Who would your candidates be for AD?

All About UNT

Weiberg Named Deputy Athletics Director at Texas Tech
Chad Weiberg arrives at Texas Tech following nine years at Big 12 Conference member Kansas State

• print
  • email
  •  
spacer.gifChad Weiberg has been named Deputy AD at Texas Tech.
spacer.gif
Chad Weiberg has been named Deputy AD at Texas Tech.
spacer.gif

May 5, 2015

LUBBOCK, Texas -Chad Weiberg, the 2014 National Association of Athletic Development Directors (NAADD) Fundraiser of the Year, has been named Deputy Athletics Director at Texas Tech, Athletics Director Kirby Hocuttannounced Tuesday.

Weiberg will join the Texas Tech family on June 8 where he will serve as the chief operating officer overseeing many of the day-to-day functions of the athletics department. Serving as the second in command, Weiberg will be involved with all administrative units and department programming.

"I have been impressed with Chad Weiberg for a long time," Hocutt said. "He has been an integral part of the leadership team at Kansas State and his leadership and relationship building abilities have been recognized nationally. His character, work ethic and positive energy will align perfectly with the team we have in place and I know his leadership will further strengthen the positive momentum of Texas Tech Athletics."

Weiberg arrives at Texas Tech following nine years at fellow Big 12 Conference member Kansas State where he most recently served as Senior Associate Athletics Director for Development. He began his tenure at K-State as Director of Major Gifts in 2005 before being promoted to Senior Associate AD in 2013.

The K-State Ahearn Fund has experienced unprecedented success under Weiberg as donations to the department have increased in each of the last five years while participation has more than doubled, going from 5,000 to over 10,000 members, a department record.

"I am very excited to be joining the Texas Tech Athletics family," Weiberg said. "I am grateful to Kirby for giving me this terrific opportunity. He is a great leader that has earned an excellent reputation in college athletics and it is an honor to get to work alongside him and his team. Although it is with mixed emotions that we leave the wonderful people that have been so good to us at K-State, my family and I look forward to meeting Red Raider fans, building new relationships and helping make Texas Tech Athletics the best it can be."

Weiberg revamped K-State's fundraising efforts during his tenure, directing a philosophy that focused on personal interaction and communication to Ahearn Fund donors on all levels. K-State has benefited from a grass-roots fundraising campaign that is the department's largest source of revenue.

During the 2013-14 academic year, K-State totaled $46.4 million in athletics gifts, a new department record that almost quadrupled the amount from the year prior to the Ahearn Fund being re-launched in 2010. Weiberg and his staff have generated 22 private gifts in excess of $1 million since the fall of 2009 compared to only five such donations previously in K-State Athletics history.

Weiberg helped launch the National Leadership Circle in 2009 which is K-State's comprehensive annual giving program for $10,000 and above donors. The initiative began with less than 200 members giving at that level and has since grown to over 435 members representing 19 different states.

K-State has completed more than $190 million worth of comprehensive facility improvements during Weiberg's tenure, highlighted by the Vanier Football Complex and West Stadium Center at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. K-State has also added a state-of-the-art basketball training facility, a $3 million intercollegiate rowing center and the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium over the past five years.

Weiberg is a 1994 graduate of the Oklahoma State Spears School of Business where he also holds a master's in business administration. He was honored in 2008 with the Spears School of Business Outstanding Young Alumnus Award and then again in 2011 as one of the top 50 MBA graduates in the program's first 50 years.

Weiberg began his professional career at his alma mater where he worked for nine years in various institutional advancement positions with Oklahoma State Athletics, the OSU Alumni Association and the OSU Foundation.

• Upvote 2

Respect your thoughts and I understand what you're thinking. I'm still going to disagree with you. I'm pretty sure we have a bigger athletic budget than WKU. I believe there was some talk of WKU cutting their athletic budget. So I could see us winning him without overpaying. 

I don't think the next athletic director has to have ties here or to the state. The number one thing he has to be able to do hire good coaches. He has to have a good track record of finding the right guy. . That's why I put him up there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we were looking for another AD, this would be my first choice...

Mike O'Brien Athletic Director at Toledo (2002-current)

Among O’Brien’s accomplishments are adding Ohio State, Miami (FL), Colorado, Purdue, Arizona, Missouri, Navy, Fresno State, Boise State, BYU, and Iowa State to the home football schedule.

