Who Should Be The Next Head Coach @UNT

Eagle-96

Yeah, that's how it has seemed lately.  It's funny, TCU fans wanted us to take Spav when his name was included in that tweet. It's interesting to me that Applewhite has never been considered for an HC job yet, to my knowledge, considering where he has been. I wonder if that says anything negatively towards his ability to run a program.

I believe Briles is 34. Certainly doesn't exclude his from being a good coach, but still he has to get an interview if he's interested. You should be able to find out to a degree there if that's the case for him or not.

His name was brought up a few times in reference to good jobs. He was rumored for the Houston job after Briles left, at least. He hadn't been associated with a nationally prominent offense with buzz like Kliff Kingsbury, which is likely why he wasn't seriously considered sooner. He is only a year older than Kinsbury, who is one of the youngest in the nation. ~40 is about the time when people start getting head coaching gigs. Apple white is 37. For comparison, here is a list of the youngest FBS coaches in the nation.

Kingsbury's name blew up when he rode the Johnny Football train to stardom, right when his alma mater had an opening. Things worked perfectly for him and he has struggled a bit growing into the gig. I like Applewhite for the name recognition, his experience at big (Texas, 'Bama) and smaller programs (Houston, Rice), ups (playing experience, Rice turnaround, end of Colt McCoy Texas years, present Houston years) and downs (Syracuse awfulness, Alabama early struggle, later Texas years). I don't hold some of the down year stuff against him, because Mack Brown / Greg Robinson were ultimately responsible. I also don't like that he has moved around a ton, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be successful. He likely would have stayed longer under Todd Graham (who also moves around a ton but is successful everywhere) but he left for Tulsa. 

But its easy to talk yourself into any one of these guys. North Texas is a special kind of beast. We are in a small town in a big market. Denton exists in its own world, yet is outshone by the bright lights of the Metroplex. The only college football teams from DFW that have achieved near national championship status have been private schools in the hearts of the bigger towns. I say that to mean that any new guy will have public school problems with a tiny school budget, and you cannot be the boring because by no means are you the only game in town like Boise or Utah or BYU or any other little school that could. 

• Upvote 4

1. Houston Nutt  I don't see the attraction.  Other than when he had Gus Malzahn as his O.C., he ran a very bland, unimaginative, predictable offense (like Coach Mac).  He tends to make a lot of enemies (like Dickey).  He's approaching 60 years old.

2. Turner Gill  He did nice things at Buffalo, but he absolutely drove KU's program into the ground.

3. Major Applewhite  Not bad.  He doesn't excite me tremendously, but he ought to be able to bring in recruits.

4. Mike [you mean Mark] Mangino  Great coach.  He comes with some baggage, though.

1. Houston Nutt  I don't see the attraction.  Other than when he had Gus Malzahn as his O.C., he ran a very bland, unimaginative, predictable offense (like Coach Mac).  He tends to make a lot of enemies (like Dickey).  He's approaching 60 years old.

2. Turner Gill  He did nice things at Buffalo, but he absolutely drove KU's program into the ground.

3. Major Applewhite  Not bad.  He doesn't excite me tremendously, but he ought to be able to bring in recruits.

4. Mike [you mean Mark] Mangino  Great coach.  He comes with some baggage, though.

Roughly 400 lbs. of baggage?

I'm sorry, that's probably a little mean. I keed, I keed.

latest?cb=20150701040321

Edited by TheFranchise
  • Upvote 3

4. Mike [you mean Mark] Mangino  Great coach.  He comes with some baggage, though.

I like Mark Mangino as a candidate. He is the only dude that actually had success at Kansas -- and not just 7-5 and a midlevel bowl but an Orange Bowl win over VaTech. They were ranked #2 in the nation at one point. 

He was fired for yelling and saying inappropriate things to kids. (Saying awful things, apparently). I don't condone it, but I also believe in a second chance. The guy can coach.  

• Upvote 1

I like Mark Mangino as a candidate. He is the only dude that actually had success at Kansas -- and not just 7-5 and a midlevel bowl but an Orange Bowl win over VaTech. They were ranked #2 in the nation at one point. 

He was fired for yelling and saying inappropriate things to kids. (Saying awful things, apparently). I don't condone it, but I also believe in a second chance. The guy can coach.  

that just goes back to the softness of many players now days, how dare you actually criticize mom's little darling. Wussification of everything strong

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I have known Sonny Cumbie for many years. He can recruit his tail off. He is a competitor and will give UNT everything he has. Would be an excellent choice. 

Good to hear.  My friend who is a big TCU backer says he is really special.  I agree he would make a great choice.

What about Dan Hawkins? He preceded Chris Petersen at Boise St. and helped put them on the map in the early 2000's. He eventually left and Petersen took over, starting their dominance in the Mid-major world. Hawkins is only 54 and was really successful at Boise st. He wasn't nearly as good at Colorado, but has posted a 112-61-1 record as a head coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Brad Smiley

You want someone that can recruit?  He has to recruit a new team every year and they are good year in and year out.  He brought TVCC out of the ashes and made them a great program.  High School Coaches love him and you can not find a better person to be the face of your program.  He works his ass off and he does it the right way.  He also will not use North Texas as a stepping stone.