DRC Monday column: Time has arrived to give Smith a shot

Brett Vito

Smith is one. There doesn’t seem to be a good reason to not at least see what he has to offer.

Vito has seen the light!!!! For the first time in a long time I could kiss you!! Why not do a 50/50 split with McNulty and Smith? Use each of these guys strenghts, which I cant seem to think of a strenght that McNulty has off the top of my head, and use those strengths to keep the Defense off balance. If you throw two QB's at a defense, one of which is mobile and the other is stationary or as the ESPNU Announcers said "Dual Threat", the Defense will try to alter their scheme to match what ever qb is in sooooo if we can run a better "called" offense with two different QB we just might be able to keep the defense off balance and be able to attack. Maybe,  Maybe not but Smith needs to get his shot because he is our short term future and our best chance of sparking this team/offense to maybe win some games this year.

“McNulty was solid,” UNT coach Dan McCarney said

I swear, Mac is either high or drunk during the games. Was the loss entirely on the shoulders of McNulty? Absolutely not!! I thought our O Line did pretty damn well against a top 30 Defense. There were too many times during that game that McNulty had an open receiver and missed him or had an open lane to run because the receivers were covered but decided to throw it away or force the throw. I wish sometimes McNulty would man up and run the damn ball more, Actually read the DE/OLB on the QB read play. 3-6 yards are a whole lot better than throwing an incompletion/INT or having our running back run for negative yards. I brought this up on Saturday night in another thread, McNulty has turned the ball over 6 times in three games and has only produced 2 touchdown throws. Thats not a very good ratio and from last season, this is what we can come to expect from McNulty.

He isnt the best throwing on the run and from Carlos Harris' throw on the run might of been better than McNulty standing still.

• Upvote 2

There is no reason UNT couldn’t start McNulty, but also plan to give Smith a series in the first half.

Just see what Smith can do.

This is a very reasonable idea. Still start McNulty but give Smith some meaningful time in the first half. I'm not suggesting split time, but a meaningful series or two. If it is working, then more but not unless it's working. Don't shell shock Smith! Tell McNulty and Greer you plan to do this in advance but keep it quiet otherwise.  

This isn't something that gets a reporter locked out - demanding they start Smith, that gets a reporter locked out of any locker room! 

McNulty doesn't seem to be made of the right stuff to win. This is his last season. Smith still has eligibility and shows the the physical talent needed to win.

Sticking with McNulty means another line of games with the same kind of not-horrible to horrible performance, losing a year of Smith's eligibility and development. We're also losing opportunities for Smith to create chances to win games.

We take Smith into more plays and that means he can get settled at QB in an FBS environment and maybe help win games. And that's if he plays, not just starts or stays in for an entire game.

I can't see why it would be harmful to put Smith in unless he somehow performs far, far, far worse than Greer and that means actually running backwards into our endzone or literally handing the ball to the opposing defense with a bow and birthday card.

• Upvote 5

McNulty doesn't seem to be made of the right stuff to win. This is his last season. Smith still has eligibility and shows the the physical talent needed to win.

Sticking with McNulty means another line of games with the same kind of not-horrible to horrible performance, losing a year of Smith's eligibility and development. We're also losing opportunities for Smith to create chances to win games.

We take Smith into more plays and that means he can get settled at QB in an FBS environment and maybe help win games. And that's if he plays, not just starts or stays in for an entire game.

I can't see why it would be harmful to put Smith in unless he somehow performs far, far, far worse than Greer and that means actually running backwards into our endzone or literally handing the ball to the opposing defense with a bow and birthday card.

McNulty being average with his play is bottom 50 QB ranking, him being above average catapults him into the bottom 60 in QB Rankings. If he plays awful, he is the worst qb in college football.

• Upvote 1

McNulty being average with his play is bottom 50 QB ranking, him being above average catapults him into the bottom 60 in QB Rankings. If he plays awful, he is the worst qb in college football.

So in other words, if he has a good game he is still a below average QB. If he has an average game to his standards he is worse than a below average QB. If he has a bad game he is the worst QB in FBS football. This is all statistical because I have been keeping track. So with these stats, Mccarney has the audacity to NEVER push blame towards AM (but has and will name call other players' mistakes). Then, he even, makes dumbfounded comments such as, "he was solid today" or "he did some nice things." I'm telling you, this man has fallen off his rocker. Thanks, RV. 

• Upvote 2

Just look what USM did with Mullens.  They believed he had the talent, arm, and decision making ability to be a FBS QB, so they stuck him out there is a freshman knowing they would live with the mistakes short term for a bigger payoff down the road.

This is something DMac will NEVER do. EVER. 

