McCarney says UNT’s sticking with McNulty

Harry

He doesn't want Smith to have anything close to Dajon-like McNeese St performance against an FCS team, because then he would be forced to play him against WKU.

Whatever Mac. Waiting for the excuse you use to keep him on the bench when we are 0-6...

Hate to be picky but it was Nichols not McNeese We would have never beaten McNeese that badly; otherwise throughly agree with all 90 said. Mac is an egomaniac, maybe alcohol aided however. Have never witnessed anything like his rant at signing day ever from any UNT coach!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hate to be picky but it was Nichols not McNeese We would have never beaten McNeese that badly; otherwise throughly agree with all 90 said. Mac is an egomaniac, maybe alcohol aided however. Have never witnessed anything like his rant at signing day ever from any UNT coach!

Always get those 2 confused.

Have never witnessed anything like his rant at signing day ever from any UNT coach!

I said in another thread that two impartial folks I brought with me who were somewhat unfamiliar with the situation were disturbed by his rant on that night.

When I saw that, it definitely had me wondering what it's like when he is sitting a the dining room table of our recruits with their families...

I bring up DaMarcus Smith pathway here because he, like, Dajon, doesn't seem like a kid who buckles down and gets it done on his own.  He's bounced around due to academics and players in front of him.  He's eager to tell the coach he's a "gamer."  Well, come game time, there was no furious drive for a touchdown, like the first time Derek Thompson saw the field as a true freshman.  Come game time for Smith, the completions were few and far between with an interception and a couple of sacks thrown in. 

DaMarcus didn't come in here, like Baker Mayfield (also a story on him in today's DMN) at Texas Tech and Oklahoma, and win the job in spite of being the guys with the least amount of time in the playbook among the returning quarterbacks.  He didn't light it up like those guys did.  Thompson and Mayfield prepared while they were not starters.  Thompson for a full season sitting on the bench.  Mayfield over the span of just a few weeks after arriving in Lubbock as a walk-on.

Again, it takes work to play quarterback; a lot of work.  At this level, you can't really let down.  And, especially at a place like North Texas where you are not getting the best supporting cast around you year in and year out. 

You're making a lot of assumptions about DT, Dajon and Demarcus's work ethics.

• Upvote 3

A friend of mine who works in the athletic department was there that day and told me about how weird and uncomfortable that whole display/performance was by Mac.

I don't know why anyone would -1 my comment? My friend is a grad from a Power Conference school and has no dog in this fight. I heard this story from him right at the beginning of the year....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I bring up DaMarcus Smith pathway here because he, like, Dajon, doesn't seem like a kid who buckles down and gets it done on his own.  He's bounced around due to academics and players in front of him.  He's eager to tell the coach he's a "gamer."  Well, come game time, there was no furious drive for a touchdown, like the first time Derek Thompson saw the field as a true freshman.  Come game time for Smith, the completions were few and far between with an interception and a couple of sacks thrown in. 

You keep bringing up how he couldn't beat out a "player in front of him".  This isn't like Brock Berglund being unable to beat some dudes at lowly Kansas.   This is the C-USA POY.

And do you recall the personnel Arkansas State had in for DT's "furious drive for a touchdown" back in 2010?   Similar to the LATech personnel when Dajon led a "furious drive for a touchdown" last season:   BACKUPS.

So far, Damarcus has seen 1 series in a complete blowout at Iowa and parts of a game last week where he could at least keep the defense honest by having to defend the deep threats.   

In summary: We simply have not seen enough of DaMarcus to know if he's good, or if he's a bust.

• Upvote 5

Not really.  Thompson won the starting job and did something with it.  The other two didn't/haven't.  So, it's not a huge leap.  DT faced tough times while he was herel but, he didn't quit or light up his twitter with angst about his situation.

Sorry, fellas.  DT worked hard and was successful in the end.  These other two - Dajon quit when the going got tough, and Smith seems intent on pissing and moaning.  What he needs to do is resolve to buckle down so that the next time he's put in the game he isn't throwing interceptions and taking sacks.

