Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

Call Willie Fritz before Ga Southern pays him big time money, Clint Conque at SFA/UCA would be a long shot.

How much is Willie Fritz making?  At some point we are going to have to come up with a competitive compensation package number.

Mean Green 13, that's the BS metality that got us in this situation in the first place. There is a way to get some one who has a bright future and can bring a culture change. If UNT wants to. 

Might give Jim Tressel a call he may want back in D-1. 

No it's not. Plenty of great candidates  who most fans have never heard of. It's pretty obvious the average UNT fan watches UNT, maybe some CUSA, and then big-time P5 football like most people. That's mainly due to the fact that those are the games on TV and teams being talked about on ESPN.

Jim Tressell is the President at Youngstown State. If he left that position it wouldn't be to coach here. That's not defeatist, but realistic. Broaden your scope. It doesn't have to be someone most of us have heard of to be a good hire. Or it could be. Either way, it has to be the right fit and not just someone we've seen on ESPN.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Guys, non of the big names being mentioned, especially the young guys, are gonna touch this job with a 10 foot pole... do not kid yourself. All the guys we are talking about have bright futures ahead of them and with some patience will have their first job at a lower performing p5 school. We are gonna get what we get and be told that it was a good hire in 5 years time. 

Think about Arkansas State before Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, and Bryan Harsin went there. . . . But all of them went there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Recruiting is the name of the game. Kids want to play for someone they have heard of. They want to play for a name or some one who's trendy. That's how we start this thing. 

lets be honest dodge had the best recruiting class at north Texas but screwed it up hiring all high school coaches. Mack went 9-4 with that talent. Those kids knew dodge. Same thing is happening at SMU. 

• Upvote 2

Major Applewhite ain't coming here, folks...

This is a job that is made for the FCS coach or Division 2 coach that has had great success at those levels with a strong offensive scheme and are relatively young.

So we have to listen to you how we won't fire Mac for 2-3 years until his contract is over.  We did.

Now you say we won't try to hire a good coach who can recruit from a FBS program.  I think we can.

Of all the people on here, you should recognize that this isn't the same North Texas.  If it was, we wouldn't have fired Mac after this game.  We wouldn't have come up with the money to buy out his contract.

UNT is - albeit slowly historically - figuring this thing out.  I am optimistic that they will hire a very good coach and will pay him more than what they paid Mac.  I think things are looking up.  Your problem is you base everything on the past.  It is time to focus on the future.

Edited by Harry

Recruiting is the name of the game. Kids want to play for someone they have heard of. They want to play for a name or some one who's trendy. That's how we start this thing. 

lets be honest dodge had the best recruiting class at north Texas but screwed it up hiring all high school coaches. Mack went 9-4 with that talent. Those kids knew dodge. Same thing is happening at SMU. 

You're right. If Dodge wasn't an arrogant fool based on his ego build up from his SLC days, he would likely either still be here or at a job with a bigger program. Funny how things work.

• Downvote 1

So we have to listen to you how we won't fire Mac for 2-3 years until his contract is over.  We did.

Now you say we won't try to hire a good coach who can recruit from a FBS program.  I think we can.

Of all the people on here, you should recognize that this isn't the same North Texas.  If it was, we wouldn't have fired Mac after this game.  We wouldn't have come up with the money to buy out his contract.

UNT is - albeit slowly historically - figuring this thing out.  I am optimistic that they will hire a very good coach and will pay him more than what they paid Mac.  I think things are looking up.  Your problem is you base everything on the past.  It is time to focus on the future.

sure, Harry...I'll focus on the future. If RV is here in the future, to hire a coach, my time as a UNT athletics supporter is over.

Major Applewhite isn't coming here. He will go to a job much higher on the FBS totem pole. I said nothing about UNT not being interested in him or not paying him. He's gonna be up for high level FBS jobs in G5 leagues, places that are far more prestigious than we are. 

Go look at the head coach at SHSU. That's a great place to start.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5