Tony Mitchell signs with Golden State Warriors

Harry

If Tony runs rim to rim like he's capable of, he'll make the squad. If he acts like a p*$$ then he won't.

Agree totally.  But, man, what a streak of bad luck Tony has had with all those terrible coaches from college to the NBA to Puerto Rico and overseas who just don't know how to coach.  Here's hoping the folks in Golden State know how to coach because that is obviously the only thing holding back this incredibly gifted athlete.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 16

I actually wish we could see him with the Mavericks as a backup guy behind Chandler Parsons. 

If anyone could get Tony to excel it would be Pop or Carlisle, if those two can't then its not possible and Tony will be Tony. 

Agree totally.  But, man, what a streak of bad luck Tony has had with all those terrible coaches from college to the NBA to Puerto Rico and overseas who just don't know how to coach.  Here's hoping the folks in Golden State know how to coach because that is obviously the only thing holding back this incredibly gifted athlete.

You're really getting off, huh?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I would hope that all NT fans would hope for the very best for all NT alums.  Athletes or not. 

Run Tony Run

GO MEAN GREEN

UNT employees being paid for performance? UNASSAILABLE. If you have anything negative to say, shut your whine-holes and complain in private. 

UNT student, uncompensated, nearly seriously injured while here, struggling on the fringes of a successful professional career? THAT'S the guy you take snippy potshots at in public. 

UNT employees being paid for performance? UNASSAILABLE. If you have anything negative to say, shut your whine-holes and complain in private. 

UNT student, uncompensated, nearly seriously injured while here, struggling on the fringes of a successful professional career? THAT'S the guy you take snippy potshots at in public. 

I take umbrage with that statement.

There is no way AD employees are being paid for performance. They are being paid, but it appears that actually performing isn't required.

• Upvote 5

That "struggling on the fringes" is a 100% self-inflicted wound.  But, you actually do know that..... being the self-appointed basketball expert from afar that you are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

That "struggling on the fringes" is a 100% self-inflicted wound.  But, you actually do know that..... being the self-appointed basketball expert from afar that you are.

Obviously. Because the NBA isn't the hardest professional league to crack and stick. Guys picked after Tony in the 2013 draft who are even signed to NBA contracts at this point in their careers?

Joffrey Lauvergne - French Center, contract with the Denver Nuggets (non-guaranteed after this year) 24 games of NBA experience. 

Lorenzo Brown - Minnesota Timberwolves (non-guaranteed contract)

James Ennis - Miami Heat (non-guaranteed contract)

Ryan Kelly - LA Lakers (partially guaranteed contract, also played for LA's D-league team last year) - 6'11" center

Raulzinho Neto - Zero NBA experience, first NBA contract signed with Utah Jazz (July, 2015)

Erick Green - Denver Nuggets (non-guaranteed contract, also played for Denver's D-league team last year)

Mike Muscala - Atlanta Hawks (partially guaranteed contract, multiple stints with Atlanta's D-league team) - 6'11" center 

Pierre Jackson - Zero NBA experience, first NBA contract signed with Philadelphia 76ers (July, 2015 - partially guaranteed, no guarantees past 2015)

Jamaal Franklin - 21 games of NBA experience (exactly the same as Tony!), multiple D-league stints. Signed a non-guaranteed contract with the Denver Nuggets (April, 2015)

Grant Jerrett - Utah Jazz (partially guaranteed contract). 8 career NBA games, multiple D-league stints. 6'10" Forward

Jeff Withey - Utah Jazz (partially guaranteed contract). 7' center

That's everyone drafted after Tony in 2013 that's even on an NBA contract of any kind at this point in their careers. Most (if not quite all) can and will be cut or reassigned at no financial cost to their teams. Half of them, not coincidentally including many with any sort of guaranteed money, are 6'10" or taller. 

What I do know is that no matter what your advantages and talent level, the NBA is the hardest professional league in all of sports to make it in and stick. Particularly if you're not a first round pick, and particularly if you're not 6'10" or taller. The top overall pick in Tony's draft is about to get bought out because roster spots are so scarce, two different teams have decided they can't be bothered to train and develop him. 

