McCarney says UNT’s sticking with McNulty

Harry

This is all we need to know.

Passing        Rushing   
PlayerCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRateAttYdsAvgTD
Derek Thompson636105560.3742776.44234126.115931328
Andrew McNulty20338552.723826.251015105.5889013
Dajon Williams518361.466287.574146.6391253.22

Glad we ran off that 146.6 passer rating.

• Upvote 4

Are they actually reading this thread?

Rick

Not a prayer of them reading this--at least with any seriousness.

We are so stuck at this point, its not even funny--stuck with the head basketball coach that sucks for another season, stuck with a head football coach who is a Cro-magnon era coach for 2.5 more seasons, and stuck with an AD for as long as he wants to be here because the BOR and the UNT 17 love him.

And stuck with the reality that the university would rather us just walk away, never to be heard from again, then to ever even try to fix any of this mess.

Besides, tailgaiting!! And Apogee!!! And SMU!!

It was permanently banned by people who are afraid of words/don't take jokes well, other than their own.  God complex type of thing.

This is cute, and it ignores how poorly he played against teams not named Nicholls State.  FBS-level schools, I mean.

He was great against FCS competition.  Which is why I said he'd make a great FCS or D-II quarterback.  Although, he'd have to actually transfer to one and walk on to find out.  Doesn't look like that's going to happen, though. 

Not saying this is entirely inaccurate, but If anyone (you) thinks AM could have done similar in that same FCS game, you've not watched much AM.

• Upvote 1

It was permanently banned by people who are afraid of words/don't take jokes well, other than their own.  God complex type of thing.

This is cute, and it ignores how poorly he played against teams not named Nicholls State.  FBS-level schools, I mean.

He was great against FCS competition.  Which is why I said he'd make a great FCS or D-II quarterback.  Although, he'd have to actually transfer to one and walk on to find out.  Doesn't look like that's going to happen, though. 

Dang, what did you say to get permabanned?

• Upvote 1

Dajon was a freshman and fumbled / threw INTs trying to make plays. Mini Mac was a RS Junior throwing INTs because he stared down receivers. 

DaMarcus Smith has talent (61-yard throw omg), but obviously needs practice reps to shake off some of that rust/adrenaline. He's a junior, though, so it's less forgivable. Still, our RS Senior should be in the 60-70% completion pct range not in the 40-50% range, even counting drops. Also should be in the 3:1 2:1 TD:INT ratio category. 

• Upvote 4

Glad we ran off that 146.6 passer rating.

I get everyone's point (kinda) but remember most of that was against one of the worst FCS teams ever last season. That sensation at Quarterback is not currently on a football roster even though he is eligible to play for a FCS. As I've stated before, this staff has never recruited a  decent FBS Quarterback. Not Dajon, not D-Smith, not Greer, Not McNulty. It is really choosing between the lesser of two bad options if you ask me, and that is D-Smith at this point just because of the upside. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

I get everyone's point (kinda) but remember most of that was against one of the worst FCS teams ever last season. That sensation at Quarterback is not currently on a football roster even though he is eligible to play for a FCS. 

I think it's more about his heart for the game than it is about his talent. He always just seemed to be kind of going through the motions.

I think it's more about his heart for the game than it is about his talent. He always just seemed to be kind of going through the motions.

Isn't that part of the total equation of a Quarterback? I don't know about you but I want my QB to have heart, brains, and the talent. Too much to ask for I guess. I just don't think there is any point in sitting here playing the "what if" game with Dajon just like we did with Berglund. Neither one have turned those "what if's" into realities at North Texas or anywhere else. 

Quarterback is a glaring position.  You take it for granted when you are nitpicking a guy like Derek Thompson as he leads you to a bowl win.  Maybe Derek wasn't Joe Montana.  But, he was solid enough.  And, no one on the current roster is half the quarterback he was, either in skill or hard workiness.

Smith appears to have a much higher ceiling than DT, as did Dajon.  We just are not willing to bench DT/MiniMac and work through the growing pains.

The 2013 benefited from an opportunistic defense.  Take that away, and you'd have a season full of Tulane-like losses.  Maybe 4 wins.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Smith appears to have a much higher ceiling than DT, as did Dajon.  We just are not willing to bench DT/MiniMac and work through the growing pains.
The 2013 benefited from an opportunistic defense.  Take that away, and you'd have a season full of Tulane-like losses.  Maybe 4 wins.

I actually think their strategy with DT panned out. You take a guy and develop him for a couple years and he has enough experience to finally be at least an effective bus driver. I think this may have been the thought process with McNulty but then they realized they couldn't recruit anyone who could even be a bus driver. If this was simply QB growing pains, I would be okay with this season. Mullins had a season like that when we demolished Southern Miss, but look how it turned out. The fact is we have a Senior and two Junior JuCo transfers who don't have much upside and probably aren't talented enough to develop into a DT in one year's time anyways. Apparently Means is completely out of the equation (of course he is, Mac recruited him), or I'd rather him getting experience and developing than the other 3. 

eta: I should say at least one of those junior JuCo transfers. I am still trying to reserve judgment for D-Smith. 

