Smatresk predicting 5-10K students at UNT Frisco Campus

Harry

As long as it's part of UNT - Denton and doesn't eventually veer off to be it's own separate campus then I'm all for it.  

After it had 2000 students then it will be counted as its own campus not counted directly with UNT but part of the UNT system. If I am remembering correctly that is how UNT Dallas worked out? 

After it had 2000 students then it will be counted as its own campus not counted directly with UNT but part of the UNT system. If I am remembering correctly that is how UNT Dallas worked out? 

That was the initial idea for UNT-D though.   I'm not sure what Jackson's/Smatresk's ideas are for this particular campus.

That was the initial idea for UNT-D though.   I'm not sure what Jackson's/Smatresk's ideas are for this particular campus.

It's a reassignment-driven campus. Think of it as an Arctic military base for our least desirable UNT-Denton assets. 

Install McCarney as the Dean of Students (Which students practiced the hardest on homework and sample tests? A+!). 

Install Rick Villarreal as the AD (Architecture Director - let him plan and fundraise for new facilities and infrastructure, keep him away from hiring anyone that has to actually work with and generate results from college students.)

Install Tony Benford in some sort of airtight container, bury him in the ground, encase the container in concrete, use that concrete as a structural slab for a new student rec center. That way, we get the added bonus that Benford can legitimately and literally be the foundation for something positive related to college athletics. Which will otherwise NEVER happen at a UNT campus. 

Avoid buyouts, replace them with others when they inevitably move on. 

Dear Dr. Smatresk,

I know you are very busy with the inner workings of UNT-Denton and the early plans for UNT-Frisco, so I don't want to bother you, but can you please publicly address the minority of the UNT Family that follows our athletic department's main two sports and if you, too, feel utterly embarrassed? If so, what are your plans to change this, if any? If not, tell us why just so we can hear it directly from you.

Sincerely,

Defeated in Denton

• Upvote 6

It's a reassignment-driven campus. Think of it as an Arctic military base for our least desirable UNT-Denton assets. 

Install McCarney as the Dean of Students (Which students practiced the hardest on homework and sample tests? A+!). 

Install Rick Villarreal as the AD (Architecture Director - let him plan and fundraise for new facilities and infrastructure, keep him away from hiring anyone that has to actually work with and generate results from college students.)

Install Tony Benford in some sort of airtight container, bury him in the ground, encase the container in concrete, use that concrete as a structural slab for a new student rec center. That way, we get the added bonus that Benford can legitimately and literally be the foundation for something positive related to college athletics. Which will otherwise NEVER happen at a UNT campus. 

^^^^

this

• Upvote 1

I understand that an anonymous donor has pledged $1 Mil toward the student rec center, which shall be named the Jimmy Hoffa Center.

• Upvote 3

5-10K in Frisco seems unrealistic. Especially at the location they are currently opening it's new space. Next door to Baby Jerry World, Legacy West, the Gate, Wade Park, Frisco Station, ect., how would it be remotely economically beneficial for UNT to get in the middle of all the corporate/mixed use properties that don't appear to be cheap?

I know there's all kinds of tax breaks and economic development issues that are way out of my expertise so does anyone know how this is good for UNT? I assume expanding the brand and maybe more research as well? 

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Edited by UNTexas

Dallas Baptist had a campus in Frisco that they outgrew and moved to Plano. I don't know the number of students at Collin County Community College in Frisco, but there are certainly enough students in this affluent and growing community to support UNT at Frisco. If memory serves, this basically is how UTD began except they were originally a Junior/Senior campus.In fact, I think they have a campus just south of hwy121.

• Upvote 1

Dan McCarney: "This isn't the easiest place to recruit students to.  I can show them a big ass ring and a pile of concrete, but it's still North Texas at Frisco".

Rick Villarreal: "They didn't have any facilities when I came here, and I really mean it this time".

Tony Benford: It's tight in here, but they'll start subbing in guys for me when I get hot".

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 5

5-10K in Frisco seems unrealistic. Especially at the location they are currently opening it's new space. Next door to Baby Jerry World, Legacy West, the Gate, Wade Park, Frisco Station, ect., how would it be remotely economically beneficial for UNT to get in the middle of all the corporate/mixed use properties that don't appear to be cheap?

I know there's all kinds of tax breaks and economic development issues that are way out of my expertise so does anyone know how this is good for UNT? I assume expanding the brand and maybe more research as well? 

Maybe they're trying to achieve enough density to get a rail transit station so as to have an alternate way in and out of Frisco.

• Upvote 1

How many Denton students will they force to commute to Frisco for required classes not offered at the main campus?

Hopefully zero. I walked to class in college and barely made it in time all the way from Hickory Village. I generally made it home after 2 AM after my night classes because Fry Street sucked me while walking home. It would be ashame if others didn't have to suffer a similiar fate.

Nothing against Frisco, I live in Frisco, I love it here, but Frisco isn't a college town. Students shouldn't have to attend 2 campuses.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3

Hopefully zero. I walked to class in college and barely made it in time all the way from Hickory Village. I made it home at to 2 AM after my night classes because Fry Street sucked me while walking home. It would be ashame if others didn't have to suffer a similiar fate.

Nothing against Frisco, I live in Frisco, I love it here, but Frisco isn't a college town. Students shouldn't have to attend 2 campuses.

In the spring of 2010, as a grad student enrolled in Denton, I had classes in Denton, Frisco, and downtown Dallas, all in one day, by no choosing of my own.  It ruh-heallly pissed me off.

If people keep moving to Texas in droves, anything is possible 10 years from now. 

And, look...if you are a male person, there are a sh*t ton of 30 to 40-ish mamas in Frisco who will probably be there looking to finish degrees.  Frisco does have some pretty attractive mamas.  Join the local PTA and see for yourself!   

I don't know if that's sustainable long-term. I think I read somewhere people were calling it Frisclosure?

• Upvote 3

I sat through a presentation by a Keller Williams executive on Frisco. There is a one mile stretch with $4 BILLION in development going on. A little of $1 billion is the new Jerry World, then Toyota and now two national insurance companies. They are also pushing for a number of tech companies to come into the development. It certainly won't hurt UNT to be connected with kind of development. 

If I remember correctly, the way U of H is the 3rd largest school in the state is by counting all of their various campuses around the Houston area and not just their main campus. I think our main campus has more students than their main campus, although I could be wrong on that. 

• Upvote 1

Adjacent to "FORD STAR", the new Frisco home of the Dallas Cowboys indoor practice facility and Jerry Jones world headquarters, is a massive construction undertaking. In addition,Liberty Mutual is building regional offices on the S/W corner of DNT and 121. Adjacent to them is a new Federal  Express regional building, and west of FX under construction is Toyota's North American headquarters. About one exit further  west is the new Nebraska  Furniture Mall. We moved out to Frisco in 07'. In 2 years they will open their 10th 5A high school, and have a population of 150,000+. Build out is expected to be in about 10 years with about a 300,000 population cap. I may be off a little on my numbers or whether a company is building a regional or national headquarters, but you get the picture. This is a wealthy, fast developing community and exactly where I would want us to have a satellite campus as part of the University of North Texas System.

• Upvote 2