It's Official Chico named Interim Head Coach

UNTflyer

Hmmm.  So if this plays out right, MiniMac will continue to play hard for us even though his surrogate father was given the opportunity to seek success elsewhere.  Then, in a few more games, he will get hurt and flash the talon to us as he's being carted off the field, leaving the keys to this thing to Demarcus Smith.   Is that how it goes?

Actually, Mini and Greer would've both been injured by now, Smith would be the one taken off on a stretcher in the last game of the season and Means would come in except Smith and Means would be converted WRs. We didn't carry 9 quarterbacks back then because we had decent ones.

Bench McNulty immediately. Mac's downfall started at that position. Get D Smith or Means experience. They are the future. McNulty is done in a few weeks. Greer isn't the guy.

I really want him to focus on two things. Getting the offense working and finding out which of

our young players will be in line to make major contributions next year. Of course, the two may

not be totally compatible goals, but we do need to play the rest of this season with an eye to 

rebuilding next year.

I like where your thinking lies but if Canales is coaching for his next job, (wherever that may be) I don't think he will be in any sort of rebuilding/prepare for the future mode. He will be trying to be competitive this season to get looks for head coach or coordinator positions at other programs.

I just hope we look respectable and the players look like they actually care going forward. They clearly did not care last night.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

Just goes to show you how this AD can't learn from his mistakes.

I guess he forgot how Canales openly campaigned for the job with some big donors last time. 

What you will see is a Chico for head coach campaign at the end of the year, even if we don't win a game.

This should be about cleaning house for next year. Anything that disturbs that goal is a distraction. 

Perry should have been the interm. Everyone would know he had no shot to land the job permanently. 

Amazing that here we are, in the exact F'n spot we were in 2010, except the team and talent is worse, yet Fly and his ilk defend this AD at every turn. 

That's Why Not North Texas.

• Upvote 2

I guess he forgot how Canales openly campaigned for the job with some big donors last time. 

What you will see is a Chico for head coach campaign at the end of the year, even if we don't win a game.

This should be about cleaning house for next year. Anything that disturbs that goal is a distraction. 

Perry should have been the interm. Everyone would know he had no shot to land the job permanently. 

Amazing that here we are, in the exact F'n spot we were in 2010, except the team and talent is worse, yet Fly and his ilk defend this AD at every turn. 

That's Why Not North Texas.

I disagree with putting someone in there that sends a clear message you aren't trying or that the coach isn't going to be considered. 

IMO that would result in 7 more games of what we saw Sarurday. 

• Upvote 3

I disagree with putting someone in there that sends a clear message you aren't trying or that the coach isn't going to be considered. 

IMO that would result in 7 more games of what we saw Sarurday. 

Happens all the time that there will be new coaches coming, these guys are still coaching for their future and their resumes. They do not want to be attached to 0-12 no more than we do. There is less drama if it is clear there will be a clean sweep. 

it wasn't just with the donors. Canales came to multiple SGA meetings lobbying for our support of him as head coach as well.

Edited by Christopher Walker

it wasn't just with the donors. Canales came to multiple SGA meetings lobbying for our support of him as head coach as well.

He was everywhere on his campaign trail, had his wife going strong also. He was shameless about it.  

I am getting the idea that self campaigning will not be a problem this time around, this time it will most likely be handled correctly. RV is on a short leash and hopefully won't be here long enough to watch the Halloween game. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/damarcussmith7

Clearly SOMTHING has him excited.

And Chico should have been the choice in 2010.  There, I said it.

You said it.

But you are wrong. 

QB development, or lack thereof.

Does anyone think he will be considered as Mac's replacement on a permanent basis, with the understanding that when it comes to football coaches nothing is permanent at UNT?

We really need to stop this type of 1982 thinking.

You don't hire a head coach based on not paying out contracts. That is the best way to ensure season like 2015 UNT football continue to happen.

I swear this fan base suffers from cult behavior. This is all we know and have been told, so let's accept it,

Other than Kirby and Keena who do you see playing in the NFL?

I'm not really worried about the NFL, but there are plenty of kids with All-CUSA potential (Jordan Murray, Sam Rice, Kirby, Miles, Goree, McClain, Barr, Garner, several young defensive tackles). Put those kids in a modern college football scheme with a decent QB and we can Hit6. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen