What's with the Defense

MeanGreenHoops

Well I've waded through the pages of fire everyone posts, and while I wait for @Cerebus (kidding but only a little as I need numbers so I don't sound like a nut) to provide the details to help me write a half decent email to our President I'm wondering if actual football talk might be ok? Like what the heck is going on with the defense?

Our defensive line can't get off a block to save their lives. Many of you who your posts seem knowledgeably like KP but his group is performing terribly. The secondary hasn't been good, but most plays the QB can just sit back and wait for someone to get open. Brandon Garner makes one good play a game. Chad Davis has a good pass interference in the end zone every game (ok he got away with it against USM). Other than that is anyone else making plays?

I'm not buying the offense is wearing out the defense thing as much. The defense just seems awful and it saddens me. We used to always be able to count on the D to make plays even when the offense didn't.

Am I missing some silver linings here?

• Upvote 1

Our d-line can't shed blocks and gets crushed on run plays, that's why we run blitz so much.  The opposing team's qb looks like he's playing 7 on 7 back there.  No fear of getting touched or even having to move around in the pocket.  As a Charger fan I get to watch 2 inept D-lines every weekend.  It's a good life I lead.

If you're going to suck, you might as well blitz 9 every play and hope for a turnover...what the hell do you have to lose.

Kishawn McClain is playing very well but there just aren't a lot of others playing at that level right now. Akunne is sorely missed at linebacker.  Defensive line is getting blown off the ball.  Secondary is having to play with a big cushion to offset the lack of pass rush.  Juco additions have not made any major impact to this point.  Poor angles, poor tackling.. the list goes on.   It's just not a very good defense at this point in time.

Kishawn McClain is playing very well but there just aren't a lot of others playing at that level right now. Akunne is sorely missed at linebacker.  Defensive line is getting blown off the ball.  Secondary is having to play with a big cushion to offset the lack of pass rush.  Juco additions have not made any major impact to this point.  Poor angles, poor tackling.. the list goes on.   It's just not a very good defense at this point in time.

What happened to Sid Moore and Tillman Johnson? Those guys got significant playing time last year and looked promising. They don't seem to do anything this year, assuming they are playing.

Well I've waded through the pages of fire everyone posts, and while I wait for @Cerebus (kidding but only a little as I need numbers so I don't sound like a nut) to provide the details to help me write a half decent email to our President...

I just got some numbers on Degrees Awarded 2002-2014, I'll try to get a letter up today. 

• Upvote 1