion on the candidates.  I can't mention every one but tried to go with the most popular.  Let us know who you prefer and feel free to provide write in candidates in this thread.

Edited by Harry

Don't trust Briles to run a clean program.

If he wants this job and brings energy and enthusiasm I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Wasn't this like texting violations or something?  Anyhow, at this point let's try to keep an open mind. 

Look, when we hired Dodge, we hired a dynamic offensive coach because we were sick of the Buick's run, run, pass offense. 

When we hired Mac, we hired an experienced, defensive minded coach because Dodge was a high school coach who didn't pay enough attention to the other side of the ball. 

Now, a lot of people on here are chomping at the bit to replace Buick 2.0 with an offensive coach, thus making the same mistake yet again.

Here is an idea. Higher an experienced, young (no older than 50) college head coach who has won freaking football games, conference championships, and has done it in tough places. Stop trying to fix one side of the ball. Fix the whole damn program.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Look, when we hired Dodge, we hired a dynamic offensive coach because we were sick of the Buick's run, run, pass offense. 

When we hired Mac, we hired an experienced, defensive minded coach because Dodge was a high school coach who didn't pay enough attention to the other side of the ball. 

Now, a lot of people on here are chomping at the bit to replace Buick 2.0 with an offensive coach, thus making the same mistake yet again.

Here is an idea. Higher an experienced, young (no older than 50) college head coach who has won freaking football games, conference championships, and has done it in tough places. Stop trying to fix one side of the ball. Fix the whole damn program.

You can make the young offensive hire just fine. And he can fix the whole damn program. The key is finding out what kind of staff he is capable of bringing in. 

The next HC should be paid the same as Mac, but the rest of coaching salaries need to be increased. 

• Upvote 4

Hire any cheap name right now and in 10 years pull a Tech and bring in DT.  he knows the spread, might not jump ship if P5 ever called, and has already passed my wife's "kingsbury - easy on the eyes" test.  Isn't that the coaching criteria that 99% of college football fans actually care about?

long-neck-reaction.jpg

Any candidate needs to be reviewed to see if they have a kid that's a QB or a friend's kid that's a high school QB. Then it should be based on how good that kid is. 

As I said in our Podcast the next HC needs to call every SR QB in Texas and see if they are interested. 

An offensive minded coach could probably land an FBS level QB in his first class. Briles, Major, Cumbie, Riley. I bet there are a lot of QBs who want play in their systems. 

Fixing the QB problem should be the #1 thing the next HC should address. If he does that we might be winning sooner than yall think 

• Upvote 2

I understand, but they also looked the other way with the Boise State transfer.

Any thoughts on Willie Fritz or K.C. Keeler?

While I certainly agree that whole situation was heinous, the fault there lies at the feet of his father and defensive coaches. He is not *necessarily* included in such.

• Upvote 1

So, our choice is a solid selection in Willie Fritz or a bunch of high-risk wonderboys.

Off that list, give me Fritz. Right now he is directing his team (offense and defense) to another conference championship and he would have the ability to bring proven assistant coaches with him.

We have got to reload quickly.Where are all these wonderboys going to get their coaching staffs in time for recruiting? Few have built anything as most have been position coaches blessed to be on very good teams.

Nobody else is even close. Fritz if we can get him.

• Upvote 4

So, who would you hire?

Personally I would prefer the wonder kid briles or cumbie or somebody at a trendy program than somebody who has won in tough places. Why? Because we shouldn't be a tough place to recruit to and win. Other than our conference, we have all of the intangibles of an attractive school such as being in dfw. Bring me the guy all the kids know and want to play for. Bring me the guy whose current team in putting up 50 plus on texas. Bring me the guy who has d1 experience and who will get out alums interest. Nobody cares that some guy is successful in juco or fcs or in sun belt. I don't want to be be built in the image of any of those programs, I want to be built in the image of baylor and tcu. And I certainly don't want to end up as a dirict mimicking of a smaller program. Just some thoughts. We need somebody succeeding at a real program now. We got somebody who brought a nobody program out the depths in Mac and it didn't help us any. Dodge was trendy but had no d1 experience. Give me both.

Also, my grammar is bad becaus I'm on my phone.

• Upvote 4