Friendly advice for Chico

eulessismore

McNulty may not be a very good QB but why would a coach play a player who can't perform? Any coach at any level is going to play their best players. McNulty plays because he is the best QB on the roster.

Can't do anything about this season and this might be a little off topic but UNT needs a coach who can recruit. North Texas will pay a lot for it too. Other schools can't us the "bad facilities" excuse against us since we have Apogee and upgraded athletic training equipment. I don't know any names but there has to be a coach out there who can go to a recruit and convince him to play (and I mean PLAY) at UNT vs. sit on the bench at TU, OU, aTm, et al. THOSE are the recruits to target.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

We're going to truly find out if Chico likes McNulty better or not.  

We're also going to find out if the offense is inept because of him.   If it's a bunch of runs up the middle, or just plain runs by guys NOT named Wilson, then we'll know that much of the offensive woes were, in fact, at least partly Chico, and he can go too.

• Upvote 1

Offense was horrible all season and last year also, just horrendous yesterday. Chico knows he has to mix it up I can see him playing to the crowd. What ever he does we need to find 2 wins please. I am thinking UTEP and UTSA. 

Anyone else should be unacceptable. Mac said McNulty starting gives us the best shot to win. Well guess what? We're 0-5. I think if Canales wants to be seriously considered for the permanent head coaching job next year, he needs to shake things up. And the starting QB should be the first thing.

Win could win 4 of the next 7 abd Canales shouldn't be considered.

He is a part of the problem. 

Come on, man.

• Upvote 5

McNulty may not be a very good QB but why would a coach play a player who can't perform? Any coach at any level is going to play their best players. McNulty plays because he is the best QB on the roster.

Can't do anything about this season and this might be a little off topic but UNT needs a coach who can recruit. North Texas will pay a lot for it too. Other schools can't us the "bad facilities" excuse against us since we have Apogee and upgraded athletic training equipment. I don't know any names but there has to be a coach out there who can go to a recruit and convince him to play (and I mean PLAY) at UNT vs. sit on the bench at TU, OU, aTm, et al. THOSE are the recruits to target.

Wow. Just WOW! 

UTEP and UTSA are the only possible wins I'm seeing at this point.

Exactly. But I'm open to something better.

He used a consultant to come up with McCarney?!?

I guarantee you that there is NO consulting company that has a clue about what our needs are regarding a new head coach.

Give me, FFR and Cerebus one weekend of sorting through candidates and we would come up with much better recommendations than any consulting company out there ........for a fraction of the money. And we would do a two-fer. An AD candidate AND a HC candidate.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He used a firm to find and hire McCarney....FWIW

Ex president Rawlins hired his buddy Nienas to first give us an evaluation of our athletic program...because he apparently did not trust how things were going and rightly so,....and Nienas in turn took the university to the cleaners spitting out some short bullshit  suggestion letter that told us what we already knew and gave us nothing to fix any of the problems for something like a $35k fee...(the exact amount escapes me?).

Then Rawlins asked Nienas to find us a coach and he came up with McCarney.  I don't believe there was a proper coaching search done.  The AD and the university may have said there was a search done, but I wouldn't believe them simply due to our recent past.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Ex president Rawlins hired his buddy Nienas to first give us an evaluation of our athletic program...because he apparently did not trust how things were going and rightly so,....and Nienas in turn took the university to the cleaners spitting out some bullshit 8 paragraph suggestion letter that told us what we already knew and gave us nothing to fix any of the problems.  Then he asked Nienas to find us a coach and he came up with McCarney.  I don't believe at all that there was a proper coaching search done.  The AD and the university may have said there was a search done, but I wouldn't believe them if they made such a claim based simply off of our recent past history.

Rick

Rick, you work for government as I do, so you must know some of the definitions of a consultant:

"Somebody who uses your information to tell you what you already knew".

"Somebody with a briefcase who spends the night in your office".

"somebody from more than 50 miles away".

Maybe it was just a CYA exercise.

Rick, you work for government as I do, so you must know some of the definitions of a consultant:

"Somebody who uses your information to tell you what you already knew".

"Somebody with a briefcase who spends the night in your office".

"somebody from more than 50 miles away".

Maybe it was just a CYA exercise.

Maybe so maybe no?  It was still a waste of money and a massive admittance that university officials did not trust the guy in charge of the athletic department.

Rick

Maybe so maybe no?  It was still a waste of money and a massive admittance that university officials did not trust the guy in charge of the athletic department.

Rick

I was never excited about the hire to begin with, but I can see your point on the lack of confidence; all part of a process, that in hindsight, resulted in a bad hire.  But the poor hire was nowhere near the level of stupidity as the contract extension, for which no one credits anyone but RV.  As I recall, that was described as a way of letting recruits know that the coach who had recruited them would be there to coach them.  How has that worked out?

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

Of course you use a consultant. Any quality organization always uses consultants to vet candidates for significant positions. They are also very good for finding candidates who don't want it known they are searching. They also have experience with contracts, they deal with multiple head coaching contracts every year. A university doesn't average two a year! 

Do NOT outsource the final decision, but even Division 2 teams bring in a consulting firm on major hires. 

• Upvote 1