UNT90

I don't know if you know the answer to this, but how does Rick's contract work?   Is it guaranteed like the coaches?  Or is it a normal yearly salary?

The AD has a contract that runs through early 2018.  He is guaranteed a base of $275k a year.  He has some allowance that are not guaranteed.  He has a yearly bonus of $100k, I have heard that it is and it is not guaranteed.  

Edited by Cerebus

I don't think Fly was coyly indicating that. Of course, this just all goes to the person reading its point of view. You want to see that because you think the thing is all rigged. I on the other hand do not. One of us is surely wrong :P

I read it that RV has cultivated all of these relationships and donors, which makes it more difficult to just can him. And that's probably how it should be. These are people after all.

Whether or not, the 12-15 donors is the "right" amount is difficult to know. It's certainly more than we used to have. Is it enough to do the things that Fly seems to indicate that we will do if we need to. Well more would be better but he says it is.

I tend to think that the course has been run by the current leadership and the issues are systemic and that a house cleaning is needed. I think those there should be thanked but they did make significant progress. Whether or not someone else would have made the same progress, more or less progress , we can't know that.

The MGC numbers and attendance have plateaued, and our teams generally all lose so a change is needed.

Much like fans can get criticized as fair weather would donors not be the same, donors should donate to the school, not the AD, I hope when/if we get a new AD that the new AD will be able to continue the donor pipeline and then build even more on the pathetic MGC numbers present. UNT just needs it right now to grow and remain relevant

The AD has a contract that runs through early 2018.  He is guaranteed a base of $275k a year.  He has some allowance that are not guaranteed.  He has a yearly bonus of $100k, I have heard that it is and it is not guaranteed.  

So even if he's fired "for cause", he gets (at minimum) his $275k/yr, totaling $1.1mil, maybe more.   Right?  
If so, Smatresk is going to need to do some serious gladhanding.  I just don't see it.

There are three scenarios to ponder with this hypothetical:

1.) Smatresk gets BOR approval and fires RV as the AD, having raised the funds to cover the remainder of his contract--maybe RV gets reclassed under fundraising or community development of something else, but we hire an AD. Benford gets replaced after this season and we hire an actual experienced head coach. We hire a new OC and Mac is told to focus on defense only by the new AD, hired by the Smatresk. Then we see if we can get any improvement for 2016 and 2017.

2.) Smatresk wants to replace RV, but the BOR connections won't let him because he #UNTADforlife. We still replace Benford, but RV chooses the hire. Mac gets rid of Chico, hires another OC, who runs the monolithic single-wing T offense that Knute Rockne that was too boring. Mac stays until the end of the 2017 season.

3.) Smatresk buys into RV's views, knowing he has BOR backing and the half dozen big monied donors' support to be the #UNTADforlife, and let's him continue running things as is. Benford goes .500 next season and RV extends him. Mac still replaces Chico (dead man walking right now) and hires OC to run the offense more like Army did in the 1940's.

I'll place odds at 15% for scenario 1, 45% for scenario 2, and 40% for scenario 3.

Edited by untjim1995

There are three scenarios to ponder whit this hypothetical:

1.) Smatresk gets BOR approval and fires RV as the AD, having raised the funds to cover the remainder of his contract--maybe RV gets reclassed under fundraising or community development of something else, but we hire an AD. Benford gets replaced after this season and we hire an actual experienced head coach. We hire a new OC and Mac is told to focus on defense only by the new AD, hired by the Smatresk. Then we see if we can get any improvement for 2016 and 2017.

2.) Smatresk wants to replace RV, but the BOR connections won't let him because he #UNTADforlife. We still replace Benford, but RV chooses the hire. Mac gets rid of Chico, hires another OC, who runs the monolithic single-wing T offense that Knute Rockne that was too boring. Mac stays until the end of the 2017 season.

3.) Smatresk buys into RV's views, knowing he has BOR backing and the half dozen big monied donors' support to be the #UNTADforlife, and let's him continue running things as is. Benford goes .500 next season and RV extends him. Mac still replaces Chico (dead man walking right now) and hires OC to run the offense more like Army did in the 1940's.

I'll place odds at 15% for scenario 1, 45% for scenario 2, and 40% for scenario 3.

I'd put it something like 0% for scenario 1, 15% for scenario 2, and 85% for scenario 3.

• Upvote 1

I feel the odds are higher for #1 than anyone would ever dare predict...

Seriously, its our only hope at this point. #2 probably keeps me around to follow the teams passively for the next few years. #3 might would be enough to push me away for good. If Tony Benford is coaching here beyond next season, without a berth in the NCAAs or NIT, that will be unforgivable to me. I know this is the football forum, but our ceiling of competing to be a top program in this sport is probably being a top rated G5 team. But basketball, as it currently stands, is very different. We have seen Butler play for a national championship in back-to-back years. We have seen George Mason make a Final Four, as well as Virginia Commonwealth in the last decade. We have seen Western Kentucky make a Sweet 16. This sport just needs great coaches who can recruit and teach x's and o's--and that combo has the potential to turn you into a Gonzaga-type program in the future (see San Diego State right now). Benford cannot keep the talent he recruits here because he cannot coach x's and o's--at all. If he gets one day beyond this upcoming season as our coach without a NCAA or NIT berth, I'm out...

• Upvote 1