DRC Monday column: Time has arrived to give Smith a shot

Brett Vito

Which is probably why McCarney is scared to give Smith significant time. To me it seems like he's just burying his head in the sand as far as the quarterback situation is concerned and hoping for the best.

Seriously? At the end of the day, you're judged on your wins and your losses -- not who started and who didn't. 

There isn't a head coach in college football that would rather lose than be wrong about a QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Seriously? At the end of the day, you're judged on your wins and your losses -- not who started and who didn't. 

There isn't a head coach in college football that would rather lose than be wrong about a QB.

A big ego is a very dangerous thing. No one is saying that Mccarney doesn't want to win. He wants to win with how he so chooses to. He knows what the naysayers (us) think. He told us last year "Would you not trust your doctor" or "go into court without lawyer representation." He doesn't want us to be right and even more strongly, he doesn't want to be blatantly wrong by putting in a QB that balls out and makes him looks foolish. The man is extremely egotistical. 

A big ego is a very dangerous thing. No one is saying that Mccarney doesn't want to win. He wants to win with how he so chooses to. He knows what the naysayers (us) think. He told us last year "Would you not trust your doctor" or "go into court without lawyer representation." He doesn't want us to be right and even more strongly, he doesn't want to be blatantly wrong by putting in a QB that balls out and makes him looks foolish. The man is extremely egotistical. 

Since you brought up lawyers, I'll say "objection: speculation" to this entire post. 

Mac's problem is he thinks he is right about the QB. He is blinded by his old school mentality. When old people like him think they are right, well then you arent changing their minds.

There are maybe 5 other people who think he is right about the QB. 

• Upvote 1

There are maybe 5 other people who think he is right about the QB. 

And I'm not one of them. But I also think the idea that it's to spite fans or borne out of some fear of people thinking he's wrong is completely absurd. 

It's one of two things: It's as you suggested -- he's just flat-out wrong. Or there's no one better on the roster. 

Either way, it's far from ideal.

• Upvote 1

If Smith did come in and win 4 or 5 games its grounds for firing McCarney and Canales. I mean I know there are a lot of reasons that these guys need to go, but screwing up the QB position as much as they have is unacceptable. Any one of us on here could do better at picking QBs to help this program. 

Sorry, but are you saying if someone decides they made a mistake, fixes their mistake and gets a positive result they should be fired? Umm, no, not in the real world. Fixing your own mistake saves one's job, it doesn't get you fired! 

If you've never made a personnel mistake then you've just not managed many people!  

• Upvote 2

If Smith did come in and win 4 or 5 games its grounds for firing McCarney and Canales.

I disagree.  It would be evidence that they were finally able to bring him up to speed on the offense.  I mean, seriously, which would be more grounds for firing: (1) bring in Smith after the Southern Miss game and win 4 games the rest of the way, or (2) keep McNulty in the rest of the season and go 1-11 or 0-12?

. . . screwing up the QB position as much as they have is unacceptable. Any one of us on here could do better at picking QBs to help this program. 

It's hard to disagree with that.

• Upvote 1

I disagree.  It would be evidence that they were finally able to bring him up to speed on the offense.  I mean, seriously, which would be more grounds for firing: (1) bring in Smith after the Southern Miss game and win 4 games the rest of the way, or (2) keep McNulty in the rest of the season and go 1-11 or 0-12?

They are both equal IMO. I get what you guys are saying about correcting the mistake, but Mac doesnt believe its a mistake. He will claim that Smith didnt know the offense or didnt practice well enough. Its all a load of BS. I high school kid could understand this offense. McNulty doesnt read a defense. They are punishing a kid for missing spring ball thats it. That is the number 1 reason Smith is not playing.  They are refusing to play the best players. This staff clearly cant identify who the best players are either. 

• Upvote 1

49-105 568 2 TD 4 INT

^^^^

stats for the 5th year senior that (apparently) practices great 

Don't get me wrong--having McNulty as our starting QB is indefensible.  But I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a coaching staff that could be that "cut off our nose to spite our face."

• Upvote 2

McNulty is 2-7 as a starter. On a 4 game losing streak dating back to last year. He's only completing 47% of his passes and has 2 TDs to 4 picks in 2015. How the hell does that not warrant a benching???????? I'll tell you why, because Mac is an old stubborn fart. 

Pass that stat line around to every other FBS coach in America and I'll guaran-damn-tee you they'll be saying another QB will be starting next week if that's my squad. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

Here’s what UNT coach Dan McCarney had to say yesterday.

“We would like to use Smith more if he is more consistent in practice,” McCarney said. “That is what we are looking for. He has athleticism that he has had since high school and junior college, but you have to have that trust factor with the guy out there taking the snap. It’s getting better each day, but it is not where we want it yet.”

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/09/tuesday-afternoon-notes-ncaa-drops-hammer-on-smu-mccarney-on-smith.html/

McNulty is 2-7 as a starter. On a 4 game losing streak dating back to last year. He's only completing 47% of his passes and has 2 TDs to 4 picks in 2015. How the hell does that not warrant a benching???????? I'll tell you why, because Mac is an old stubborn fart. 

Pass that stat line around to every other FBS coach in America and I'll guaran-damn-tee you they'll be saying another QB will be starting next week if that's my squad. 

You talk to the coaches at Charlotte they may just take McNulty