You guys and your mythical "more athletic quarterback" angle...string together a decent series or two against FBS-level competition with all of your superior "athletic" ability, please.  For f*ck sake, it would take Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady a week to run a 40 yard dash.  You think anyone gave a sh*t about that when they were in college?  Hell, no, because they could play quarterback. 

Ridiculous.  Some of you need to trade in your football tickets for track and field tickets.  Sheesh. 

I think this is the first post I've ever seen with both an f bomb and the word "sheesh."  It's usually one or the other.

• Upvote 3

You keep bringing up how he couldn't beat out a "player in front of him".  This isn't like Brock Berglund being unable to beat some dudes at lowly Kansas.   This is the C-USA POY.

And do you recall the personnel Arkansas State had in for DT's "furious drive for a touchdown" back in 2010?   Similar to the LATech personnel when Dajon led a "furious drive for a touchdown" last season:   BACKUPS.

So far, Damarcus has seen 1 series in a complete blowout at Iowa and parts of a game last week where he could at least keep the defense honest by having to defend the deep threats.   

In summary: We simply have not seen enough of DaMarcus to know if he's good, or if he's a bust.

Basic scientific/statistical study method here, right? People calling judgement on Smith, but he's barely got a sample, much less a large enough sample to study with.

If Smith can show he's more serious by, I guess, improvising less during practice, maybe he'll see more snaps, and maybe get more PT. Meanwhile, the coaches need to realize that McNulty is gone at the end of the year and unless they truly believe they can pull a bowl season, it's time to bench McNulty and develop Smith and/or Means and maybe even work with Tillman to see if he wants to get behind center. I think we can live with another bad season if 2016 and forward go well because all the right talent had this season to develop. We'll also be pretty mad if 2015 is a bust and 2016 is the same because the right players didn't get enough playing time.

• Upvote 2

Not really.  Thompson won the starting job and did something with it.  The other two didn't/haven't.  So, it's not a huge leap.  DT faced tough times while he was herel but, he didn't quit or light up his twitter with angst about his situation.

Sorry, fellas.  DT worked hard and was successful in the end.  These other two - Dajon quit when the going got tough, and Smith seems intent on pissing and moaning.  What he needs to do is resolve to buckle down so that the next time he's put in the game he isn't throwing interceptions and taking sacks.

Of course DT did something with it, because we stuck with him.  In the end, DT had some great games sandwiched between a whole lot of of meh.  I don't think it's a huge leap to say we might see something just as good or better than McNulty if we stuck with Smith.

It's fascinating to see how the dynamics of social media impact the perception of players by some people on this board.

TFLF is strong with you.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

What he needs to do is resolve to buckle down so that the next time he's put in the game he isn't throwing interceptions and taking sacks.

Wait, who are we talking about?

As far as Southern Miss, yeah...they were really threatened by a quarterback who completed 3 out of 10 passes for 70 yards. 

Hey I'll take those yards per pass attempt over McNulty. DSmiths yards per play was also higher in that game (total offense). So statistically, Smith gives us a better shot of winning? Plus he only played in a few series and he's already equaled McNulty's plays over 50 yards. 

Oh wait I'm cherry picking and making assumptions on a small sample size. (see what I did there?)

Let Damarcus play. McNulty's 47%Comp and 5.5 yards per pass attempt are abysmal. Only one way to go.

He threw a wounded duck for the 61 yard pass, then spent the rest of the time trying to avoid the blitz. 

Nope. Not a wounded duck. He hit Harris in stride about 55 yards downfield from release to catch. Avoiding the blitz? Why was McNulty was pulled initially? Is that really the QBs fault, or should the line take some of the blame (as well as coaching and recruiting that lead the line to that point)?

Smith isn't good.  If I'd never seen a football game in my life, maybe I'd be fooled into thinking something was there.  But, again...many programs were willing to pass on this guy. 

At least 5 didn't pass on him.

The coaches have filled the roster with quarterbacks who are not FBS-level players. 

I'll give you that. But it'll take a lot more than 3 series of Smith playing significant FBS ball for the first time to give up on him yet.

My young inexperienced eyes can see through the tears that there needs to be a QB change, as well as a QB coaching change. And that we need to give Smith more snaps.