Again, its so North Texas to have one coach who knows all about the passing game, from scheme to recruiting the pieces to make it work, but knows nothing about building up a OL to protect that QB or help in short yardage and red zone situations. Then to hire another head coach who is literally the polar opposite of the previous one. Run the ball over and over, behind a line that gets developed over time, but can't find a QB that your below-average high school would use to pass the ball.

There's a reason we have won 35 games and lost 89 since 2005...when you cannot get a coach here that knows how to coach a wide-open offense that can also move the ball effectively in short yardage (not handing the ball off seven yards behind the LOS on third and goal from the two). And that record is more than likely going to be 35-97 by the end of this season for the last ten years.

He had 2009, where Dodge burned his redshirt in the last game of the year, and 2010, when he was injured four games into the season after relieving the injured starter.  I think he started maybe one game under Dodge.

Thompson got one start under Dodge before he broke his leg...3rd game of the season at Army in 2010.  But I don't buy it that Dodge got  lucky finding a diamond in the rough with Derek any more than he did with any of the others.  He coached them up.  

Meager...an all running/option QB sets the school's single game passing record under Dodge.

Vizza...ties the NCAA record for most TD's passed in a single game by a true freshman under Dodge.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He had 2009, where Dodge burned his redshirt in the last game of the year, and 2010, when he was injured four games into the season after relieving the injured starter.  I think he started maybe one game under Dodge.

For sure, Dodge found a diamond in the rough with Thompson.  But, it was more than that.  McCarney has signed some "diamonds in the rough" as well.  I think the majority of Thompson's success was due to Thompson himself.  Let me give you a for example.

If you can get a copy of today's Dallas Morning News, there is a story about Cubs' ace, and Plano East grad, Jake Arrieta.  He wasn't all-district coming out of Plano East.  He didn't even enter their starting rotation until he was a senior.  He was not a high school superstar.   

What his high school coaches said in the article, though, is what I hold about college football players.  Of Arrieta, the his high school coach said: 

"You knew he had the tools.  He had the arm and the body type, so you knew he had a chance.  But a lot of times kids don't realize the work you have to put in on your own once you get out of high school.

To be successful from that point on, you really have to put the time in yourself and be self-driven.  Jake has always been that way.  It wasn't a big leap for him."

I'll argue that this goes for any post-high school athlete in any sport.  Did Dajon have the tools and body?  Seemed like it.  Did he have the drive to put in the extra work needed to succeed past high school on his own?  No.

I bring up DaMarcus Smith pathway here because he, like, Dajon, doesn't seem like a kid who buckles down and gets it done on his own.  He's bounced around due to academics and players in front of him.  He's eager to tell the coach he's a "gamer."  Well, come game time, there was no furious drive for a touchdown, like the first time Derek Thompson saw the field as a true freshman.  Come game time for Smith, the completions were few and far between with an interception and a couple of sacks thrown in. 

DaMarcus didn't come in here, like Baker Mayfield (also a story on him in today's DMN) at Texas Tech and Oklahoma, and win the job in spite of being the guys with the least amount of time in the playbook among the returning quarterbacks.  He didn't light it up like those guys did.  Thompson and Mayfield prepared while they were not starters.  Thompson for a full season sitting on the bench.  Mayfield over the span of just a few weeks after arriving in Lubbock as a walk-on.

Again, it takes work to play quarterback; a lot of work.  At this level, you can't really let down.  And, especially at a place like North Texas where you are not getting the best supporting cast around you year in and year out. 

Baker Mayfield, at minimum, walked into two situations where there were a roster full of 3- and 4-star guys protecting him, taking hand offs from him, and receiving for him. That is a luxury the quarterbacks at North Texas, obviously, don't have; so, they have to - in my opinion - maybe work that much harder.  But, it didn't stop Thompson from becoming a pretty salty player when all was said and done. 

If I were DaMarcus Smith...or, even Dajon Williams - yes, even now...I'd get Thompson's phone number from someone in the program and ask him, "Hey, man,how did you do it?  What was your routine?  How many hours of film and study did you put in?  What time did you go to bed?  What time did you wake up?  What did you do during the holidays to keep with it?  I want to do it.  I need help getting there."

Look dude. I love you, but you are making some HUGE judgement leaps here.

You also seem to forget that DT dropped 15 to 20 pounds between his junior and senior year and recommitted at the insistence of the coaching staff and almost lost the starting job to Dajon, a true freshman, in fall ball.

So I ask you, was Dajon one of those people as a freshman and not anytime after? Did Derek magically become one of those people in between his junior and senior year?

Or are the coaches just full of shit?

Kinda shoots a hole in the fish commitment theory, don't you think?

And this is from a HUGE DT fan.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4