No More FCS For a Texas FBS Team

greenit

Meanwhile, RV loves him some Portland State, some Lamar, let us not forget Abilene Christian, Liberty, and Incarnate Word.

I was embarrassed for him when he said he couldn't land Northern Arizona. My goodness that was awful. He tried to land Northern Arizona but couldn't seal the deal. Are you kidding me?

I think he needs to pay attention to good ADs, like UH obviously has, and stop scheduling this nonsense. We left 1aa for a reason. If he can't schedule better than the aforementioned antidotes to butts in seats then he should be thanked for his many contributions to our university and immediately fired. If he can't adapt then he needs to go, and go fast.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Ive been telling you guys since forever thay all we do is think big.  Plus FCS games are BORING. We only drew 30k for our home opener against freaking Tennessee Tech of all schools and it got boring watching the team push them around like it was nothing. We have no desire to rot in the G5. In order to become a P5 school, you gotta act like one first.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

What does that mean long term for our programs. Can we expect FCS to be totally removed from P5 scheduling, and if so, what next?

I don't know what it means for your program, but for ours it means the possibility of 2 FCS home games a year!!

UH raised 60 million in donations for their stadium alone.   We get a 1.2 million check and RV gets the man of the year award. So yeah I think UH might be a program to follow. 

bravo, sir.

Bravo. 

Ive been telling you guys since forever thay all we do is think big.  Plus FCS games are BORING. We only drew 30k for our home opener against freaking Tennessee Tech of all schools and it got boring watching the team push them around like it was nothing. We have no desire to rot in the G5. In order to become a P5 school, you gotta act like one first.

I cannot believe I am about to type this:

CougarKing is right. These games aren't worth your time or money, which is why the B1G Ten stopped scheduling them.

UH has a location problem--they are located in a state, whose two primary conferences (Big XII and SEC) don't need them. The Pac is truly the only option to get UH into a P5 conference, but they want Texas and Oklahoma. What I actually see happening to them is that when the Big XII crumbles, all of the leftovers are going to form a new G5 conference like the Big East did with the AAC. UH and SMU will join Baylor, TCU, K-State, ISU, and whoever gets left behind, then add in the top end of the AAC to form the new league, teams like Cincy, Memphis, Tulane, Tulsa, and go hard after  NIU, UCF, USF, and ECU.

I don't know what it means for your program, but for ours it means the possibility of 2 FCS home games a year!!

You know that'll never happen.  Only one FCS game per year counts.  In those years when we can't secure a second FBS home game, we'll just go play another one down at Kyle Field.  I wonder if you can play the same P5 power house school twice in the same season.  I'm sure LSU/Alabama/Texas/A&M/OU would love the opportunity to scrimmage on our asses at the beginning of the season then again as a mid season tune-up before the conference games that count begin.

You know that'll never happen.  Only one FCS game per year counts.  In those years when we can't secure a second FBS home game, we'll just go play another one down at Kyle Field.  I wonder if you can play the same P5 power house school twice in the same season.  I'm sure LSU/Alabama/Texas/A&M/OU would love the opportunity to scrimmage on our asses at the beginning of the season then again as a mid season tune-up before the conference games that count begin.

Actually it almost happened this year. RV said himself he tried to schedule Northern Arizona but he couldn't seal the deal. That would have been 2 FCS teams this season. There is a reason we had no game opening weekend. RV was too inept to secure a second FCS team. Which exactly why he needs to be fired. He's small minded and stuck in his ways. Kind of like our coaches when it comes to QBs. 

RV has done great with our infrastructure and non revenue sports. It's time to bring in someone to finish the job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually it almost happened this year. RV said himself he tried to schedule Northern Arizona but he couldn't seal the deal. That would have been 2 FCS teams this season. There is a reason we had no game opening weekend. RV was too inept to secure a second FCS team. Which exactly why he needs to be fired. He's small minded and stuck in his ways. Kind of like our coaches when it comes to QBs. 

RV has done great with our infrastructure and non revenue sports. It's time to bring in someone to finish the job.

No, there is no way we would have had two FCS teams scheduled this year.  Either (1) the talk with Northern Arizona happened before Portland State was scheduled, or (2) the talk with Northern Arizona never happened, at least not as we understand RV to have portrayed it.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

That actually isn't quite correct.  I believe Northern Arizona/Portland St was an either/or situation.  Playing both would result in a 13-game season.

That's pretty much how RV explained it and the way my friends and I took it. I'd never put stupidity in scheduling out of the realm of possibilty with this man. Either way I've lost all confidence in his ability to lead that department. He's small minded and behind the times. The FCS then bodybag nonsense is completely lame. 

No, there is no way we would have had two FCS teams scheduled this year.  Either (1) the talk with Northern Arizona happened before Portland State was scheduled, or (2) the talk with Northern Arizona never happened, at least not as we understand RV to have portrayed it.

or 3) the talk with Northern Arizona never happened at all...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RV scheduling is bad, but there weren't going to be 2 FCS games. He scheduled Portland State after NAU "backed out" or whatever happened. That's why we had a week 1 bye instead of the week we play Portland State.

I wonder if beating teams like Nichols State 77-3 had anything to do with an fcs backing out.

We won't want to schedule FCS after one of them ends up beating us, and I think Portland State and Liberty have a shot. 

I agree with Cougar King on this one. FCS games are just an easy BORING win (Yes I know Port State might not be so easy). Easy out for RV though... He's technically doing his job, and we are playing football in his eyes................ Not who we're playing.......