Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

Dickey had some demons to work through. It happens. I wish him well. He, like Dodge seems to be a good evaluator of talent.

I really like the reality show idea. It would break any number of NCAA violations and that's just fine with me. The NCAA needs to go away. 

That said, who are we looking for? offense or defense?  I like defense coord with loose reigns over offense and a good OC.  But that's what I thought we had in Mac. I was wrong. 

• Upvote 1

So we have to listen to you how we won't fire Mac for 2-3 years until his contract is over.  We did.

Now you say we won't try to hire a good coach who can recruit from a FBS program.  I think we can.

Of all the people on here, you should recognize that this isn't the same North Texas.  If it was, we wouldn't have fired Mac after this game.  We wouldn't have come up with the money to buy out his contract.

UNT is - albeit slowly historically - figuring this thing out.  I am optimistic that they will hire a very good coach and will pay him more than what they paid Mac.  I think things are looking up.  Your problem is you base everything on the past.  It is time to focus on the future.

Extremely accurate post. This time it will be the best available who wants to be here, is a recruiter, recognizes the potential, and sells the program in the metroplex. This is not the old UNT who strictly picked the cheapest. The Prez knows it takes a $400 million endowment to be Tier I. You can not get there with a football team at the bottom of FBS. A horn tooter/teachers college may have satisfied the old Denton Nestors but today's UNT is THE UNIVERSITY FOR ALL OF NORTH TEXAS not just Denton Normal College.

• Upvote 2

do you think he may be interested?  I have to admit I like him and what he has accomplished.  He appears to be a good recruiter with Texas ties.

I definitely think he would.  He left ACU to get experience in a big time D1 football program and eventually land a head coaching job.

• Upvote 1

I don't recall if he's been mentioned, but what about Hudspeth at Louisiana?   Not advocating him, just a question.

I believe he has been mentioned, but I also believe there would be no way.  He's making over a million a year at ULL, they're investing heavily in facilities, they're bringing in good crowds at home, they're winning, they're regularly going to bowl games....It seems to me that UNT would be flattering itself to call it a lateral move.

• Upvote 1

Mike%20Norvell.jpg

Mike Norvell (Arizona State – offensive coordinator / quarterbacks / deputy head coach): In his three years at Arizona State, the Sun Devils have averaged 38 points per game and scored 50-plus points in 12 different games.  Norvell has played a big part in elevating the talent through recruiting at Arizona State, and the program has finished the 2013 season ranked No. 20 and the 2014 season ranked No. 12 in the polls.  In 2013, the Sun Devils were Pac-12 South champs. Todd Graham has stated that Norvell is “the best I’ve ever been around,” and that includes Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris.  Graham has also stated, “He’s the best in the business.” Norvell previously spent one season at Pitt, four years at Tulsa, and one season at Central Arkansas. He is 33 years old. If Arizona State thrives again offensively this season, Norvell could emerge during the coaching carousel season.  Norvell reportedly earns a salary of $900,000, and he was given the title of deputy head coach in December 2013.

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207923333

Edited by gangrene
  • Upvote 2

Mike%20Norvell.jpg

Mike Norvell (Arizona State – offensive coordinator / quarterbacks / deputy head coach): In his three years at Arizona State, the Sun Devils have averaged 38 points per game and scored 50-plus points in 12 different games.  Norvell has played a big part in elevating the talent through recruiting at Arizona State, and the program has finished the 2013 season ranked No. 20 and the 2014 season ranked No. 12 in the polls.  In 2013, the Sun Devils were Pac-12 South champs. Todd Graham has stated that Norvell is “the best I’ve ever been around,” and that includes Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris.  Graham has also stated, “He’s the best in the business.” Norvell previously spent one season at Pitt, four years at Tulsa, and one season at Central Arkansas. He is 33 years old. If Arizona State thrives again offensively this season, Norvell could emerge during the coaching carousel season.  Norvell reportedly earns a salary of $900,000, and he was given the title of deputy head coach in December 2013.

would take him in a heartbeat.  May be out of our league but worth a shot.  He could change the face of the program with his recruiting abilities.

What Midwestern State Coach, has team 7/0 and #10 in D2

Jacksonville St Coach always high in FCS

Just a little information on Jacksonville State HC. 

http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=447&path=football

Took over a good football program.  This season is only his 3rd year coaching on the college level. JSU grad.

• Upvote 1

Mike%20Norvell.jpg

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207923333

That's Thomsen to Norvell's left.  Chris Thomsen,that is.

• Upvote 1

Although this thread is getting a lot of traffic, I don't think it matters as long is RV is here making the hire.  However I would like to ask the group would they be interested in the Father & Son Spurrier AD & Head Coach team?  I think something like that is the only way you turn this program around fast.  I will be eligible for a senior discount when this program digs out this mess at current rate.  There needs to a total reset here beyond the head coach.  It is like when Jerry Jones was meddling with the team making terrible coaching hires and player personnel moves.  The Harbaugh's or any other young coach hired when Jerry was meddling would have failed in Dallas and it is no different here.  And it is even worse here because RV doesn't own the team at least with Jerry you know the devil you would be dealing with your entire tenure with the Cowboys.