DRC Monday column: Time has arrived to give Smith a shot

Brett Vito

The Texans and the Longhorns both said they felt really good about their starting QB's going into Week One -- and neither team started said QB after Week One. 

They were wrong and UNT is too.

McNulty is what he is. There's no upside to keeping him in as the starter at 0-3, 0-4, 0-5, etc, because he's gone after this year. If we're not going to win the conference -- and we're not -- there's no point in keeping him in there.

Further, if this team loses to Portland State in front of the handful of fans that show up to Homecoming, I'd fire the coach the next day. At least then you've got a head start on finding a replacement and salvaging this recruitment cycle. The longer you wait, the deeper the hole you leave for Mac's successor.

• Upvote 2

The Texans and the Longhorns both said they felt really good about their starting QB's going into Week One -- and neither team started said QB after Week One. 

They were wrong and UNT is too.

McNulty is what he is. There's no upside to keeping him in as the starter at 0-3, 0-4, 0-5, etc, because he's gone after this year. If we're not going to win the conference -- and we're not -- there's no point in keeping him in there.

Further, if this team loses to Portland State in front of the handful of fans that show up to Homecoming, I'd fire the coach the next day. At least then you've got a head start on finding a replacement and salvaging this recruitment cycle. The longer you wait, the deeper the hole you leave for Mac's successor.

Mathematically speaking, we still have a shot to win conference and I think you will see heavy doses of McNulty until that time.  Once it is clear we are not eligible for a bowl they will start playing some of the other guys hopefully even give Means a shot.

I personally feel bad for Greer.  Mac gave McNulty all of the good chances in that Iowa game.  By the time Greer got in, it was way over and Iowa was massively jumping on balls.  They knew our plays and players.  And our o-line was tired.

Every win in conference gives us more hope to get to 6 wins.  So if they can pull one out this week it would basically mean we were 500 in conference play.  So a win over USM on the road would be huge for all involved.  Sort of give them a second wind.

Every win in conference gives us more hope to get to 6 wins.  So if they can pull one out this week it would basically mean we were 500 in conference play.  So a win over USM on the road would be huge for all involved.  Sort of give them a second wind.

Agreed. And I hope that happens. I just don't believe it will.

After USM, we've got Portland State, WKU and Marshall. So realistically, we'll be 1-6 going into our game against UTSA. If you don't pull a win out against Portland State, you're looking at 0-7. That's completely unacceptable for a fifth-year coach. 

Yes, there's a lot of football left to play. But we're not trending upward, at present. And that's the cause for alarm.

Mathematically speaking, we still have a shot to win conference and I think you will see heavy doses of McNulty until that time.  Once it is clear we are not eligible for a bowl they will start playing some of the other guys hopefully even give Means a shot.

My point was, other teams don't wait until they're mathematically eliminated to try something else when it isn't working. They make the change before they're eliminated in hopes it gives them a better opportunity to win -- and so far, it's worked out better for both programs/teams I cited. 

• Upvote 4

Here's the problem:

As soon as DaMarcus Smith has a bad game (like McNulty does week in week out) or shows emotion or frustration after a bad decision Mac will put him in the permanent dog house. Dajon had essentially one bad game and got frustrated. He fell apart sure, but if we had actually progressed our QBs then he may not have. Point being: Smith's first bad game will be his last game at UNT, as long as Mac is here.

According to most accounts, Dajon had an attitude problem and a lack of work ethic.  That put him in the doghouse to begin with, and as such, he was only provided a short leash once he was let out to play for a while.

I haven't heard any such reports about Smith.  As far as I can tell, his primary issue is being behind from not arriving in spring.

So I don't know why we would necessarily expect Smith to be handled the same way as Williams, especially if he is working hard in practice, the film room, etc.

• Upvote 1

Here's the problem:

As soon as DaMarcus Smith has a bad game (like McNulty does week in week out) or shows emotion or frustration after a bad decision Mac will put him in the permanent dog house. Dajon had essentially one bad game and got frustrated. He fell apart sure, but if we had actually progressed our QBs then he may not have. Point being: Smith's first bad game will be his last game at UNT, as long as Mac is here.

