Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

Guys, let's consider looking at a possible head coach in a different manner.Instead of listing who we might like to see hired, lets list coaches who we think might be interested in coaching at UNT. Frankly, I just don't know how good a job opportunity it is,as we have the worst football program in D1. Yes, we have a new stadium, but that just leveled the playing field. So fire away.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Guys, let's consider looking at a possible head coach in a different manner.Instead of listing who we might like to see hired, lets list coaches who we think might be interested in coaching at UNT. Frankly, I just don't know how good a job opportunity it is,as we have the worst football program in D1. Yes, we have a new stadium, but that just leveled the playing field. So fire away.

1.  New stadium

2.  FBS school

3.  Decent conference

4.  In a large metro area

5.  In a football heavy state with tons of recruits

6. Large school

• Upvote 3

Derek Dooley would be a "two fer". That hire would solve both problems, at AD and HFC. Back him with an experienced Asst. AD to carry some of the administrative load, especially during football season, and you could have the best of both worlds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Derek Dooley would be a "two fer". That hire would solve both problems, at AD and HFC. Back him with an experienced Asst. AD to carry some of the administrative load, especially during football season, and you could have the best of both worlds.

I don't know about Dooley, but I wouldn't mind the old school AD/HC approach myself. If he has the right support, it tends to breed school loyalty. Save a few bucks too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Colby Carthel has recruited, over the last 15 years, 20+ plus players who have played in the NFL as per his advice.  He did that on the FCS level. His dad was a great Texas college coach and they have strong hs coach support.  He is young, he has built programs and he wins.

How old is he?  I'm not sure I'd call someone with 15 years experience "young".  We are at a pivotal point in the history, and future of our program.  I'm not sure we can risk hiring someone who has been coaching at a lower level for his career.  I could be wrong, but I think that has to be considered when making our hire.  I'm not saying it should be the deciding factor in a decision, but it should be considered.

Hire Chico.

On what merits?  I'm not saying he doesn't get a look, but what doo you feel qualifies him to take over?

• Upvote 1

How old is he?  I'm not sure I'd call someone with 15 years experience "young".  We are at a pivotal point in the history, and future of our program.  I'm not sure we can risk hiring someone who has been coaching at a lower level for his career.  I could be wrong, but I think that has to be considered when making our hire.  I'm not saying it should be the deciding factor in a decision, but it should be considered.

On what merits?  I'm not saying he doesn't get a look, but what doo you feel qualifies him to take over?

He's already here and he beat UT-SA.  That's why.

• Harry unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Colby Carthel is 39 years old and has done a bangup job turning around a program that Guy Morriss left in shambles. He has even done better than our own Scotty Conley did at TAMU-C. The more I read about this guy the more I like him.

• Upvote 2

No true, we'll get who ever we want if we're willing to pay them enough. You get what you pay for and anyone of these guys would be happy to accept if the money is right! Only someone from a pack 5 program, no on the job training, we can't screw this one up again.

Why would the school take a young non-HC from a P5 who has been spoiled his whole career versus someone who has many years of HC experience at varying levels and has shown ability to win at every level not just JUCO, not just D2, etc..

I would prefer a proven winner over a spoiled P5 flash in the fan, who fails when reality hits that they do not have the same amenities of a P5

• Upvote 2

I realize I am a visitor but I have first hand knowledge of what Dooley can do to your program.  He will ensure the expansion projects are a focus, the trash cans are positioned properly around the complex and can teach proper showering techniques to athletes.  We have a rock that the students paint and I thought I would let you see a couple of highlights from the Dooley era.

672130178.jpgderek-doolander-tennessee-rock.jpeg?resi

Edited by Vols Deep
  • Upvote 3

I realize I am a visitor but I have first hand knowledge of what Dooley can do to your program.  He will ensure the expansion projects are a focus, the trash cans are positioned properly around the complex and can teach proper showering techniques to athletes.  We have a rock that the students paint and I thought I would let you see a couple of highlights from the Dooley era.

Thank you. I appreciate the "enlightenment" and will recalculate my position. On the positive side, this should give our students some good ideas!

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed reading the stuff about Dooley, as y'all were our last opponents and so it seemed appropriate.  But not enough to make it a lasting thing.