** North Texas @ Iowa prediction thread **

10Eagle10

I listed this as an upset special in my preseason 6-6 record prediction. So far I got SMU wrong and Rice right so I'm already a game under...looking at being two games under this time next week.

You may be lucky to not go four games under.

Iowa 45

North Texas 10

Trailing 45-3, Mac is finally pressured to putting in DaMarcus Smith. We get a garbage time TD.

Hawkeyes - 55

MeanGreen - 13

McNulty throws for 150yds and a TD in garbage time, all the while playing average for the other quarters. Mac throws blame on everyone else, praises MiniMac's great play & output, gives many shout outs to his Iowa peeps, and mentions he has a national championship at Florida  twice.

Iowa TRIES not to run up the score and it is 27-3 at the half.

in the second half Mini Mac throws them two picks that they have no choice but to return for TD's.  The game ends 48-10 after Mini Mac throws a garbage time touchdown against the third string.  

Mac raves about how much mettle Mini Mac showed on that last drive and, ignorant of the cruel irony, names him the game four starter because he abhors turnovers.

I'm starting to wonder about the turnover thing. Since he is starting a QB with almost twice as many career picks than TDs is he talking about football or food?

He could have had a bad bakery experience as a child...

• Upvote 3

I have 2 predictions based on the availability of 1 player:  Jeff Wilson.
Option 1: No Wilson, or, he's back, but not 100%.
Give me a decent start defensively until Iowa makes adjustments.  Moore gets 3 chances again this week, and he hits all 3 this time.
Offensively? More of the same.
IA takes a 28-6 lead into halftime.
2nd half: Wheels fall off again, but we get a garbage-time TD VS IA backups.

Final:
Iowa - 45
UNT - 16

Option 2: Jeff Wilson is back & healthy.
New vigor and life in the NT offense as Wilson is able to make more out of his rushes.  Defense senses the change and plays very well for the first half.
IA takes a 21-10 lead into halftime.
2nd half: 3rd quarter is still somewhat of a game & Wilson gets NT to as close as 24-17 before Iowa's road graders just wear down the UNT D-line in the 4th.  NT still gets the late garbage time TD.

Final:
Iowa - 38
UNT - 24

Option 2: Jeff Wilson is back & healthy.

I am a big fan of Wilson but football is a team sport.  I am not sure even JaMario could come in and win us more than one more game than we will otherwise.  Ok maybe two....maybe.  

JaMario ran behind a line stacked with all conference players, and had a QB who could throw the deep ball accurately.  People respected that play option threat.   Wilson is a talent but there are a lot of holes on this team.  

• Upvote 1

Ferentz and Mac are good friends.  I don't see him stepping on the gas.

31-17 Hawkeyes

this makes sense.  We keep it close enough for Mac to say we competed on the road against a really, really good big ten team.  They are undefeated and he thinks they will have a good year.

The respectable performance gets mcnulty another start.  

Iowa TRIES not to run up the score and it is 27-3 at the half.

in the second half Mini Mac throws them two picks that they have no choice but to return for TD's.  The game ends 48-10 after Mini Mac throws a garbage time touchdown against the third string.  

Mac raves about how much mettle Mini Mac showed on that last drive and, ignorant of the cruel irony, names him the game four starter because he abhors turnovers.

Then goes over to McNulty's Dad and tells him how proud he is of his son and that he will do everything in his power to get his jersey retired...then they both laugh at how stupid it is that UNT gets to pay him through 2018.

• Upvote 3

UNT - 66
Iowa - 6

Iowa is the yellow sun to the Kryptonian that is residing deep within McNulty.  The Hawkeyes are completely blinded by the glow that shoots through McNulty's visor as he throws 65 yard bombs five times, to a different receiver every time.  God himself weeps at the glory that is spread over a 100 yard arena in an otherwise decrepit region; the rainfall is Grey Goose vodka.  A post-game high five between Coach Mac and Mini Mac opens a wormhole that takes the whole stadium to Valhalla. 

Alternatively, this game totally goes to hell (666) and the questionable substances I ingest give me visions of grandeur and unattainable things like time-travel and .500 seasons.  I thank RV for the good s#!t.

tumblr_mp5ve9SdIB1rtta3uo1_500.gif

Edited by Tyler Maryak
  • Upvote 7