Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

Probably not wanted by anyone but RV, just like DMac nobody was beating his door down except RV.

God this hire could get ugly.

I don't these names are even on a list, more of a "I think __ should coach here because I like him."  Both of these coaches come from the PAC 10, been out of the college game for 10 and 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Those are valid criticisms, but since we're all playing arm-chair A.D. I figured I would play along.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn if any coach who accepts the job at North Texas is on anyone's "list."  Would Jeff Tedford or Dirk Koetter be interested in taking a college job again?  I don't know.  But I sure as hell would ask. They wouldn't be the first coach who was out of the college game for several years and then returned. Just off the top of my head, the first one who comes to mind is Steve Spurrier. I believe he was out of the college game for several years before taking the South Carolina job. I think he did quite well in his return.

Are they coaches that I "like?"  You bet your ass they are!  They were both incredibly successful at their respective schools and ran high-powered offenses.

Do they have any Texas ties?  Probably not.  But that's why you hire assistant coaches with Texas ties. They are the ones who do the recruiting anyway. Besides, if you can recruit, you can recruit.  It doesn't matter where the hell you're from.  And if you can coach, you can coach, it doesn't matter where the hell you've been.

• Downvote 1

Loser at UH.  No thanks.

Technically a winner at 56.4% (22-17) with 2 winning seasons and 1 losing season.  Still wouldn't recommend him as HC though.  Herman has basically the same roster as last year and is 10-0.  Levine was 7-5 with BAD losses to UTSA and Tulane.  Good guy.  Great assistant.  Not a good HC.

Edited by NTXCoog

Technically a winner at 56.4% (22-17) with 2 winning seasons and 1 losing season.  Still wouldn't recommend him as HC though.  Herman has basically the same roster as last year and is 10-0.  Levine was 7-5 with BAD losses to UTSA and Tulane.  Good guy.  Great assistant.  Not a good HC.

isn't Hermann winning with Levines recruits though?

isn't Hermann winning with Levines recruits though?

I have always been impressed by coaches that could come into a program and get better results from the other guy's players. The key is being able to assemble a staff that can keep equal or better talent flowing through the pipe, IMO. I think that is why so many are focused on recruiting ability and Texas knowledge/ties as necessary for the next coach. In hindsight it looks like Mac was good at the former, not so good at the latter.

What  does anyone think of Brady Hoke.  Success at two G5 schools but fired at Michigan.  He is 57.  I heard him on Sirius radio where he indicated wanting to coach.  Many of you know much more about this than I do.  So, fire away.

I think Hoke is looking to coach in the P5's. He seems interested in the USC or SCar job.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/10/22/michigan-football-brady-hoke/74382848/

Side Note: After reading through a few comments, threads, and outside articles. I'm beggining to lean towards a coach that can bring in people with him, This is seriously a football program over haul. Chico is leaving and Cosh ain't going to cut it. We need a guy who can assemble a team of coaches that produce satisfying results for this team and our fan base.

Hoke might want a P5 job, but it ain't gonna be a job like USCw or USCe...he'd be a guy that would get hired at Iowa State or at Wake Forest, not anyone with a good history that has fallen on hard times.

I do wonder who is interested in this job, though. Last time, we picked Mac over Franchione. The time before, we picked Dodge over Jimbo Fisher (please don't include Harbaugh in this list--we wouldn't afford him and he used us for interview experience).

I think Sonny Cumbie is the most recognizable name that would garner attention with the DFW media and the fanbase. Lincoln Riley would do that , as well, but I have a feeling that OU will pay him to stay as the OC after this season. And I like Chris Thomsen because of the job he did at ACU, but nobody has heard of him within the casual fanbase and media. Derek Dooley would be a great fit, from a PR standpoint--fans now him, he's been a head coach with success at a CUSA conference mate, and he could potentially use his connections with the Cowboys for a recruiting benefit when talking to potential recruits, i.e.. getting Dez to come talk to a player or Terrance Williams, since we probably won't be going after the same recruits as OSU or Baylor anytime soon. He may have the most upside of any possible candidate, but who knows if he even wants to coach anywhere but the NFL after this, much less at a G5 college again.

Hoke might want a P5 job, but it ain't gonna be a job like USCw or USCe...he'd be a guy that would get hired at Iowa State or at Wake Forest, not anyone with a good history that has fallen on hard times.

I do wonder who is interested in this job, though. Last time, we picked Mac over Franchione. The time before, we picked Dodge over Jimbo Fisher (please don't include Harbaugh in this list--we wouldn't afford him and he used us for interview experience).

I think Sonny Cumbie is the most recognizable name that would garner attention with the DFW media and the fanbase. Lincoln Riley would do that , as well, but I have a feeling that OU will pay him to stay as the OC after this season. And I like Chris Thomsen because of the job he did at ACU, but nobody has heard of him within the casual fanbase and media. Derek Dooley would be a great fit, from a PR standpoint--fans now him, he's been a head coach with success at a CUSA conference mate, and he could potentially use his connections with the Cowboys for a recruiting benefit when talking to potential recruits, i.e.. getting Dez to come talk to a player or Terrance Williams, since we probably won't be going after the same recruits as OSU or Baylor anytime soon. He may have the most upside of any possible candidate, but who knows if he even wants to coach anywhere but the NFL after this, much less at a G5 college again.

That's not true.   The 1st of the two reasons you cited for not getting Harbaugh is the same reason we didn't get Fisher.   RV didn't "pick" Dodge over Fisher.  RV had a budget to work with and Dodge fit that budget.

What  does anyone think of Brady Hoke.  Success at two G5 schools but fired at Michigan.  He is 57.  I heard him on Sirius radio where he indicated wanting to coach.  Many of you know much more about this than I do.  So, fire away.

Here's a good fire: he mishandled the health and livelihood of his players in an egregious manner.