The fact that Tony is still out there, fighting to make a U.S. basketball career for himself, and earning a shot to compete for a roster spot on an NBA team (the defending champions, no less) is a testament to his dedication and talent, and that fortitude ought to be commended, not disrespected. 

Instead, a guy who constantly scolds and criticizes people (talking about you here, KRAM, just to be clear) for having anything negative to say about paid employees at an institution historically notable only for chronic failure and awfulness? He continues to tear down a former scholarship athlete who stayed here a year longer than most people expected (and two years more than anyone would have dared to dream before JJ brought him to us), and to snipe at and crap on him for no real clear reason I can understand. 

We haven't had anyone in decades that could even come close to the NBA, and you mock this guy because he hasn't made it and stuck there yet. Because almost no one does. Even some of the first round picks taken ahead of Tony (with guaranteed contracts) have washed out, been sent to the D-league, or never made it to the NBA in the first place. 

If you just can't bring yourself to like the guy, then fine. But, maybe you should pretend he cashed a UNT paycheck, and keep your criticism private. Odds are he won't make it in the NBA. But he hasn't taken the easier and more lucrative route (European basketball), because he may just be talented enough to play at the highest level and stick around there. I hope he can. And if he can't, then all that means (arguably) is that he isn't one of the 200 most talented basketball players in the world. But he was still something special, and we got to see him in North Texas uniform.

Obviously. Because the NBA isn't the hardest professional league to crack and stick. Guys picked after Tony in the 2013 draft who are even signed to NBA contracts at this point in their careers?

Joffrey Lauvergne - French Center, contract with the Denver Nuggets (non-guaranteed after this year) 24 games of NBA experience. 

Ryan Kelly - LA Lakers (partially guaranteed contract, also played for LA's D-league team last year) - 6'11" center

Raulzinho Neto - Zero NBA experience, first NBA contract signed with Utah Jazz (July, 2015)

Erick Green - Denver Nuggets (non-guaranteed contract, also played for Denver's D-league team last year)

Mike Muscala - Atlanta Hawks (partially guaranteed contract, multiple stints with Atlanta's D-league team) - 6'11" center 

Pierre Jackson - Zero NBA experience, first NBA contract signed with Philadelphia 76ers (July, 2015 - partially guaranteed, no guarantees past 2015)

Jamaal Franklin - 21 games of NBA experience (exactly the same as Tony!), multiple D-league stints. Signed a non-guaranteed contract with the Denver Nuggets (April, 2015)

Grant Jerrett - Utah Jazz (partially guaranteed contract). 8 career NBA games, multiple D-league stints. 6'10" Forward

That's everyone drafted after Tony in 2013 that's even on an NBA contract of any kind at this point in their careers. Most (if not quite all) can and will be cut or reassigned at no financial cost to their teams. Half of them, not coincidentally including many with any sort of guaranteed money, are 6'10" or taller. 

What I do know is that no matter what your advantages and talent level, the NBA is the hardest professional league in all of sports to make it in and stick. Particularly if you're not a first round pick, and particularly if you're not 6'10" or taller. The top overall pick in Tony's draft is about to get bought out because roster spots are so scarce, two different teams have decided they can't be bothered to train and develop him. 

The fact that Tony is still out there, fighting to make a U.S. basketball career for himself, and earning a shot to compete for a roster spot on an NBA team (the defending champions, no less) is a testament to his dedication and talent, and that fortitude ought to be commended, not disrespected. 

Instead, a guy who constantly scolds and criticizes people (talking about you here, KRAM, just to be clear) for having anything negative to say about paid employees at an institution historically notable only for chronic failure and awfulness? He continues to tear down a former scholarship athlete who stayed here a year longer than most people expected (and two years more than anyone would have dared to dream before JJ brought him to us), and to snipe at and crap on him for no real clear reason I can understand. 

