Any thoughts on Iowa?

Harry

Yeah man, we need to be playing teams like this EVERY year.  That way it's a matter of time before we're up and one of them is down, and THAT is why so many other teams tend to get their nice "upsets" on regular bases whereas we don't.  Scheduling these once in a while is like playing different numbers in the lottery every time...you could win at least a small amount if you stayed consistent, but the inconsistency almost guarantees that you won't.

• Upvote 2

I like french fries, so thanks for all the potatoes. And "Fargo" was a pretty good movie, so I guess that's a mark in Iowa's favor. And, the home of Mount Rushmore can't be all bad. 

But Cardinals fans are insufferable, I think those cheese hats are ugly and dumb, and I hate their "Rock, Chalk, Hawkeye" chant. 

I guess, when you tally up the pros vs. cons on Iowa... I could take or leave the whole state. 

My thoughts are these: 

Who cares what happens. Just go up there and pull out all stops. You've got nothing to lose except another game. Play loose. Play backyard ball. We're up there to get a check. Maybe we mess around and make people notice us for a couple quarters. Maybe not. 

Just don't keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. 

• Upvote 3

I'm really happy be related by marriage to the Lowman family from Des Moines, due to my stepson having married their daughter.  It's always fun talking to her father, Dennis the Dentist, a big Hawkeye fan who has played golf with Hayden Fry, and has a lot of respect for what Dan McCarney did at Iowa State ("it's amazing what he was able to do there, especially going down to Texas and recruiting all those players").  His wife, Nancy, informed me she had taught Dan McCarney high school English.  I asked her if McCarney was a nice guy and she said "oh no". 

My thoughts are these: 

Who cares what happens. Just go up there and pull out all stops. You've got nothing to lose except another game. Play loose. Play backyard ball. We're up there to get a check. Maybe we mess around and make people notice us for a couple quarters. Maybe not. 

Just don't keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. 

Bonus points for the correct use of the words lose and loose in the same post.

• Upvote 2

I dunno, if they play consistently the way they did when they were doing well against Rice (i.e. dump some of the really bad mistakes and the momentum-killing that goes with it), I could see an upset.  But that's a pretty big IF, ya know?  Still, we can keep hoping!  I was really wishing 2 years ago that we'd played Iowa and UT then. Both of the UTs, actually.