McCarney Relieved Of Head Coaching Duties (official statement)

Harry

11393755.jpeg

Dan McCarney Relieved Of Head Coaching Duties

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Oct. 10, 2015

DENTON - University of North Texas Director of Athletics Rick Villarreal has announced that Dan McCarney has been relieved of his duties as head football coach effective immediately. An interim coach for the remainder of the season will be named at a later time. A national search for his replacement will begin immediately.

"This is a really a tough decision, but after a complete evaluation of the University of North Texas football program, we have decided to make a change at head coach," Villarreal said. "I will always cherish my relationship with coach McCarney and he's done nothing but great things for us in his time here, but we felt like this was the best thing we needed to do for the program moving forward."

"The people here at North Texas are great, we couldn't have been embraced or supported any better during my time here," said McCarney. "Obviously we have been really struggling lately, and Rick (Villarreal) felt it was in his best interests with the University and the athletic department and the football program to go another direction. I will always be grateful to President Rawlins, Rick and President Smatresk for this opportunity."

McCarney was 22-32 in his four plus seasons with North Texas and led the Mean Green to the 2014 Heart of Dallas Bowl Championship.

Edited by Harry

11393755.jpeg

Interim To Be Named; National Search For Replacement To Begin Immediately

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Oct. 10, 2015

DENTON - University of North Texas Director of Athletics Rick Villarreal has announced that Dan McCarney has been relieved of his duties as head football coach effective immediately. An interim coach for the remainder of the season will be named at a later time. A national search for his replacement will begin immediately.

"This is a really a tough decision, but after a complete evaluation of the University of North Texas football program, we have decided to make a change at head coach," Villarreal said. "I will always cherish my relationship with coach McCarney and he's done nothing but great things for us in his time here, but we felt like this was the best thing we needed to do for the program moving forward."

"The people here at North Texas are great, we couldn't have been embraced or supported any better during my time here," said McCarney. "Obviously we have been really struggling lately, and Rick (Villarreal) felt it was in his best interests with the University and the athletic department and the football program to go another direction. I will always be grateful to President Rawlins, Rick and President Smatresk for this opportunity."

McCarney was 22-32 in his four plus seasons with North Texas and led the Mean Green to the 2014 Heart of Dallas Bowl Championship.

Hmmm....OK.

• Upvote 1

11393755.jpeg

Interim To Be Named; National Search For Replacement To Begin Immediately

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Oct. 10, 2015

AND WE"RE KEEPING OUR A.D.???????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I found this on meangreensports....

• At halftime, North Texas Athletics announced donations of $1,000,000 from Bruzzy Westheimer, $1,250,000 from Jim McNatt, and $1,000,000 from Brint Ryan.

Is that Mac's buyout money?

• Upvote 3

I found this on meangreensports....

• At halftime, North Texas Athletics announced donations of $1,000,000 from Bruzzy Westheimer, $1,250,000 from Jim McNatt, and $1,000,000 from Brint Ryan.

Is that Mac's buyout money?

No, some of the funds were used for other programs like basketball and golf.

• Upvote 1

• Harry pinned this topic

Always tough to let any employee go.  Unfortunately, I have had to do it many times, but in many cases it just had to be done.  And, this seems to be one of those cases.  It's easy to call for someone else to fire someone...much tougher to be the one having to make that call.  None the less, it was time...perhaps a game or two past time, but time to move on.  

All hail...the king is dead...long live the king!  Hopefully, everyone understands the meaning behind that statement.  Pretty obvious, but you never know.

Personally, I will always remember fondly that Heart of Dallas Bowl victory which was so long in coming.  Hard to describe that feeling as a member of the great, but long suffering football Mean Green Nation.  Mac led the team to that bowl victory, so I will remember his tenure for that.  I wish him well in whatever way he decides to turn...HC, coordinator, position coach or retirement. But, as RV said, it is time for UNT to turn in a new direction.

Seems obvious that Mac had lost this team.  Much like June Jones lost last year's version of the SMU team.  All but impossible to lead once you have lost the trust and confidence of those you try to lead.  So, for everyone's benefit, this move had to be made...and it was.  Hopefully, the team will rally around our co-interim coaches, and we will witness a new invigorated Mean Green come Thursday.  Man, tough to have a Thursday game after a HC change, but it was time none the less.

