GMG Crowdfund, Round 2: A Delicious Proposal

TheTastyGreek

How is New York Sub Hub not getting the nod in this transaction?  They've been supporting UNT for decades, and when it comes to piling six feet of corn fed beef in front of an angry mob, nobody is on board like New York Sub Hub.  

I suggest that this fund raiser go big or go home.  One six foot meatball and cheese, hold the pickles, served in a timely manner, under a tree, with lots of napkins.

Yes. Everytime I am back in denton, Sub hub is where I go. 

• Upvote 1

At first I dismissed this as just more "yucks" from the usual suspects, but then I started looking into what our rivals are doing - namely schedule killer NAU, who RV has called out by name. Now, the explanation on the podcast was odd, but it was even more odd that NAU was on his radar. However, if you consider their promotions and the sandwich hierarchy it started making sense. They not only have enough sandwiches for their own AD, but they can freely give away vouchers for entire party platters to their fans.

large.NAU_rewards.PNG.6e1b1a24d33d9fd94c

Think that doesn't matter? Well, it's possibly the difference between a bye week and NAU or no bye week and Portland State? It's the difference between Candace Cameron...

1394662744_478069359_candace-cameron-zoo

and Kirk Cameron.

2sagrhs.jpg

I'll be mailing my change post haste. Please, put aside your biases and anger and help just make things decent for someone who needs it.

Subway?

That crap turns you into a pedophile. 

Why is RV trying to bring a bunch of pedophiles to UNT? 

That's a fireable offense right there.  

• Upvote 1

Picking up donuts this morning i usually tell her to keep the change, but today I took it. Because - Better Sandwich, Better Tomorrow!

Bravo kind sir!  This is a great example of the type of things this campaign needs.  If we all do this for a couple of days we should be able to reach our goal.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 1

I'm very excited to see how everyone has embraced the crowdfund campaign. And, I apologize for not updating things yesterday... The world was surprised by the early arrival (two weeks ahead of schedule) of little Quoner, Jr. 8 pounds, 4 ounces; baby and family are both doing wonderfully. 

Now then... We received a mockup of what the gift cards could look like:

9k=Option A: CAROUSEL-1.jpg

Option B: CAROUSEL-1.jpg

Option C: CAROUSEL-1.jpg

Option D: CAROUSEL-1.jpg

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a green-themed option available. But, I'd like to put these options to the group and let everyone discuss and decide which type of gift card to buy for Rick V. 

Personally, I'd go with Option D. The text helps reinforce the 'strive for more' message of the card, and the exclamation point is a built-in challenge/call to action. My least favorite choice is Option A, which looks like a flower field of poorly drawn red lollipop dildos planted on a planet with an atmosphere made up of cardboard. 

If you plan on contributing at least two cents this Saturday, then I'd love to hear your two cents on the matter. 

I'm very excited to see how everyone has embraced the crowdfund campaign. And, I apologize for not updating things yesterday... The world was surprised by the early arrival (two weeks ahead of schedule) of little Quoner, Jr. 8 pounds, 4 ounces; baby and family are both doing wonderfully. 

Now then... We received a mockup of what the gift cards could look like:

9k=Option A: CAROUSEL-1.jpg

Option B: CAROUSEL-1.jpg

Option C: CAROUSEL-1.jpg

Option D: CAROUSEL-1.jpg

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a green-themed option available. But, I'd like to put these options to the group and let everyone discuss and decide which type of gift card to buy for Rick V. 

Personally, I'd go with Option D. The text helps reinforce the 'strive for more' message of the card, and the exclamation point is a built-in challenge/call to action. My least favorite choice is Option A, which looks like a flower field of poorly drawn red lollipop dildos planted on a planet with an atmosphere made up of cardboard. 

If you plan on contributing at least two cents this Saturday, then I'd love to hear your two cents on the matter. 

Out of the options above, I think I would go with Option D, however I wish they had the words "Superior Sandwiches" on it.  Just as a friendly reminder why Which Wich is better than the place that "is so bad must remain unmentioned."

I think not having one with Green is a good thing - I am quite certain it wouldn't be Kelley.

• Upvote 2

Remember TTG, we're talking about Rick Villareal, a dude who thought we needed to spell out "North Texas" on our helmets so that the world would know who we are.  
Better go with option B or C.  I do like the little red bow on option C, indicating that he's loved enough by this fan base that we would gift him with this sandwich.
If this was for McCarney, I would say B, since it's more of a Classic style.

• Upvote 5

While I am no fan of Jimmy Johns but it is light years better than Subway. 

I was spoiled in New York State with a good mom and pop deli almost every block, where the amazing bread is all delivered from the local Italian or Jewish bakery early in the morning each day. Whether you want it on a Hard Roll, Sub (Italian Bread), Bagel, Challah Bread, Rye, or Pumpernickel. The meats and cheeses are all sliced to order, Boar's Head or Thumann's with maybe a bit Hebrew National sprinkled in, plenty of Land-O-Lakes cheese options. Best of all they load them with shaved or nearly shaved meat, not a single slice folded over that was sliced a week a go in Kansas at a food processing plant. 

Man I am getting hungry, can we order the sandwich from the east coast, I bet RV can throw down a 3 footer easy. 

Looking down the road, CBL and I could lead the charge to get quality sandwiches to the Army game...but let's focus on fixing this problem first. I got $1.15 back from post soccer practice ice cream tonight and demanding it all be in change. It'd be easy to sit up here and wait for the rest of you to make these donations in person on Saturday, but I like to be the change I want to see in the world...so to speak.

UPDATE: Found a dime on the ground and willing to make this an official $1.25 donation because I believe in the direction of this project.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

:slow clap: for everyone here.

