Most surprising Mccarney-era win

BillySee58

Coach Mac's first year results seem fitting, looking back. In 2011 we were 4-4 in Sun Belt play, with all four wins coming against the teams that finished with losing records in conference play, and the four losses coming against the teams that finished with winning records in conference play. 4-2 at home, 1-5 away.

That's kind of how the rest of his tenure has played out. Decent at home, awful on the road. Decent against bad teams, 5-22 against teams that finished .500 or better coming into this year (4 of those wins came in 2013).

What has been our most surprising win of the Mccarney era? Maybe ULL in 2012, but that was against a backup QB and at home. Rice in 2013? I would have to think if we could pull it off this week that would be my undisputed number 1, especially with it being a road game.

Edited by BillySee58

At this point, all of them appear to be surprising...

But the clear answer is that Ball State win in 2013. They were a very good G5 team. We physically dominated them in the second half that day--ironically, it was in front of about 10k people, too, because of the heat and the fact that more people wanted to watch Johnny Manziel face Alabama on TV than venture out to Apogee.

• Upvote 3

Indiana was terrible the year we beat them. They won one game that year. And we beat them at Apogee.

True, but it was also the first time I ever saw UNT win a game, something I never witnessed at Fouts, and it was against a school I'd heard of, terrible as they may have been.  That win was a big mental boost for players and fans alike.

• Upvote 1

At this point, all of them appear to be surprising...

But the clear answer is that Ball State win in 2013. They were a very good G5 team. We physically dominated them in the second half that day--ironically, it was in front of about 10k people, too, because of the heat and the fact that more people wanted to watch Johnny Manziel face Alabama on TV than venture out to Apogee.

I agree, any win this year will be surprising.

Edited by UNTexas

Coach Mac's first year results seem fitting, looking back. In 2011 we were 4-4 in Sun Belt play, with all four wins coming against the teams that finished with losing records in conference play, and the four losses coming against the teams that finished with winning records in conference play. 4-2 at home, 1-5 away.

That's kind of how the rest of his tenure has played out. Decent at home, awful on the road. Decent against bad teams, 5-22 against teams that finished .500 or better coming into this year (4 of those wins came in 2013)..

That's been Mac's pattern his entire career as a head coach...a pattern one would think would be used in evaluation BEFORE extending his contract?

Rick