Dajon had two atrocious games against 1st string FBS defenses.   VS Nicholls & 2nd/3rd stringers, he was awesome.

• Upvote 1

Dajon had two atrocious games against 1st string FBS defenses.   VS Nicholls & 2nd/3rd stringers, he was awesome.

Yeah, Dajon was bad in those games.  But there's no denying he had a much, much higher ceiling than McNulty.  I couldn't really blame Coach Mac for benching Dajon, but I can't help but think we'd be in a better place right now if Dajon had worked through his problems, got the 1st team reps in practice, and got more game time experience.

• Upvote 4

Yeah, Dajon was bad in those games.  But there's no denying he had a much, much higher ceiling than McNulty.  I couldn't really blame Coach Mac for benching Dajon, but I can't help but think we'd be in a better place right now if Dajon had worked through his problems, got the 1st team reps in practice, and got more game time experience.

That and he was a RS Freshman not a RS Senior

• Upvote 1

It is odd to me that Smith was not given a bigger chance at the end of the Iowa game. I know he has not been perfect in practice but hell, let him go and throw it around a little. They gave Greer a chance and he proved he is the same Ol' Greer. 

This scenario would be the best Christmas present I think I have ever received. It's a pipe dream though. 

Someone pointed out in RV's contract that when a coach of his doing gets an extension/raise then he too gets a raise. If this is in fact true this really, really explains the premature extension/raise. A clause of this nature should never, NEVER be compiled into a contract. He is essentially giving himself raises. Imagine a job where you could simply do the minimal work (politely said) and decide when you get a raise with the push of your own hand. 

Fly, it truly is all a joke. You're like a prophet. Are you really Joel Osteen? Is that where your money is coming from? 

Yes, the system is flawed. RV should never be able to give himself a raise. No one should give RV a raise. I hope to god he gets none of the money from the McNatt money. We need that for ungrades and for buy out money. Not for RV to get another Jag. 

I believe Dajon go chances. He just screwed it up everytime. At least that is what I was told by some folks involved in the program. 

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 2

I believe Dajon go chances. He just screwed it up everytime. At least that is what I was told by some folks involved in the program. 

That seems to be universally attested.  Dajon earned his benching, and probably didn't deserve to see any PT after that.  That said, I have to think our program would be better now--i.e., maybe even winning games--if they just went with Dajon despite his issues.

• Upvote 2

That seems to be universally attested.  Dajon earned his benching, and probably didn't deserve to see any PT after that.  That said, I have to think our program would be better now--i.e., maybe even winning games--if they just went with Dajon despite his issues.

Dajon would not put the work in and he was pretty thin. He would not workout to put some meat on even if he could play he would have got hurt. Plus he had plenty of off field issues to distract him.

Dajon would not put the work in and he was pretty thin. He would not workout to put some meat on even if he could play he would have got hurt. Plus he had plenty of off field issues to distract him.

Agreed.  Not sure about the injury part, but I do agree with the rest of it.  But I still think that, had the coaching staff committed to developing him this past year, he would give us a better chance of winning at the present and more to look forward to in the future.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

The bottom line is North Texas is 2-1 right now if we had a better QB. SMU tried so hard to give us that game and we gave it back. Rice was on the ropes and we stopped fighting. We were outmatched on all fronts at Iowa. There have been stupid plays and turnovers but we would have survived our first two games with a QB who can lead from the front.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, but give D Smith a chance and see what happens. The status quo means 0-12.

• Upvote 4

The bottom line is North Texas is 2-1 right now if we had a better QB. SMU tried so hard to give us that game and we gave it back. Rice was on the ropes and we stopped fighting. We were outmatched on all fronts at Iowa. There have been stupid plays and turnovers but we would have survived our first two games with a QB who can lead from the front.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, but give D Smith a chance and see what happens. The status quo means 0-12.