#BetterSandwhichBetterTomorrow

I love the #Hit$6 idea. It's a low bar, but it's the first goal. Not the final goal. Ultimately, I want to raise $1400 and poison Tony Benford. But, the first step on a long journey is to buy Rick V. one sandwich, no sides or beverage. And we need to #Hit$6 to make that happen. 

Anything that raises awareness, hashtag it away. 

A penny saved is a penny earned but in this case....

#apennysavedbuysRVasandwhich

i like using the #hit$6 as well for this endevor, but I don't want anyone to confuse it with 6 wins (though after last week I really can't imagine anyone that roots for the Kelley boys still believes that's even possible). 

I am really excited to be able to drop some coins on this Saturday. 

#lookingongroundforrv

• Upvote 2

UPDATE: Found a dime on the ground and willing to make this an official $1.25 donation because I believe in the direction of this project.

This is fantastic. I know that you're busy with a newborn baby now, and won't be in attendance on Saturday. So, I went ahead and put another $1.25 in the box on your behalf. I expect you will reimburse me at your earliest opportunity.

The good news is that, combined with my initial 81 cents... The crowdfunding effort currently stands at:

$2.06

Obviously, this is very exciting. We're less than $4 away from hitting our first level goal, and the donation box hasn't even left my house yet! 

I don't want to get ahead of things... But, it looks very likely that we'll be mailing Rick V. the means to buy an inspirational sandwich. 

This is fantastic. I know that you're busy with a newborn baby now, and won't be in attendance on Saturday. So, I went ahead and put another $1.25 in the box on your behalf. I expect you will reimburse me at your earliest opportunity.

The good news is that, combined with my initial 81 cents... The crowdfunding effort currently stands at:

$2.06

Obviously, this is very exciting. We're less than $4 away from hitting our first level goal, and the donation box hasn't even left my house yet! 

I don't want to get ahead of things... But, it looks very likely that we'll be mailing Rick V. the means to buy an inspirational sandwich. 

I'd like to raise an issue that is all too common around this program - presentation, or, as you jerks have done your best to turn into a punchline, PAGEANTRY. We're not sending RV some discrete Transexual Bazaar of Lady Boys and smooth, silky bottoms that need to not raise any eyebrows when Junior gets the mail. We're sending him the finest sandwich possible based on a lazy and relatively narrow set of criteria - and we need to act like it. You think Katz's deli just slaps a salami on the counter and says whatever - take it? Now look, I know Katz is in New York City, has a lot of bandwagon fans and can be a chore for a tourist, but they have a storied history of success and should be seen as an example. Why not a GMG-branded card holder, hand drawn envelope art or some other outside the box ideas I'm sure the artsy fartsy types would love to put together between trips to the welfare office? What good is an award winning art department when you're handing R FREAKIN' V a brown paper bag full of wadded napkins and a plastic card? FIX THE PROBLEM, TTG. As the largest donor of record on this project, I demand better - as should all of you.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I'd like to raise an issue that is all too common around this program - presentation, or, as you jerks have done your best to turn into a punchline, PAGEANTRY.

FIX THE PROBLEM, TTG. As the largest donor of record on this project, I demand better - as should all of you.

This is a fair point. My original plan was just to mail the gift card to RV. 

BUT, if the Athletics Department wants to make a show of things and really publicize our efforts to show Rick a better sandwich option... I would be willing to do a special presentation ceremony at halftime of our next game, October 10th against Portland State. It's homecoming, so I'm not sure if they have anything planned for that game or not. 

In the interest of pageantry and making everyone happy, I would also be willing to wear a full band uniform, complete with plumed hat, during the presentation ceremony. If, of course, a uniform can be provided for me. 

The fact is, we don't have a lot of donors on this project, and certainly not at the level of financial commitment you've shown. I definitely don't want to alienate you, and if that means a big, showy halftime presentation ceremony in full band uniform? Well, I'm up for it if the Athletics Department folks are. 

Well, on the elevator at work this week (not trying to steal your thunder Quoner, but...) I dropped a dime (on the floor, not to the Dallas policeman next to me).  I tried to pick it up, then dropped it again, so I figure, what the hell, that's $.20 for the cause.  Then I got to the vending machine, with all the quarters I had taken for "using the correct change" for a soft drink.  Turned out it wouldn't take quarters, had to use 2 dollar bills, then got $.75 back.  So, with the dime dropped twice, and the unexpected change from the vending machine, I'm pledging $.95.  Why all this generosity you ask?  Well, the wife came back over to where I was watching Channel 13, and she had responded to the "North Texas Giving Day" or whatever they call it, by donating $25 each to Channel 13 and the North Texas Food Bank, so I figured, I'd go ahead and make my pledge tonight.  And, in a way, isn't this a North Texas food bank?  I like to think so.

• Upvote 4

New York Sub Hub isn't a sandwich...

It's a religious experience.

Sir, with all due respect, worship the condiments of your choice in the privacy of your own home, but we are a public university which neither endorses nor suppresses any one religious combination of bread, meat, and vegetables.  Won't somebody please think of the flatbread?

Edit:  Which brings to mind the real question, @TheTastyGreek:  How the hell is it that you're not backing the presentation of a delicious gyro in this campaign?

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

Ok I am officially committing to donate $0.15 to this project. I know that isn't a lot of money but I'm one of those artsy-fartsy types and you know we're all broke. (Ignore the BMW I drive, I probably borrowed it from an SMU grad anyway.)

Since my ability to give is limited though, I wanted to chose a significant number so this $0.15 symbolizes this is the 15th year for RV needing a Better Sandwich, Better Tomorrow at North Texas. One cent to represent each year that this ability to see a better tomorrow has clearly been an issue. Again, I apologize for my limited contribution but do appreciate the effort and want to give as much as I can. 

• Upvote 6