• Upvote 1

,O-kay...Smith threw 11 passes - seven incomplete (27% completion percentage), three complete (61, 3, 6 yards), one intercepted.
He ran six times for seven yards.  

Again, these are both bad quarterbacks we are talking about.  There is not a shred of difference in the two of them.  None.  McCarney can play Smith, he can play McNulty.  It doesn't matter.  The results were the same, and they will be the same all year long.

When the season ends, or before, McCarney will be fired or resign.  A new coach will be hired and will sign two or three quarterbacks.  One of the new signees will start in 2016. 

We will hope against all hope that we, at that point, will finally have a coach who recognizes quarterback talent so that we aren't arguing about who is "better" - the quarterback who completes 47% of his passes, or the one who completes 27%.

This is your basis for final judgement?   So stupid.

You may be right!   ... WE JUST HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH.

• Upvote 6

I don't think any of us are saying to completely abandon any QB on this roster in favor of one.

Most of us just want to see Smith given more opportunities rather than these in-and-outs.  Give a QB like Smith 50 snaps straight gameday snaps and see what happens.  Or an entire half.

I'm not suggesting rotating QBs every now and then is the answer.  I just think we can all agree that McNulty is proven to NOT be the answer, MUCH more than any proof one way or the other with Smith..  Why are we not moving in a direction that is building towards the post-McNulty era?

Relax.  Before the season is done, you'll see plenty. Mac/Chico will have to keep rotating them because neither will take the reigns.  So, you'll get your wish. 

As the sayings go:
With Smith, "Be careful what you wish for."
With McNulty: "The horse is already out of the barn" on this one.

I should feel bad for them but...they are both having their school paid for, and would probably tell you, straight up, that they are "grown ass men" who can handle up on their business.

Fantastic.  Hope the defense can rally at some point during the season to at least keep some of the opposing scores down a bit.

If they're going to "rotate" them, then that may prove more detrimental to Smith AND McNulty than just sticking with one or the other.

Smith would need an entire week's worth of practice with the 1s, so he can at least attempt to get on the same page with the OL & receivers consistently.  Then, he would probably need at least 1 complete game start so he's not having to look over his shoulder at McCarney's pissed-off face and wonder if he's coming out or not.
You know, things that McNulty has been provided for quite a while, with few results.

• Upvote 1

Not really.  Thompson 1. won the starting job and did something with it.  The other two didn't/haven't.  2. So, it's not a huge leap.  DT faced tough times while he was herel but, 3. he didn't quit or light up his twitter with angst about his situation.

Sorry, fellas. 4.  DT worked hard and was successful in the end.  These other two - 5. Dajon quit when the going got tough, and Smith seems intent on pissing and moaning.  What he needs to do is resolve to buckle down so that the next time he's put in the game he isn't throwing interceptions and taking sacks.

6. You guys and your mythical "more athletic quarterback" angle...string together a decent series or two against FBS-level competition with all of your superior "athletic" ability, please.  For f*ck sake, it would take Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady a week to run a 40 yard dash.  You think anyone gave a sh*t about that when they were in college?  Hell, no, because they could play quarterback. 

Ridiculous.  Some of you need to trade in your football tickets for track and field tickets.  Sheesh. 

narrrrrrrrraaaaaaaatiiiiiiiiivvvvvvve

booootstraaaaaaap

a then b then seeeeeeeeeeeee

1. DT barely won the starting gig and then held on. He was serviceable at QB at the FBS level. I love him for his contributions but I can also see the facts.

2. It is a huge leap to leave out all the work, staff adjustments, team adjustments, poor backup QB play/practice, poor talent evaluation that comprised the circumstances of DT appointment and QB and subsequent stay therein. 

3. DT most certainly did vent his angst on Twitter multiple times. Mostly responding to criticism after a multi-INT game. 

4. DT worked hard and the team was successful in the end. Largely through the strength of a high scoring defense / ST combo that we haven't seen in years. The offense totaled lots of yards and points but wasn't historic, particular outstanding compared to the nation, or prolific given the circumstances. That isn't to say they were great. Really good for NT. 

5. Dajon's circumstances outside of football were of his own making, and I still wish the dude all the best because life > football. Let's not confound his circumstances and Smith's career decisions together. They are nothing alike. 

