USA v. Mexico, 8pm CST saturday

critical match for both nations as it will lead to a birth in the Confederation's Cup and important preparation for the 2018 World Cup. US coach Jurgen Klinnsman has named an experienced, defensively-heavy (read: conservative) side ahead of a match where rumors are circling should he lose it might cost him his job

after going in, showing alma-pride and watching the first quarter of the UNT game, I plan on departing Apogee and supporting local business (almost certainly Eastside) and watching this match. come join! not you though, Ben Gooding! 

likely XI...4-2-3-1

Brad Guzan - I think few would question that Tim Howard is the better keeper, but Klinnsman is loyal to those who have been most recently in his team

Fabian Johnson - Geoff Cameron - Matt Besler - DaMarcus Beasley - Cameron and Besler have picked a good time to round into peak form for their clubs...not sure how frequently this partnership has been used in central defense, but on form and ability it's about as good as it gets for the USMNT. Johnson's versatility is so vital for this squad that RB might be his 4th best position and coupled with Beasley's continued best-option inclusion is an indicting commentary on the state of US fullback development

Kyle Beckerman - Jermain Jones - Klinnsman's insistence at playing Bradley further up the pitch may be starting to pay dividends, which would allow for this more conservative, destroying holding duo in front of the back 4...Jones can occasionally push forward, knowing well that Beckerman will continue to sit with an eye toward breaking up a fluid Mexican attack

Gyasi Zardes - Michael Bradley - Clint Dempsey -  Dempsey will play nominally on the wing, but in all likelihood end up more off Altidore in a mushed-up 4-4-2...Bradley, as always, will be looked to for the key pass or late run into the box...Zardes provides just about the only pace in the squad and will have to be better than he's shown previously at holding up play

Jozy Altidore - he's bagged a few goals over the past few weeks, so his confidence will be as high as it's been in two years...saw some decent touches and hold up play in the friendlies, but of most importance he'll have to keep his emotions in check.

this leaves Yedlin, Bedoya and Wondolowski as attacking options off the bench should the US need a goal late on, with damn-near the entire remainder of the squad available to help sure up a lead. 

2-0 USA. obviously. 

• Upvote 1

I don't like any of the back line but Johnson. Beasley is terrible. I am shocked he is still a member of the U.S. National Team.

I have not been impressed with Beckerman, but he is light years beyond Zusi. I was excited by wins against Holland and Germany, but the Brazil loss was demoralizing, thank god I am a UNT football fan so lopsided losses don't affect me too badly.

Not playing Yedlin is a mistake. His pace gives opposing teams fits. I am not sure why he isn't in the starting 11. Jozy Altidore is the Jennifer Annison of U.S. Soccer. Everybody wants him to immerge as the potent striker we all want him to be. However in the end he just lets us down. I may have to leave Jennifer alone, she has finally tied the knot with someone. People would always wonder why she was single. I, having no firsthand knowledge would say "it is because she sucks." Why else is a hot woman single?

The tipping point in this game is that USA has Mexico's number. It may be psychological, but we own them.

I don't think Klinsman is in trouble. I don't like his insistence on foreign born "U.S. players", but he has made up competitive on the international scene. However if his team doesn't believe in him or his system than it may be time to go.

Just my two cents.

Go U.S.A. and Go Mean Green

I think you're under-selling Cameron a lot...he's been asked to play everywhere, for both club and country, but we're seeing what he can do now when getting a true run-out at CB for Stoke. I do think the eventual back-line will have Fabian at LB and Yedlin at RB, but for now Yedlin's defending and awareness is just not up to snuff...that's why he's been deployed on the right mid/wing. 

I love Mix...and think he pops up with some big goals for the national team, but he has been in atrocious form the past month or two and Zusi's inclusion is more a reflection of that than anything he's done. 

