UNT90

Who is the president going to ask for this money?  The problem that you have is that all of the big money athletics donors, and I mean all of them, have been cultivated by R.V.  They are working to fix the development department, but it has been so inept over the last 15 years that there is nobody giving money to athletics that Rick has not brought in to the fold.  Who you gonna call, Mattress Mac?  He is gone down the road.  And And And, R.V. has been quietly raising a crap load of money the past 6 months.  Game changing money.

Other than mac and benford winning somehow.  The best you can hope does not include "buying out Ricks contract".  This is not a RV homer talking.  I am just stating facts.

But, in another thread you said this:  "I am tired of hearing how broke we are.  It is simply not true.  If we need to buy people out, we can do it."

Genuine question, and I'm honestly not trying to be snide:  Are you suggesting that the school can produce any buyout that it deems necessary except for RV?  He is untouchable because 100% of our several big donors support him personally and would not continue their support for Mean Green Athletics under any other AD? 

• Upvote 1

Who is the president going to ask for this money?  The problem that you have is that all of the big money athletics donors, and I mean all of them, have been cultivated by R.V.  They are working to fix the development department, but it has been so inept over the last 15 years that there is nobody giving money to athletics that Rick has not brought in to the fold.  Who you gonna call, Mattress Mac?  He is gone down the road.  And And And, R.V. has been quietly raising a crap load of money the past 6 months.  Game changing money.

Other than mac and benford winning somehow.  The best you can hope does not include "buying out Ricks contract".  This is not a RV homer talking.  I am just stating facts.

just saw this post. So what you are saying is these people donated money to the RV for AD fund, not to the University of North Texas athletic department. I find that extremely hard to believe.

At some point, a return on their investment would be more important than drinks on the square with good ole RV. I would think that point is very close at hand. 

Also, are you talking about the athletic development department, which is ran by the athletic director? Is there a developmental department that pursues athletic donors that ISNT controlled by the AD? If so, why? 

I had hope from some of your earlier post, and I don't believe you speak for every other major donor, but this is still disconcerting that even one of our major donors thinks one man is more important than the overall program. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

just saw this post. So what you are saying is these people donated money to the RV for AD fund, not to the University of North Texas athletic department. I find that extremely hard to believe.

At some point, a return on their investment would be more important than drinks on the square with good ole RV. I would think that point is very close at hand. 

Also, are you talking about the athletic development department, which is ran by the athletic director? Is there a developmental department that pursues athletic donors that ISNT controlled by the AD? If so, why? 

I had hope from some of your earlier post, and I don't believe you speak for every other major donor, but this is still disconcerting that even one of our major donors thinks one man is more important than the overall program. 

yes,  yes, yes.  The "development" guy that sits at the athletic center is Reggie right now.  There is "mean green club" then there is development.  I DO NOT THINK THAT ONE GUY is more important than the overall program.  first year mac don't care....second year mac, distant memory....third year mac 9-4 heart of dallas bowl champions.  4th year mac 4-8.  This year, 0-1 and counting.  Dan McCarney knows what the bar is.  He knows what happens with backwards.  We either improve, or this thing takes care of itself.  Its that simple.

We either improve, or this thing takes care of itself.  Its that simple.

I tend to agree with Fly on this.  Makes no sense to be calling for the coaches head after one game.  Yes I am extremely pissed about coming out flat in yet ANOTHER important opening season game.  Beyond pissed actually.  But I think we wait and see how the rest of the season plays out at this point. 

I know it is a crazy situation,  but the facts are, our pool of large donors is very small.  Pick up a program, look in the "capital campaign " section, then cross reference that with the largest mgc donors.  That is your list

How much discussion has there been internally about eliminating the paycheck game?

At the point that we eliminate that game and the FCS game and replace them with two decent H/H series, it seems like MGC memberships and season tickets would be a lot easier to sell. 

I realize it can't happen without money, but I am wondering if there is even interest internally in pursuing it. 

• Upvote 1

yes,  yes, yes.  The "development" guy that sits at the athletic center is Reggie right now.  There is "mean green club" then there is development.  I DO NOT THINK THAT ONE GUY is more important than the overall program.  first year mac don't care....second year mac, distant memory....third year mac 9-4 heart of dallas bowl champions.  4th year mac 4-8.  This year, 0-1 and counting.  Dan McCarney knows what the bar is.  He knows what happens with backwards.  We either improve, or this thing takes care of itself.  Its that simple.

my post was about RV, not DMac. 

ALL athletic raising functions should be controlled by the AD. If it has been that way for his 15 years here and he did nothing about it, that's on the AD. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yes, he did nothing about it.  He raised no money in 15 years.  None.  HAHAHA

#itsallajoke

He's gotten some huge donations, but his track record of increasing season ticket sales and MGC membership is nothing short of embarrassing. That and his awful hiring record that has left both bball programs, softball and now football in shambles are the main reasons most fans want him gone.

The fact he basically lied to everyone about how Apogee would help us in scheduling doesn't help either. 

some of the crap posted here, for instance "rv raises no money" makes me laugh.  or statements like "Have you seen where our athletic program stands after all of the money you've poured into it?"