6. This seems to be about something other than talent evaluation. Seems like you are finding patterns here to say something like . .. well I just can't put my finger on it. ... its almost like you don't like the color patterns or something . . . or are angsty about something .... I once heard on the radio a popular radio show host who briefly had HSOs about McNabb say something similar .. . .I just can't quite put my finger on it. I'll get back to you on this. 

Can't wait for  the guys to destroy Portlandia so we can all feel better though. 

• Upvote 6

Smith appears to have a much higher ceiling than DT, as did Dajon.  We just are not willing to bench DT/MiniMac and work through the growing pains.
The 2013 benefited from an opportunistic defense.  Take that away, and you'd have a season full of Tulane-like losses.  Maybe 4 wins.

I just don't see where this ceiling comes from. HS rating is irrelevant now since he and Mine finished HS the same year. He hasn't impressed me in his limited snaps at WKU or here. DT looks faster on film and had (in my mind) a just as good or better arm than Smith.

Dajon had 3 series in the LaTech game last year. He impressed us with his speed, ability to run the read-option, and his passing. In his limited series, he showed (at least to that point) that he was far and away better than what we had trotted out prior to him (mostly Greer with some McNulty). That is how he got the starting job as a redshirt freshman.

Smith has stats for at least 4 series and I didn't see nearly as much from him as I saw from Dajon last year. Smith didn't do enough in his limited reps, Dajon did.

I just don't see where this ceiling comes from. HS rating is irrelevant now since he and Mine finished HS the same year. He hasn't impressed me in his limited snaps at WKU or here. DT looks faster on film and had (in my mind) a just as good or better arm than Smith.

Dajon had 3 series in the LaTech game last year. He impressed us with his speed, ability to run the read-option, and his passing. In his limited series, he showed (at least to that point) that he was far and away better than what we had trotted out prior to him (mostly Greer with some McNulty). That is how he got the starting job as a redshirt freshman.

Smith has stats for at least 4 series and I didn't see nearly as much from him as I saw from Dajon last year. Smith didn't do enough in his limited reps, Dajon did.

Dajon's LaTech game was against backups.  He proved his worth VS UAB & Indiana last year.   2 shots to work with the 1's in preparation and start.  He was very careless with the ball in both games.

Dajon's LaTech game was against backups.  He proved his worth VS UAB & Indiana last year.   2 shots to work with the 1's in preparation and start.  He was very careless with the ball in both games.

So if Smith throws some pick 6s and fumbles a couple as a 22 or 23 yr old redshirt junior in addition to his INT in the endzone, he will have shown his worth as well and we can put this conversation to bed? He should get no more than "2 shots to work with the 1's in preparation and start" before he is benched if he does not excel or makes costly mistakes.

Edited by Cr1028

So if Smith throws some pick 6s and fumbles a couple as a 22 or 23 yr old redshirt junior in addition to his INT in the endzone, he will have shown his worth as well and we can put this conversation to bed? He should get no more than "2 shots to work with the 1's in preparation and start" before he is benched if he does not excel or makes costly mistakes.

You'll get a much better understanding of him if he gets "2 shots to work with the 1's in preparation and start", actually, this week (with FCS Portland St here) would have been almost equivalent of Dajon's 3rd week of practicing starting with the 1s for FCS Nicholls.  

So yeah, if he could have 2-3 straight weeks of practicing with the 1s and starting games, we would have a MUCH better understanding of what we have with him.  And if he sucks... worse than McNulty... then sit him down and put McNulty back in.

I just don't see it happening this year.

• Upvote 1

It was permanently banned by people who are afraid of words/don't take jokes well, other than their own.  God complex type of thing.

This is cute, and it ignores how poorly he played against teams not named Nicholls State.  FBS-level schools, I mean.

He was great against FCS competition.  Which is why I said he'd make a great FCS or D-II quarterback.  Although, he'd have to actually transfer to one and walk on to find out.  Doesn't look like that's going to happen, though. 

Dajon's lowest passer rating of the year came against UAB in the game for which he was permanently benched. He scored a 98.6.

McNulty is AVERAGING 95.7 this season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6