We haven't had anyone in decades that could even come close to the NBA, and you mock this guy because he hasn't made it and stuck there yet. Because almost no one does. Even some of the first round picks taken ahead of Tony (with guaranteed contracts) have washed out, been sent to the D-league, or never made it to the NBA in the first place. 

If you just can't bring yourself to like the guy, then fine. But, maybe you should pretend he cashed a UNT paycheck, and keep your criticism private. Odds are he won't make it in the NBA. But he hasn't taken the easier and more lucrative route (European basketball), because he may just be talented enough to play at the highest level and stick around there. I hope he can. And if he can't, then all that means (arguably) is that he isn't one of the 200 most talented basketball players in the world. But he was still something special, and we got to see him in North Texas uniform.

3U29fcF.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Have you taken a peek at the football forum lately?  

John,

I am hopeful that Tony Mitchell realizes his potential and we do see him play in the NBA.  I don't think anyone questions his athletic ability.  I watched 75% of the games he played the last year he was here.  All home games and traveled to half of the road games.

I am sorry, but I have to question the effort that I saw.  For whatever reason, he loafed around.  Blame it on the coach, whatever.  Hopefully he has matured and has found a motor, because you are correct, there are not that many spots in the NBA, and talent alone does not cut it.

I agree that he was special, and when he wanted to be, he was the most dominate player in the conference.

I for one am on the side of the argument that student athletes are students.  The reason I support at the level that I do is first and foremost, to give young people opportunities that they otherwise might not have without their athletic abilities.  What is the value of a degree?  Is a provided education not cashing a check? Mr. Mitchell was a rare bird at our school, a potential "one and done".  He should have declared for the draft instead of playing for Benford, he only devalued himself for staying, that is obvious.

• Upvote 6

I for one am on the side of the argument that student athletes are students.  The reason I support at the level that I do is first and foremost, to give young people opportunities that they otherwise might not have without their athletic abilities. 

Win or lose, and brother, there's a LOT of the latter, I still get verklempt when I see the videos of the students thanking the donors or when I get a phone call from one of the student athletes.  I'm proud to pay forward the (extremely non-athletic) opportunities I was afforded.

• Upvote 2

John,

I am hopeful that Tony Mitchell realizes his potential and we do see him play in the NBA.  I don't think anyone questions his athletic ability.  I watched 75% of the games he played the last year he was here.  All home games and traveled to half of the road games.

I am sorry, but I have to question the effort that I saw.  For whatever reason, he loafed around.  Blame it on the coach, whatever.  Hopefully he has matured and has found a motor, because you are correct, there are not that many spots in the NBA, and talent alone does not cut it.

I agree that he was special, and when he wanted to be, he was the most dominate player in the conference.

I for one am on the side of the argument that student athletes are students.  The reason I support at the level that I do is first and foremost, to give young people opportunities that they otherwise might not have without their athletic abilities.  What is the value of a degree?  Is a provided education not cashing a check? Mr. Mitchell was a rare bird at our school, a potential "one and done".  He should have declared for the draft instead of playing for Benford, he only devalued himself for staying, that is obvious.

Were you at the Rice game on Saturday. It looked like a lot of the defense was loafing in the 3rd and 4th quarter of that game too. I guess I'll blame it on the coach or whatever.

When kids start to give up, they don't play as hard. That is always on the leadership. It's more obvious when the player clearly has more ability than everyone else on the floor. It wasn't as obvious when Keith Coleman didn't play as hard that year.

If you want to question the effort, blame it on Benford and whoever brought him here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Player effort and coaching are not mutually exclusive, nor are they necessarily inclusive.  

When we discuss professional sports and someone like say, oh, Josh Hamilton comes up, there are any myriad of reasons brought up as to why he's taken such a mighty fall from such lofty heights.  Because we are not personal stakeholders in his salary or in the management team of the Texas Rangers, we can discuss all the angles, which include certain combinations of poor player management and poor player effort.

But here at UNT, we seem to have a "must" rule of taking 100% one side or the other, mostly dependent on how and with whom we're involved in the program.  

I find this really intriguing. 

• Upvote 2