Mac gave us all he had and then some.  The vast majority of fans praised the hire, but it just did not work for any number of reasons...pick your own favorite.  But, no one can say that Mac did not give it all he had and then some.  I thank Mac for that effort and for what he tried to do for the Mean Green Nation.  No coach ever likes to lose nor coaches to lose.  Perhaps, in Mac's case, it was more style than anything else that did him in here and with today's players.  Position coaches seem to be able to get away with the "old school" stuff more than today's HC. Players don't seem to respond to it like they once did...unless, of course, your name is Saban and you are actually winning national championships.

I do also worry about all the assistants who must be concerned about their positions as well.  Times like these are tough on coaching families.

I'm not even going to waste time reading your crap. I don't call out people on here, but you sir are such a company man. A few hours ago you were spewing the company line, but now you get it. Your -'s are a symbol of your rep here. I'm sure you're a nice guy but just go fill some ice at the pavilion or something. No offense.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

Reminder- the Heart of Dallas game was won primarily with Dodge's recruits!  Where are DMc's  great recruits?  He whined a lot about what he inherited-it was an excuse for his failure.  Any objective observer could see  Andrew M  is  not a D1 caliber starting quarterback, ye DM stuck with him because he was an Iowa boy!   Let's find a good coach  with a Texas connection.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Always tough to let any employee go.  Unfortunately, I have had to do it many times, but in many cases it just had to be done.  And, this seems to be one of those cases.  It's easy to call for someone else to fire someone...much tougher to be the one having to make that call.  None the less, it was time...perhaps a game or two past time, but time to move on.  

All hail...the king is dead...long live the king!  Hopefully, everyone understands the meaning behind that statement.  Pretty obvious, but you never know.

Personally, I will always remember fondly that Heart of Dallas Bowl victory which was so long in coming.  Hard to describe that feeling as a member of the great, but long suffering football Mean Green Nation.  Mac led the team to that bowl victory, so I will remember his tenure for that.  I wish him well in whatever way he decides to turn...HC, coordinator, position coach or retirement. But, as RV said, it is time for UNT to turn in a new direction.

Seems obvious that Mac had lost this team.  Much like June Jones lost last year's version of the SMU team.  All but impossible to lead once you have lost the trust and confidence of those you try to lead.  So, for everyone's benefit, this move had to be made...and it was.  Hopefully, the team will rally around our co-interim coaches, and we will witness a new invigorated Mean Green come Thursday.  Man, tough to have a Thursday game after a HC change, but it was time none the less.

Mac gave us all he had and then some.  The vast majority of fans praised the hire, but it just did not work for any number of reasons...pick your own favorite.  But, no one can say that Mac did not give it all he had and then some.  I thank Mac for that effort and for what he tried to do for the Mean Green Nation.  No coach ever likes to lose nor coaches to lose.  Perhaps, in Mac's case, it was more style than anything else that did him in here and with today's players.  Position coaches seem to be able to get away with the "old school" stuff more than today's HC. Players don't seem to respond to it like they once did...unless, of course, your name is Saban and you are actually winning national championships.

I do also worry about all the assistants who must be concerned about their positions as well.  Times like these are tough on coaching families.

this is what I was looking for in the other thread when I asked your opinion. I totally get that you are on 100% no matter who is in charge. I just wanted know if you supported a change or thought we should ride it out with DMac.

An earlier post beat me to the punch by mentioning is Dan's obvious cronyism in starting a fifth year senior that demonstrated zero ability to play to a level that would at least get the rest of the team to win a game against decent competition.  Anyone outside this program knows that RV absolutely needs to go.   He had done some positive things for the program but if you look at his body of work it is a net failure.  There are too many resources here and alumni living in close proximity to Denton for the program to be so bad at this juncture.  And those failures go way beyond just football.   Not even the most delusional UNT fans demand that we get bowl victories every other year or that our other programs get in the NCAA playoffs every year but there is no excuse for not being competitive every year with chance for post season play hanging in the balance for the last portion of the regular season.  I can't stress enough the size of the university, the wealth of athletic talent near campus, and the attractiveness of many of our academic programs.  But all those things mean little when the university consistently makes decision that demonstrate they aren't demanding the same excellence from their athletic department as they are the other departments of the university.   Keep RV around to select another coach would be another one of those poor decisions that scream "we are only interested in appeasing a certain group of supporter" and by extension distancing themselves from potential supporters who demand excellence.

• Upvote 2