You're probably fight. This team could be 2-1 right now. The thing is, I truly think Macs ego is not letting him make a change. It would be an admittance of fault. You could argue that we changed it up last year and yes we did. But we changed from Canales' guy and eventually fell to Macs guy. This year, we started out with Macs guy and he knows we all know that AM is his guy. Mac can't admit fault. I've never once heard him own anything. I've heard him say "coaches have to coach better", but do you think for one second he is referring to himself? No, no he's not. Dan Mccarney is like a 20 year older version of Butch Jones. Lip service full of cliches. Butch Jones will not be head coaching in 15-20 years from now and for good reason. We (North Texas) took a miscalculated risk on bringing Mccarney into North Texas. He was a coach that had a 39% winning percentage when he stepped foot on campus and some thought he would turn the ship? He sits at 42% here at UNT and will very likely be at 37% at seasons end. Par for the course. 

Oh, and we're stuck with him because our athletic director wanted to line his pockets with more of our university's money. Thanks, RV. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Well, other than that, I'm also really concerned about the complete lack of recruiting and this sudden "F the fans" thing going on. Do I want them to succeed? Absolutely. Am I a little nervous right now about the entire program ending up in a worse than Dodge situation? Yeah. I think this team will be around 5 or 6 wins with Smith, but 0 with McNulty.

maybe. 

But you play to win the game.

This is playing out like Osborn, Berglund, and Dajon all over again.

I want to see Smith as much as the next guy, but to say we get to 5 or 6 wins with him is absurd. 

No one knows if Smith can play. 

Even if he can, the issues on defense will lead to a lot of losses.

Doesnt matter, we won't see Smith until after we lose to Portland St. to go to 0-5. By then, the spirit and confidence of the team will be broken and it wouldn't matter if Johnny Football was the QB.

Edited by UNT90

You're probably fight. This team could be 2-1 right now. The thing is, I truly think Macs ego is not letting him make a change. It would be an admittance of fault. You could argue that we changed it up last year and yes we did. But we changed from Canales' guy and eventually fell to Macs guy. This year, we started out with Macs guy and he knows we all know that AM is his guy. Mac can't admit fault. I've never once heard him own anything. I've heard him say "coaches have to coach better", but do you think for one second he is referring to himself? No, no he's not. Dan Mccarney is like a 20 year older version of Butch Jones. Lip service full of cliches. Butch Jones will not be head coaching in 15-20 years from now and for good reason. We (North Texas) took a miscalculated risk on bringing Mccarney into North Texas. He was a coach that had a 39% winning percentage when he stepped foot on campus and some thought he would turn the ship? He sits at 42% here at UNT and will very likely be at 37% at seasons end. Par for the course. 

Oh, and we're stuck with him because our athletic director wanted to line his pockets with more of our university's money. Thanks, RV. 

I love how your posts always give it 110% in all three phases of posting, yet still manage to only take things one post at a time...you never get caught looking ahead to that next post, but focus on the one at hand(finger?). 

• Upvote 1

Brett is putting himself out there writing this article.  He's been stroking McCarney's ego, now he's proposing a dissenting idea.

Thanks for your courage Brett.  Hopefully you're not locked out of the Athletics Center today.

There are eerie similarities between this AD and cult behavior. 

I want to see Smith as much as the next guy, but to say we get to 5 or 6 wins with him is absurd. 

No one knows if Smith can play. 

Even if he can, the issues on defense will lead to a lot of losses.

Doesnt matter, we won't see Smith until after we lose to Portland St. to go to 0-5. By then, the spirit and confidence of the team will be broken and it wouldn't matter if Johnny Football was the QB.

If Smith did come in and win 4 or 5 games its grounds for firing McCarney and Canales. I mean I know there are a lot of reasons that these guys need to go, but screwing up the QB position as much as they have is unacceptable. Any one of us on here could do better at picking QBs to help this program. 

• Upvote 2

If Smith did come in and win 4 or 5 games its grounds for firing McCarney and Canales. I mean I know there are a lot of reasons that these guys need to go, but screwing up the QB position as much as they have is unacceptable. Any one of us on here could do better at picking QBs to help this program. 

Which is probably why McCarney is scared to give Smith significant time. To me it seems like he's just burying his head in the sand as far as the quarterback situation is concerned and hoping for the best. Crazy stuff going on around here.

• Upvote 2

Which is probably why McCarney is scared to give Smith significant time. To me it seems like he's just burying his head in the sand as far as the quarterback situation is concerned and hoping for the best. Crazy stuff going on around here.

Convenient that the QB he buries his head in the sand with is a long time family friend...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1