Previous to his appointment in 2002, O’Brien had 15 years of experience in athletics administration at four universities, Kansas State (associate A.D., 1997-2001), Lamar (athletic director, 1993-97), Pittsburgh (director of development 1989-93) and Ball State (marketing and development, 1986-89).

Under his leadership Toledo has made seven bowl appearances in football ('02,'04,'05,'10,'11,'12,&'14) and a record of 98-68, and three NIT appearances in men’s basketball ('04,'07,&'14).

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

Anyone, seriously. I'll nominate UNT90. 

That would be a disaster.

Although, I know Tasty not just from this board, but from several real life encounters, and I have no doubt he would do a much better job than the current AD. 

Hands down.

And, no offense Tasty, but that's just sad. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/1/2015 at 8:42 PM, Rudy said:

I'm not going to put his name on the board, but there is a former Talon whose career goal is to be an AD. I don't know where he is currently working, but his passion would be UNT and UNT only. 

Has he been employed as an AD or Assistant AD anywhere? If not, has he done any successful fundraising?

One question. Would this be a step up or step down from the TSHF directors job? Both prestige wise and/or  money wise?

I do not have a name to toss into consideration but I have in mind some criteria that the AD candidates should satisfy, IMO. Pres. Smatresk's failure to put the right person in this position will (pardon my limited command of the Spanish language) take us from la villa real to la letrina.

1.  He should have played a major sport at some level; superstar not required, just "been there/done that".

2.  He may or may not have coached a sport at some level; extra points if he did.

3.  He should have substantial, demonstrated administrative skills including:

a. spending authority over significant budget amounts

b. successful management of personnel

c. knowledge of the role of fundraising in intercollegiate athletics

d. personality conducive to implementing strategies pursuant to c. above; extra points for contacts

4.  Texas or Regional ties.

5.  Other attributes as deemed appropriate by Pres. Smatresk.

Feel free to discuss among yourselves.

• Upvote 2

Here's what I do hope does happen IF we were to ever get to the point of hiring our next AD.  What I hope and pray for is that once the final candidates are narrowed down to, say...a final three, that those finalists are given a mandatory, in-depth  "Behind The Scenes" view of our university and its unusual culture,...including all of our warts that has hampered this athletic program and the university. 

Just to list a few examples.......

1. The extreme loyal 8 to 10,000 fans who would show up rain or shine, extreme heat or cold in the shittiest football stadium in the U.S., only to be rewarded with incarnet word and 5 home games in one of the nicest stadiums in the U.S....then expected to still buy in..donate their time and money..shut up and go back home then repeat all over again just because.

2.  Despite their loyalty the fans and donors have had to suffer through coaches fighting AD's behind closed doors to coaches fighting fans in the stands,.....one ticket dispersal fiasco after another ticket dispersal fiasco, ....matching donation programs turning into fiascos for donors,...running out of water at halftime on a 106 degree kickoff to hosting tennis tournaments on 90 degree days and having nothing to serve the 600 or so who showed up to watch in the sun.

3. I want them to be made aware of how poorly big ticket donors have been treated,..fighting donors over various situations to the point they turn away,..leaving them at the airport with no ride to the Bowl game in New Orleans,...lack of timely recognition and follow thru after agreements and donations were made for facilities, labor and equipment,...

3. Perceived and real road blocks cultivating donors and the oddities the university has gone thru to cultivate donors for itself and athletics.  For instance...the university had to hire an outside agency to find a naming rights donor for the stadium, then the agency that is hired simply points to the company that was already on campus working right under everyone's noses all along...Apogee.

4. The extremely odd culture and at often times negative outlook the university's many departments have towards athletics....ie...The marketing and relations dept along with the micromanaging asshat of a chancellor dictating to athletics what looks good and what doesn't look good on uniforms,......the disfunctional relationship between various departments and the AD concerning logos and word marks that counter many moves the athletic department has attempted to make...the journalism dept fighting the stadium at every turn,...the local neighborhood fighting the stadium at every turn...employees of the university and their spouses fighting the stadium at every turn.....the music department fighting Athletics over spirit items over use of the cannon and model A....the band refusing to implement a true college game day performance when marching into and out of performances like every other marching band does....

5. Recruiting battles for athletes won and lost.....every aspect of the way we are percieved by recruits.

This and much much more is what I want pointed out to the next person who thinks they want our job so they know EXACTLY what they're getting into.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1