Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

+1, I don't know why so many around here don't think this stuff is funny. I find it well placed and hilarious.

200.gif

You realize most major programs hire away head coaches from successful big schools, in order to attempt to steal recruits away and get them committed right? You think SMU brought Mathis in for any other reason? They want an easy in to Desoto.  Same for Tech with the hiring of the Skyline coach.  It is a common practice and if it works out the guy never has to coach a position, helps recruit and thats it.  If he ends up being a decent coach then you got a good coach, an in for recruiting and possible pipeline to a great program.  If it doesn't work, you get rid of the position coach.  Simple solution, with a possible HUGE upside. What do you think about it?

I have not seen this name yet.

Chris Klieman - Head Coach at North Dakota State.. He won the National title last year, his first taking over from previous coach. They are currently 4-1 on this year.

http://www.gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=871&path=football

That would be like hiring Todd Dodge all over again. This guy was handed a historically good program. 

You realize most major programs hire away head coaches from successful big schools, in order to attempt to steal recruits away and get them committed right? You think SMU brought Mathis in for any other reason? They want an easy in to Desoto.  Same for Tech with the hiring of the Skyline coach.  It is a common practice and if it works out the guy never has to coach a position, helps recruit and thats it.  If he ends up being a decent coach then you got a good coach, an in for recruiting and possible pipeline to a great program.  If it doesn't work, you get rid of the position coach.  Simple solution, with a possible HUGE upside. What do you think about it?

Sorry, I was confused, I thought you were saying a high school qb coach would be our choice for head coach.

• Upvote 1

This goes against my wish for someone who has not had the "college silver spoon in his mouth" background, but.....

Brent Nenables.  

Defensive Coordinator at Clemson. 

44 years old

2014 DC of the year by footballscoop.com

Coached under Snyder at K State and Stoops at OU

Has been successfully defending against top offenses for 19 years.

Would probably enjoy squaring off against his buddy Chad at SMU the next however many years?

http://www.tigernet.com/clemson-football/coach/Brent-Venables-7

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

This goes against my wish for someone who has not had the "college silver spoon in his mouth" background, but.....

Brent Nenables.  

44 years old

Would probably enjoy squaring off against his buddy Chad at SMU the next however many years?

Rick

I wouldn't mind hiring a defensive minded coach but I would want to make sure he is open to forward thinking offensive concept. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I was confused, I thought you were saying a high school qb coach would be our choice for head coach.

haha oh no not at all, a position coach at best, at worst a recruiting coordinator

• Upvote 1

Brent Nenables.  

44 years old

Rick

venables is a great recruiter for P5s, but that's a recipe for disaster to try and get a guy who has mainly seen how big to giant P5s run their programs.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind hiring a defensive minded coach but I would want to make sure he is open to forward thinking offensive concept. 

So...if we hire an offensive minded coach...(Like Dodge?) you would want to make sure he is open to a forward thinking defensive concept too...right?

Everyone seems to think the only recruit out there to go after is an offensive player.    Head coaches have to recruit and developed players..the best players...offense and defense.  

Rick

• Upvote 2

So...if we hire an offensive minded coach...(Like Dodge?) you would want to make sure he is open to a forward thinking defensive concept too...right?

Everyone seems to think the only recruit out there to go after is an offensive player.    Head coaches have to recruit and developed players..the best players...offense and defense.  

Rick

Yep.  I want both if I can get it.  I at least want to see some examples and how much it would cost to get it.

Rick

Yep. Sad that Dodge had such a bad case of tunnel vision. We could possibly be sitting in the Top 25 right now if only he had not.

• Upvote 1

Yep. Sad that Dodge had such a bad case of tunnel vision. We could possibly be sitting in the Top 25 right now.

Had Dodge received competant  guidance from his boss when first hired and forward you may very well be correct.

Most people( including Dr. Smatresk) probably have no idea how it is that some of the worst outcomes were the end result of the ad's decisions.

Look no further than this 12 straight game season.  WKY would have a difficult time with it, much less a returning 4-8 team that everyone knew would struggle.

Rick

• Downvote 1

An offensive minded head coach will go out and find a DC and let him do his job. A defensive minded head coach will hire an OC and let him do his job. The main thing is there needs to be coaches that can recruit and explain what UNT has to offer and make the recruit believe things are going to change, and that they want to be part of the change. 

It is not rocket science. It amazes me how on the college, high school, and NFL levels organizations make the wrong hire over and over and wonder why they never win. 

• Downvote 1

Brent Nenables.  

44 years old

Rick

I'd take him too but he's making $875 this year.. I dont know if he'll take the same to coach at UNT

You want to hire 2 ex Kansas coaches that did nothing at KU? Whats wrong with people....

Turner Gill did nothing with Mangino's recruits. He was gone after two years. But I'd be ok with him as a solid candidate.

Mangino built that thing up from rock bottom--and it was rock bottom--to winning a BCS game in the 2007 Orange Bowl over Va Tech, finishing #7 in the final AP poll.

I don't think Mangino will get a fair chance to be a head coach again, just because of his harsh personality and his obese frame, which is cause for anyone to feel comfortable in offering him a long-term contract for health reasons alone.

I have known Sonny Cumbie for many years. He can recruit his tail off. He is a competitor and will give UNT everything he has. Would be an excellent choice. 

being from West Texas myself , growing up a Tech fan, and spending 2 years there - I love and respect walk on Cumbie out of Snyder... Buts he's what ....33!  That's pretty young for HC!  I love his 'winners spirit', but I think Doug Meacham is a better choice, but I thinks he's heading for bigger things.  I'd be happy with Sonny - he is a winner and hard worker, but at his age is he ready?