MGB: McCarney says there is no such thing as a "gamer"

Brett Vito

Anyone who has played almost at any level, knows that indeed there are a lot of players that absolutely raise their performances level on game days.  I can't believe any coach would believe any different.

Now, there are also a lot of coaches that believe that rewarding players who don't show up in practices is a bad practice.  You can effectively argue that point on the basis it does more harm than help to a team to devalue practice performance.   I can understand this stance, but to deny that "gamers" do not exist is nonsensical. 

• Upvote 4

DMac you are the only one full of BS, again lets see your little boy has one of the worst QB ratings in FBS, he can not do squat against first team defenses, he threw a pick 6 against Iowa yet "He played a solid game", he fumbles, he got sacked 3x on 3rd down in the 1Q alone, now who is the f***in gamer.

You sabotage Wilson by taking him out after he runs for big yards only to see your favorite run 3 and out, you sabotage Smith by bringing him in for 3 series where he puts up more yards than your lil son, but throw one ill-advised INT and it is hook and throw under the bus.

Time to resign DMac and take your favorite sons with you, you have almost destroyed everything that has gifted to you when your over-hyped and overpaid egostical ass showed up here 5 yrs ago. You just got blasted by a team that had been 1-23 the past 2 seasons, thanks for the progress, now save what little dignity you have and resign for the betterment of the university.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

BS?  Really Dan?  BS!?

What you feed to us is BS.  What we're subjected to week in and week out is BS.  SMU, Rice, Southern Miss all "great teams" that is BS!

To be honest, we have made them look like "Great" teams. We will make Portland State look like a "Great" team this Saturday

• Upvote 1

Mac is wrong, but...so is Smith.  He's been in games and hasn't shown this "gamer" ability of which he speaks. 

The problem is that Smith is here in the first place. And, McNulty. And, Greer.  None of them are cut out for this level.  We have no options at QB.

Probably right, but I'd like to see what Smith can do with a full week of 1st team practice reps and starting and playing a whole game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Probably right, but I'd like to see what Smith can do with a full week of 1st team practice reps and starting and playing a whole game.

Only McNulty is allowed to make mistakes and learn on the job, and it's to the doghouse for everyone else. Unless McNulty has a younger brother, it'll be sadly interesting to see how he handles the position next year with no McNulty to coddle. He can't send them all to the doghouse, or can he?

• Upvote 1

Two Things:

1. Does anyone or can anyone get the film on when Smith was in the game against Southern Miss? The reason why, I think it would be good for us as a group to review these "Inconsistencies" that Mac says Smith has.

2. I twittered Vito but if Smith is a "Gamer", does that make McNulty a "Practicer"?

Here is the thing why was DaMarcus Smith out there in first place? I think its a fair question for Mac. If he has these inconsistencies in practice and you dont trust him why did he even see the field taking meaningful snaps? Mac is such a big proponent of practicing well, yet he allows a kid to play who doesnt practice well? Why? Why throw dirt on the kid?

Oh wait he changed some plays on the field that he wasnt supposed to, so you're gonna punish him and talk bad about him. But arent you already punishing him for missing spring ball? 

Oh wait you dont have excuses do you? Oh you do.

Please Sir step away from this university. Step away from this program. 

Stop running from the truth Mac. You have no idea what you're doing. You never did with QBs and you never will. 

• Upvote 3

Anyone who has played almost at any level, knows that indeed there are a lot of players that absolutely raise their performances level on game days.  I can't believe any coach would believe any different.

Now, there are also a lot of coaches that believe that rewarding players who don't show up in practices is a bad practice.  You can effectively argue that point on the basis it does more harm than help to a team to devalue practice performance.   I can understand this stance, but to deny that "gamers" do not exist is nonsensical. 

I take 11 Gamers, he takes 11 practice studs.  Bet I win the game 98 out of 100 times.  Guys who make plays do so for a reason, guys who don't for the same reason.  There is something innate in us that has the "Fight or Flight" mentality and gamers will FIGHT practice heroes will resort to FLIGHT or as some say "choke".  Just my opinion on the subject. 

• Upvote 1

I take 11 Gamers, he takes 11 practice studs.  Bet I win the game 98 out of 100 times.  Guys who make plays do so for a reason, guys who don't for the same reason.  There is something innate in us that has the "Fight or Flight" mentality and gamers will FIGHT practice heroes will resort to FLIGHT or as some say "choke".  Just my opinion on the subject. 

Its because you're a coach.

You're not discounting practice, but you know who puts on when the lights shine. 

Gamers do their prep work to, but sometimes it doesnt look good in practice. Sometimes they just have that extra pep in their step when they step in between those lines.

Yes,  Watch the Southern Miss highlights.  Their version have a couple of sacks of Smith, plus his bonehead interception in the end zone.

He's no better than McNulty.  He does not have the ability to escape pressure...or, he didn't against USM.  If he were truly that much better than McNulty, he could have shown it. 

Unfortunately for us, all of our quarterbacks are pretty bad, and in a not good way.  It doesn't matter which one of them is in the game taking sacks, missing receivers, and turning the ball over.  It really doesn't.  

We have to get a coach in here who can recognize QB talent.  Set aside the notion of "developing" it for a second.  Just recognizing it to begin with.  If the talent level isn't there, you are not going to develop it anyway. 

Sooooo All of McNulty's interceptions have been well thought out geniouse ones?

Wait a minute is HarringtonFishSmeller Andrew McNulty?

• Upvote 2

Fools!  All of you.  Mac wears a championship ring!!!

Any truth to the rumor that the players kiss that ring on the way out of the locker room before touching Spiriki?

• Upvote 1

Mac is wrong, but...so is Smith.  He's been in games and hasn't shown this "gamer" ability of which he speaks. 

The problem is that Smith is here in the first place. And, McNulty. And, Greer.  None of them are cut out for this level.  We have no options at QB.

I'd slow down there, TFLF. USM QB didn't show anything his first year in FBS. Now look at him.

That is the difference between McNulty and Smith. McNulty is a 5th year senior who has proven he will never get the job done. Smith has played 4 series (one with WKU) of FBS football.

There is a possibility, even if you believe it is slight, that Smith has an upside we know McNulty absolutely doesn't.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Its because you're a coach.

You're not discounting practice, but you know who puts on when the lights shine. 

Gamers do their prep work to, but sometimes it doesnt look good in practice. Sometimes they just have that extra pep in their step when they step in between those lines.

Yes, and it is my job to get out of them everything I can in practice. Will we butt heads? Your dang right will he do plenty of bear crawls and sprints and up downs your dang straight.  But you bet your bottom dollar my best players (gamers) will be on the field when the lights come on.  

• Upvote 1

So having no mistakes all week in practice is OK even if you are not able to move the ball, continually get sacked on third down, have most games with more turn overs than touchdowns, generally look like you are only aware of one receiver on the field and only move the ball when the game is far out of reach....but making a poor decision in your first opportunity when you actually got the team in position to score is the problem? What's worse, taking a sack at the 20 and punting so USM can take over at their 40, or throwing a pick in the end zone?

• Upvote 1

He's no better than McNulty.  

So the guy who has barely been on campus a few months, gets no reps with the first team, and has about 20 total snaps here is just as good as the 5th year senior?

I guess you better play the new guy more since he seems to have much more potential.  

• Upvote 5

So the guy who has barely been on campus a few months, gets no reps with the first team, and has about 20 total snaps here is just as good as the 5th year senior?

I guess you better play the new guy more since he seems to have much more potential.  

Remember, potential means you haven't done it yet.  Of course you have to be given an opportunity first, so there is that.