• Upvote 4

We played our asses off in this game in my opinion, but could we of won? Heck no but we could of made it a lot more respectable. McNulty missed too many receivers in this game. I dont understand why he doesnt tuck it and run more. If he was this true "Dual Threat" QB that those dumb asses on ESPNU were calling him, he needs to run the ball more. If nothings open get yourself 3 yards and make the next play a little more manageable to get that first down.

• Upvote 3

I agree we should give him a shot, but I'm so downtrodden I'm not expecting much from him. I can see why McCarney would be hesitant. This would be the second year in a row a QB who he had as his #3 guy got a start without any injuries before him. Doesn't bode well for his QB talent evaluations once again. 

I agree we should give him a shot, but I'm so downtrodden I'm not expecting much from him. I can see why McCarney would be hesitant. This would be the second year in a row a QB who he had as his #3 guy got a start without any injuries before him. Doesn't bode well for his QB talent evaluations once again. 

I wonder how many teams had to start their 3rd string QB in BACK-TO-BACK seasons due to poor play from the 1st and 2nd string QBs? No injuries, just piss poor play.

Only at North Texas...

• Upvote 1

I would be embarrassed too knowing that I haven't recruited the most important position on the field worth a damn the whole time I have been here. The state of Texas has too much talent at the QB position to not find one guy in the five years that he has been here to start for this program. Look around at all the schools in Texas and the surrounding schools that feed out of Texas for not just QB but everything. Why we are not offering and signing one QB each year is beyond me. I hate to sound like a broken record but look at all the major programs like Bama, Texas, A&M, Florida, Michigan, they sign a QB whether they need him or not because you never know what is going to happen with that recruit. It could be a career ending injury, flunk out of school, get into trouble or just flat out dont pan out. I know we are not the schools I mentioned but maybe take a page out of their playbook and try it on for size. There is a reason why these schools succeed so maybe take what works and do it yourself. I am fine with JUCO transfer every now and again but every year is freakin dumb because you fall into the position that we are in now. That position of having someone that is talented enough to start but he doesnt know the playbook well enough to lead the team. If you recruit a freshman QB, he sits in the system learning the ends and outs of the playbook much like McNulty has but maybe actually find someone worth a damn.

Rant Over

GMG and Kick some Golden EAGLE ass this Saturday

• Upvote 1

I wonder how many teams had to start their 3rd string QB in BACK-TO-BACK seasons due to poor play from the 1st and 2nd string QBs? No injuries, just piss poor play.

Only at North Texas...

I'm guessing not many. Most teams have a young underclassman back-up waiting in the wings in these situations who usually either play out the rest of the season because they won the job or because it doesn't matter anymore and they are getting the experience. Here, both our 2nd and 3rd strings are JuCo transfers with only 1 more year of eligibility after this year.  The only young prospect we have is apparently another bad talent evaluation because he's buried in a depth chart with some of the worst QB play in FBS. Literally: out of starting FBS Quarterbacks right now, McNulty is rated 121 our of 122 behind only Bo Schneider of UFC. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure if everyone caught it, but it sounds like Smith has moved up on the depth chart and is now on the same line as Greer.  This was a necessary step in the process in order for Smith to be the next one up.  As Vito points out, you don't have to replace AM, but at this point Smith needs to be getting 2 or 3 series a game, maybe more if he shows some ability.

Depending on what we find out between now and the end of the year will heavily influence whether we are able to go the route of a HS QB or if we need to go JUCO or even graduate transfer (or maybe all of the above!).

• Upvote 3

I disagree with Vito on this point...Iowa is not an impossible situation.  We should be able to compete admirably with a school like Iowa.  I do not accept that we have no chance against them.  Vito continually perpetuates the loser attitude of UNT.

Well I look at Jacksonville State and Auburn game and think hey, schools with lessor resources are somehow able to compete.   I think SMU and Rice losing like they did also adds to the frustration level around here.  Those were games we should have won.

Vito is right.

But.

I bet McNulty starts every game this year as DMac gives the fan base, university president, and even athletic  director the double D middle finger as he rides out what he sees as his final season (what other explanation can there be for the refusal to recruit?).

Adios, Mofos.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Vito is right.

But.

I bet McNulty starts every game this year as DMac gives the fan base, university president, and even athletic  director the double D middle finger as he rides out what he sees as his final season (what other explanation can there be for the refusal to recruit?).

Adios, Mofos.

This scenario would be the best Christmas present I think I have ever received. It's a pipe dream though. 

Someone pointed out in RV's contract that when a coach of his doing gets an extension/raise then he too gets a raise. If this is in fact true this really, really explains the premature extension/raise. A clause of this nature should never, NEVER be compiled into a contract. He is essentially giving himself raises. Imagine a job where you could simply do the minimal work (politely said) and decide when you get a raise with the push of your own hand. 

Fly, it truly is all a joke. You're like a prophet. Are you really Joel Osteen? Is that where your money is coming from?