No, I don't see anything.  I can't see the positives or the negatives.  I can't read the standings and see how many games have been won or lost, so yeah, sorry........when it is a joke

#itsallajoke

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

yes, he did nothing about it.  He raised no money in 15 years.  None.  HAHAHA

#itsallajoke

#RVcandonowrong is the joke, and you continually perpetuate it. Your previous post implying that RV is untouchable because of personal relationships with donors is a huge joke. Are they paying for RV's friendship, or do they expect him to do a job? 

Tell you what, let's move RV into Reggie's position, since that seems to be the one thing he knows how to do, according to you (I don't see 15 major donors in 15 years at a school with a student population that has slowly grown to 35k as a great, or even good, fundraising job), and hire an AD that knows how to do THE REST of the job. 

It's disheartening to see a major donor so snowed by a con man who will lie at the drop of the hat to benefit himself. Be prepared for more years of losing and throwing good money after bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's disheartening to see a major donor so snowed by a con man who will lie at the drop of the hat to benefit himself. Be prepared for more years of losing and throwing good money after bad.

mVYi5Wu.gif

Good God.  Serious question here: How in the hell do you think insulting someone over large cash donations to our alma mater is a going to convince them to your way of thinking?  I have no idea who Fly is, but I am guessing he is someone who likes analytics, show him the numbers and maybe he comes around.

If he doesn't, move on, Smatresk is the person we have to get rolling on this issue anyway.

Display some emotional maturity, you are really Ben Gooding'ing the message all up.  

• Upvote 4

This sounds ominous and promising, but I guess Benford doesn't know what the bar is?  ... Because that thing hasn't taken care of itself.

He is very easy to find and very accessible.  I've never known him to turn down an in-person discussion on these matters.  Very few people are as dedicated to this thing as Mr. and Mrs. Fly.  They care and commit like very few others do.  Part of that is an always open ear.  

Ever since we stopped the Mean Green Report I have tried not to meet people.   1) I found it weird for people I never met to "know" me, and 2) I didn't really like the stabbing threats. 

• Upvote 1

mVYi5Wu.gif

Good God.  Serious question here: How in the hell do you think insulting someone over large cash donations to our alma mater is a going to convince them to your way of thinking?  I have no idea who Fly is, but I am guessing he is someone who likes analytics, show him the numbers and maybe he comes around.

If he doesn't, move on, Smatresk is the person we have to get rolling on this issue anyway.

Display some emotional maturity, you are really Ben Gooding'ing the message all up.  

meh. He knows for where he wonders. We also know who each other are in real life and neither of us have threatened to stab one another. 

And I think you misread my post. There was nothing emotional about it. Fly all but said that RV is protected because he has cultivated every major donor. If he falls into that group, then the above post is nothing but a warning of what is to come.

Without people like Fly's support, the president is pissing against a strong north wind if he goes to the BOR wanting to remove RV. Fly has said coaches would be held accountable, but then kinda coyly indicates RV is protected. So what we will have is RV yet again making coaching hires and negotiating coaching contracts...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So what we will have is RV yet again making coaching hires and negotiating coaching contracts...

Right now my giving to the university is prioritized:

1. Athletics
  2. CoBA
  3. CoE
  4. Misc

If we get to the point where the current AD is hiring a new football coach, I think it goes:

1. CoBA
  2. CoE
  3. Misc
  4. Athletics

A long as I have the financial means to I will contribute to the MGC.  I believe in their mission to give student athletes an education.  That will be it.  I won't buy tickets, I won't give to any construction, I wont't be at any of the games.  I know for the vast majority of you this just seems like some random blowhard blowharding, but to those of you who know me and know how much being a "Mean Green Fan" is part of my identity will get how shocking this is.  I never thought I would get to this point.

I just can't accept the mediocrity.  I know other parts of the University will use my money much more effectively.  

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

I don't mind talking to anyone about this, including mr. 90.  I can be found at 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning September 19th. in the corner of the blue parking lot in between the pond and the parking lot.  There will be an igloo cooler with enough bloody marys for anyone that wants one, and you can see one of the greatest feats of engineering I have seen in a while provided by one of my tail gate partners and fellow suite holder snowed donor RV apologist Bonded Lightning Protection.

Come by, we can all rant in private,  (cell phones will have to go in the bucket though because we allow no recording and will deny anything)

I challenge you guys to come by, you might be enlightened as to the opinions.

Without people like Fly's support, the president is pissing against a strong north wind if he goes to the BOR wanting to remove RV. Fly has said coaches would be held accountable, but then kinda coyly indicates RV is protected. So what we will have is RV yet again making coaching hires and negotiating coaching contracts...

I don't think Fly was coyly indicating that. Of course, this just all goes to the person reading its point of view. You want to see that because you think the thing is all rigged. I on the other hand do not. One of us is surely wrong :P

I read it that RV has cultivated all of these relationships and donors, which makes it more difficult to just can him. And that's probably how it should be. These are people after all.

Whether or not, the 12-15 donors is the "right" amount is difficult to know. It's certainly more than we used to have. Is it enough to do the things that Fly seems to indicate that we will do if we need to. Well more would be better but he says it is.

I tend to think that the course has been run by the current leadership and the issues are systemic and that a house cleaning is needed. I think those there should be thanked but they did make significant progress. Whether or not someone else would have made the same progress, more or less progress , we can't know that.

The MGC numbers and attendance have plateaued, and our teams generally all lose so a change is needed.