UNT Fan

GreenTexan13

I just wanted to take a minute and express my gratitude towards the Mean Green Nation. I know we have and been having some down times in our athletic department.. But I did some thinking, and I truly feel as though North Texas has the most dedicated fan base sitting right here on GMG.com. 

And for the older generations here supporting UNT, thank you for helping create this UNT fan movement rolling. I hope one of these game days, I can thank y'all in person to thank you.

Okay I'm done with the rambling.. I want to know how long you all have been a fan. I'll start.. I have been a fan since 2010. I took interest after I saw my first UNT game in Fouts, and then immediately was hooked. 

• Upvote 6

By as late as the end of my junior year in high school (2013), I did not even want to go to college. But one of my best friends was planning on going to UNT and told me to look into it. I went up to Denton for the first time in August of that year, decided I wanted to be an RTVF Major, and was accepted by January. I followed the football team from Day 1 in 2013 starting with the Idaho Potatoes. What a great time to get accepted to UNT! Unfortunately,  2014 was not a repeat of 2013 and my best friend didn't even end up going to UNT. However, I plan on making my mark by repacking the Super Pit again.

• Upvote 3

I played college football at a small school and quit after my freshman year. Screwed around for a couple of years not knowing what I wanted to study for a bachelors degree. Ended up at UNT when my friend transferred there from Eastern New Mexico. I started following NT sports shortly thereafter. It was the heart of the good ol' script helmet days. The SunBelt runs just started up.  2001 I'm thinking? I remember being confused as hell seeing the daffy eagle logo and the UNT wordmark with blue & orange in them. Who the hell approved that mess? I found these boards shortly thereafter and my fandom was instantly fueled. I remember ordering a North Texas cap right off the message board because you couldn't find any decent NT merchandise anywhere. I've been a season ticket holder since graduating. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Transferred from College Station (Because it sucks) in Jan. 2001. From then to 2005 I maybe went to 5 games and from 05 to 2010 one or two. Watched the bowl runs staring in 2001 on TV, but was not a good fan. I was all about hating football since I got hurt in high school and had to pay for college. Then I went to TCU for Grad school and my dad drove up for pretty much all the games they had in my time there (He did not have much interest in watching UNT games when I was enrolled there). When UNT had home games and TCU did not I came to Apogee, starting in 2011. Have been a season ticket holder at UNT since 2010 (Did not get tickets 2011 and 2012, because I went to free games at TCU, when I was a student). Still watch TCU games but rarely in person. I like the atmosphere and people more at UNT. Less rich turds at UNT, but I support both teams.

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 2

Transferred from UT in the Spring semester of 1980. First NT game was a January 1980 game vs Texas in the Super Pit. We won dramatically and I was a diehard from that point on. Haven't missed more than a handful of home football games since other than when I moved to Colorado for three years. My son is a sophomore at North Texas and never wanted to go anywhere else. My daughter is considering North Texas with a few other schools in cities she would prefer to live, i.e. New Orleans, etc.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Started my mid-life crisis grad school experience in the fall of 2008.  To that point, I had never attended a school at any level that had football -- not middle school, not high school, not college.

The 56-26 drubbing at the hands of Tulsa on September 6, 2008 was my very first college football game of any kind, unless you count getting drunk on tightwad hill in Berkeley where you could kinda sorta see a corner of the field back in 1992.

Met Fly shortly after the Tulsa game, and he got me into the whole UNT athletics thing.  I did, however, stop going after the 2009 Western Kentucky game, and didn't return until Dodge was safely far, far out of town.  I did sneak in and catch the exciting Fouts finale vs. K-State in 2010.

Was in my last semester of grad school for the 2011 opening of Apogee.  Bought my own tickets shortly thereafter.  Have been consistently donating and attending since except when I can't make certain weeknight games during busy season.  

I never did get back the passion and fire I briefly held when I started in 2008.  Todd Dodge's brand of arrogant refusal to adapt, sandlot everybody go long, hope for the best, and totally disregard special teams and defense "football" with his legions of sushi sucking Southlake acolytes kicked me in the nuts hard enough that I simply choose never to become that emotionally invested again.  

It's all kind of a numb automaton routine now.  Just the way they like it.

• Upvote 2

Transferred from UTEP in 1978 and have been a UNT fan since, in fact I am not insulted when we are called NTSU-i like it better!   After college I worked in a different state and moved back to Denton two years ago to be able to go to football and basketball games.  I can tell you it is better to sit in Apogee and watch us lose than to not sit in Apogee at all.

• Upvote 2

Denton born and raised. When I was in 5th grade, my buddy and his family were going to the Baylor game and asked my parents if I could go with them. My mom and dad said, "yes" 

We destroyed them, and I loved it. I ended up getting invited to every other (home) game that year, and we went 5-0. It was magical! My buddy ended up moving to Virginia that following summer, but I was hooked. I missed the season opener the next year (Florida Atlantic), but I was back after my mom got free tickets for the Middle Tennessee State game, and I've never missed a home game since then.... 61 consecutive and counting (and 66 of the last 67)

Have had some great times in Fouts and Apogee. Have also had some pretty miserable times too. Like southside said above, my worst day at a North Texas football game is better than pretty much any other day. Now that the "real world" is here, it's not as easy as those carefree days of yesteryear...I just hope I can outlast RV. I love this place way more, because I bleed green.

• Upvote 6

I watched my first NT game on 10-2-1999 at Baylor's Floyd Casey Stadium. I was a freshman at NT, my gf's dad lived in Waco, and one of my HS teammates was a true freshman playing for Baylor. I only really went because it was near her dad's house and I wanted to see how my hs teammate did. It was Baylor's only win that year. We had beaten Tech in Lubbock a week or two before and I thought that was kinda cool but couldn't point you to where Fouts Field was during that stint in my NT life. I knew Broderick McGrew was our best player but that was about it. I didn't even know Dickey was the coach or what conference we were in.

My fanaticism began when I returned to NT in the fall of '05 after 4 years away doing some maturing. We got our butts kicked by Tulsa 54-2 at Fouts but I was hooked. I watched a couple games on TV between the Baylor and Tulsa games, (James Mitchell special and the Danny Meager v MUTS win) but nothing compares to cheering your team on in person.

Fall of 1966.... But before that drove up from Dallas with my Dad to watch Abner play....so, really before 1966, but the fall of 1966 pretty must started me on this ride for the long haul.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My Father was a Letterman at North Texas and played from 1969 to 1973, Hayden Fry's first year. After getting done with college he stayed in Denton and opened up a Dental Practice here in town and ever since I was born, I have been attending home games. I really dont know what year it was but I can remember Fouts when they didnt have the bleachers on the North and South sides of the end zone but a bunch of greenery, They had the big (Brick?) scoreboard on the South end, drove around the green car and scrappy didnt scare all the children with his dark scowl he has now. I guess I was 6 or so when I fell in love with this football team/University. Once I graduated from High School, I followed in my fathers foot steps and Went to North Texas and Graduated in 2010. I became an even bigger fan once I was a part of this University and ever since then, I have bled green and been a solid supporter of anything North Texas.

• Upvote 3