What will we do for a QB NEXT year

UNT90

And Chumley didn't make the travel squad. Neither did Dillman, so if we're redshirting him anyways...

Yeah, it's probably Smith or you're looking at this coaching staff going after a JUCO QB for the 5th time in its 6th recruiting class.

IF we get a new coach I want coach Brad Smiley at TVCC. Great recruiter, winning a lot of games at TVCC, unproven as an FBS head coach but you limit your options here if that's what you want, and you will have to get a coach who was fired or let go at his last job because we can't really hire away a currently winning FBS coach. If we got Smiley it would be convenient to get his QB Jerod Evans, formerly of Mansfield. He could be a target even if we keep Mccarney.

• Upvote 1

IF we get a new coach I want coach Brad Smiley at TVCC. Great recruiter, winning a lot of games at TVCC, unproven as an FBS head coach but you limit your options here if that's what you want, and you will have to get a coach who was fired or let go at his last job because we can't really hire away a currently winning FBS coach. If we got Smiley it would be convenient to get his QB Jerod Evans, formerly of Mansfield. He could be a target even if we keep Mccarney.

Juco to FBS HC is a pretty big leap.  Not saying it can't work, but I can't think of any coaches off the top of my head who have successfully done it.  I'd look primarily to the FCS ranks; and, to a lesser extent, to DII.  ULL was able to find Hudspeth out of DII, and that worked out very well for them.

Juco to FBS HC is a pretty big leap.  Not saying it can't work, but I can't think of any coaches off the top of my head who have successfully done it.  I'd look primarily to the FCS ranks; and, to a lesser extent, to DII.  ULL was able to find Hudspeth out of DII, and that worked out very well for them.

I think if we look too much into what the coach is instead of who he is then we take a lot of good candidates out of the mix. That's why Smiley is still there. You get a good AD who can successfully identify who has what it takes (i.e. Jon Daniels with Ron Washington and Jeff Bannister) and not just who has the ideal resume, or the resume most like your pre-set parameters.

Smiley is from Louisiana, went to Baylor, was the recruiting coordinator at Tulane, and is at TVCC now. He leads or is in the top 5 every year of all JUCOs for most D1 signees. He gets great talent in, and HS coaches trust him with their non-qualifiers. I'm sure they would trust him with their qualifiers as well. Very familiar with DFW and East Texas, which is where we need to live in recruiting. At the very least he would leave the next coach with good players like Dodge did for Mac. 

• Upvote 1

You get a good AD who can successfully identify who has what it takes (i.e. Jon Daniels with Ron Washington and Jeff Bannister) and not just who has the ideal resume, or the resume most like your pre-set parameters.

Baseball is a different animal altogether.  You often see successful MLB baseball managers with little to no actual coaching/managing experience (of course, Wash and Bannister had plenty).  You just don't see that in FBS football.

I don't doubt that Smiley can recruit; but after the Dodge experiment, I'm very hesitant to go down a road that hasn't historically been successful.

Baseball is a different animal altogether.  You often see successful MLB baseball managers with little to no actual coaching/managing experience (of course, Wash and Bannister had plenty).  You just don't see that in FBS football.

I don't doubt that Smiley can recruit; but after the Dodge experiment, I'm very hesitant to go down a road that hasn't historically been successful.

I understand baseball is different, but it just goes back to the idea that smart people recognize other smart people. It's not a coincidence JD picked quite possibly two of the best three managers in Rangers' history with his two hires. He's a great mind and he can pick out the managers who have what it takes and siphon out the ones who don't. 

If you have an AD who can recognize someone good then get them. We just can't afford to be picky, and have to look outside the conventions that many FBS programs might use.

It bit us in the butt before but that's because the hire itself (himself) was not the right one, and then the whole hiring his high school staff thing. I'm sure there are others who could do well, Smiley's just my guy. I just don't want a whole bunch of parameters set, excluding a lot of good candidates just so we can make the "safest" pick based primarily on resume. Then again, Mccarney still hasn't proven do be a failure. He just has to step it up, especially at producing QBs.