Jozy is going to keep his place until someone can legitimately fill his role...and frankly there doesn't seem to be anyone on the horizon...it was supposed to be Terrence Boyd, but he can't stay fit and while the likes of Johansson, Morris and Wood (less him) are intriguing, none can match Jozy's physicality and hold-up play...they're all second strikers or wingers. no, Jozy never truly fulfilled his potential, but then again a lot of people built him up to be a lot more than he is.  

as for the us/foreign-born players...I don't think it's fair to say JK "insists" upon foreign players...he's done what every national team manager has done and expanded his net in an ever-fluid citizenship environment. I do think he should be dipping into MLS a bit more...Yedlin and Zardes have been hits...I think the likes of Ethan Finlay, Sebastian Lleget and Benny Feilhaber (though he was born in Brazil) ought to have their opportunity. 

this roster for saturday should probably be put in a capsule, because it's likely the last time you'll see names like Zusi, Evans, Beasley, Wondolowski and maybe even Jermain Jones. if you want to look at what the next world cup's roster will look like...especially in central defense and midfield...take a look at the u23 squad, currently in olympic qualification. no fewer than a half-dozen from that squad will be in Russia. 

I like your lineup @Censored by Laurie but the way Klinsmann operates I expect to see either Orozco or Alvarado in the back line because - Klinsmann.

I could also handle this lineup

Yedlin - Besler - Cameron - Beasley

Bedoya - Williams - Bradley - Johnson

Altidore - Zardes

I think we need Zardes up top to keep Mexico honest, and I like Williams and Bradley to destroy as they are more athletic. Plus this gives us speed on both sides of the field as well.

@H-towngreen Mix isn't on the 23.

well...that sure was an ugly international break

so rather than focus on the past, let's look ahead to the future. personally, I think we're going to see sweeping changes to the USMNT ahead of the 2018 world cup, with a large number of mainstays no longer figuring in Klinnsman's (or, whoever's) plan. the U23s, while not truly gelling as a unit in Olympic qualification (though they still have a chance v Colombia) are flush with talent, especially in some key areas in need of reinforcing on the national team

my way too early 2018 world cup roster

Goalkeepers (3) - Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Zack Steffan - I think Howard still has enough in the tank for one more cycle, and if he does both in terms of leadership and ability he has far greater quality than Guzan or anyone else in the set-up

Central Defense (4) - John Anthony Brooks, Matt Miazaga, Geoff Cameron, Cameron Carter-Vickers - modern football requires center-halfs to be as athletic as they are imposing...this group, save for Cameron, would all certainly need to make great strides in terms of positioning and awareness, but with Miazaga already a regular for a top MLS side at 21 and Brooks seeing regular time in the Bundisliga the potential for growth in those two is likely. CCV might be a stretch...he needs some loan moves away from Spurs academy.

Wide Defense (4) - DeAndre Yedlin, Fabian Johnson, Ashton Gotz, Johnathon Spector - such a dearth of options here...Yedlin should be a regular FB by 2018...Gotz is my hopeful next dual-citi swithch...Spector finally lives up to his potential

Central Midfield (5) - Danny Williams, Michael Bradley, Benny Feilhaber, Gedion Zelalem, Fatai Alashe - Williams and Alashe ascend and hopefully elevate the holding thrones of Jones and Beckerman...Bradley is still integral, from a deeper role...Feilhaber forces his way back into the set up...Zelalem has the range of passing and touch needed to elevate the US profile, though he'll really only get to shine come 2022

Wide Midfield/Wingers (4) - Jordan Morris, Jerome Keiswetter, Joe Gyau, Ethan Finlay - totally revamped wings...with actual wingers. Morris can tuck in as a second striker as well...Keiswetter was the US's best player during Olympic qualification and if Gyau makes it back from injury those two have both power and pace...Finlay has had a brilliant year in MLS and adds a bit of craft and guile to the wing

Strikers (3) - Jozy Altidore, Aron Johansson, Jordan Siebatcheu - for all of Jozy's faults, he's still the best option here...Johansson is unquestionably talented, but needs to find his niche in the national set-up...Siebatcheu is another big hopeful, 6'3" dual-citi currently 19 and scoring goals in Ligue 1 in France...if he continues to develop he could finally be the true striker the US needs to supplant Jozy at the head of the attack

last 6 cut -

Tim Ream - isn't athletic enough to play LB, isn't physical enough to play CB

Ventura Alvarado -  things might be different for he and Ream if the US went 3 or 5 at the back, but that seems unlikely

Timmy Chandler - good riddance

Alejandro Bedoya and Mix Diskerud - I'm fans of both, but their lack of a real specialty, be it as out and out wingers or as true creative forces in the center of the park, may kill their chances

Clint Dempsey - a repeat of the out-cry for Landon in 2014