Post Game Thoughts

emmitt01

For some reason, I can't give out plus 1's right now, but Plus 1,000. 

I'm really trying to justify another 12 hour round trip, while I haul ass back to the panhandle on 5 hours if sleep to work a 12 hour shift at 6pm tonight. 

But in the end, I know I'll be there Saturday to see friends and get my nuts kicked again. 

• Upvote 3

1) I was REALLY excited about this game.  Came directly from my father's funeral to get there an hour early for warmups.  I just needed my North Texas football fix.  Man was I kicked in the nuts.

2) Dan McCarney is not the answer.  His "toughness" and archaic concepts of offense are simply not applicable in today's game...ask Wisconsin how that ground and pound has worked for them the last few years when they faced teams that spread them out.  Chad Morris came in, saw what he had to work with offensively, and catered the offense to his QB's strengths.  Mac continues to hammer that square peg into that round hole.

3) Please, for the love of God, can we stop with the deluded belief that Chico Canales is the issue?!!  I've said it for years, his hands are tied with the offensive philosophy.  It was confirmed as I walked from the stadium and a former player (played last season) told me as much.  His exact words were that "Chico would run a totally different offense but Mac won't let him".   "But Emmitt, Chico is still at fault because he hasn't brought in a D1 quarterback"...name me one, just one, top quality high school quarterback that wants to come play under Mac's system...I'll wait.  Let me make this fundamentally simple, EVEN IF WE BROUGHT IN THE ILLEGITIMATE CHILD OF CHIP KELLY, GUS MALZAHN AND LANE KIFFIN, MAC WOULD MAKE THEM RUN THE BALL 30 TIMES A GAME.

4) Sat dierctly in front of our university President all game.  He and his wife both questioned whether we have other options at QB.  It really seems he is interested...I pray he's interested enough to clean house.

5) We will not win another game in this SMU series if Mac is the coach.  We won't.  Morris already out recruits him and out coaches him.  The games could get uglier.

6) Unlike what we saw last season I'd like to see Mac put a talented quarterback out there and then let him struggle through the growing pains.  We know what we have in McNulty.  He isn't the answer.  Let's dlgo through the rebuilding year we should have last year.  

7) I am getting sick and tired of this fan base putting faith in this program to finally make good of the promise of improvement, only to have that faith exposed as naïveté.  The students loaded up a ton of buses, the alumni shelled out hard earned money and the crowd did their part.  I don't want RV or Mac to EVER, EVER, EVER get up at another one of these MGC or signing day functions and start chastising or whining to the fan base about how we need to show up more or give more.  The thousands upon thousands of NT students and alumni who will find anthing at all to do next Saturday instead of stepping foot inside Apogee are justified...yeah, I said it!  

8) I will still be out there next Friday night to start my tailgate.  But only because this is MY university.  Not RV's, not Mac's.  I'll be there to enjoy time with fellow masochists because it's tradition by now.  But I have reached the point of less than zero expectations for the season.  

9) Perhaps that was RV's plan all along.  Beat the fight out of all the fans so we just shut up and show up with no dreams of success.  Kinda like when you do an absolutely shitty job of vacuuming so your wife stops asking you to do it.  He is literally cashing a (rather large) check with no requisite responsibility to earn it at this point.

I have to agree with your thoughts on Chico. We saw a pretty decent offense and team in general when he took over as interim for TD. This is Mac's B movie show all the way, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Chico is made the sacrificial lamb in short order.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I recently lost mine unexpectedly and it was pretty tough for a while. Time heals all wounds.

• Upvote 3

Sorry for your loss, @emmitt01.  

This masochist might be out there Friday night too, pending a few logistical things to work out.  I posted a crowd pic in another thread that happens to confirm that President Smatresk was sitting right behind you.  Made for a good Where's Waldo type game, if Smatresk only had on a red/white striped hat.

My hope is that through support, UNT will eventually (hopefully sooner than later) right this ship one way or another, including firings and hirings.  Without our support, we take away means of doing much about it and send us further into the abyss .  Let the drop off of fair-weather-friends show the university that the "fan" base is dissatisfied.  If we the donors go away, it pushes our university further away from being able to make improvements, cutting off our collective noses to spite our faces.

• Upvote 1

Chico is at fault.  He brings in the talent. No doubt about that.  Mac has certain preferences and it is up to the Co ordinator to work around them.  I see plenty of conservative offenses every saturday.  Plenty of run heavy offenses.  This is not new to football. 

Chad morris is supposed to be some offensive genius, but they looked similar to us and were very predictable.  Main difference...Matt davis.  Knew he was gonna run it.  Couldn't stop him.  Matt davis changes teams, we win 30-13...

• Upvote 5

Chico is at fault.  He brings in the talent. No doubt about that.  Mac has certain preferences and it is up to the Co ordinator to work around them.  I see plenty of conservative offenses every saturday.  Plenty of run heavy offenses.  This is not new to football. 

Chad morris is supposed to be some offensive genius, but they looked similar to us and were very predictable.  Main difference...Matt davis.  Knew he was gonna run it.  Couldn't stop him.  Matt davis changes teams, we win 30-13...

Yes, but most of those successful conservative offenses are at places like Alabama, where they restock their trenches and RB's with the best players in the country year after year. They can get by with bus drivers. Can we or any other G5 team in the country consistently win without QB wizardry of some sort? I doubt it. 

Absolutely awful performance by everyone from the players to the coaches; the season is lost. 

Welcome to the forums.  The way I see it, either you're a troll or you have a small bladder that prevented you from seeing anything other than the offensive performance.  Defense and special teams weren't too bad.  Either way, welcome. 

• Upvote 2

Yes, but most of those successful conservative offenses are at places like Alabama, where they restock their trenches and RB's with the best players in the country year after year. They can get by with bus drivers. Can we or any other G5 team in the country consistently win without QB wizardry of some sort? I doubt it. 

Those bus drivers you speak of would light it up in CUSA... perspective.

Posted this in another Forum but

1) I had no idea about Wilson being Injured, what was his Injury?

2) Kenny Buyers.....This F'in sucks with him being injured and not being able to lead this inexperienced defensive team on the field. Medical Redshirt??

3) I thought our Defense played lights out!! They did until they tired out late into the game because our Offense and their High Octane offense couldn't control the ball.

4) Brett Vitto's McNulty Bandwagon is in flames and rolling lifelessly across the prairie soil and it would of been fitting if we would of played an Indian mascot this week. No surprise to me, he played F'in awful and maybe even worse than he did last year. How about the time he was about to get sacked and he cowered and fumbled the ball right before he was about to get sack??? Threw for only 128 yards on an absolutely awful percentage of less than 50% with two interceptions and of course the fumble I previously mentioned. DW would of been thrown on the bench never to return again. If Coach Mac hates Smith, thats ok but please get McNulty's ass out from under center and PLEASE put someone else in there. Hell I'll take Means, he knows the playbook....Right?

4) Eric Keena was awesome and helped keep SMU's offense at bay due to pinning them inside their 20 several times

5) Our Youngsters showed some flashes that gets me excited for years to come. Jordan Murray looks like a monster out there and yes, he made some mistakes but that what we are going to get with a Freshman Tackle.

• Upvote 1

not really.  I'm not talking about the top schools.  There are plenty of conservative offenses out there.  Maybe only teams like bama, wisc, auburn, etc can win a ship or be top ten doing it, but we just need 7 wins each year.

SMU was conservative last night.  Difference is Matt davis.  His throwing is not good.  SMU turned the ball over and had plenty of miscues.  They had matt davis and his running ability.  Biggest difference.  Playmaker.  Put matt davis in our exact same offense, same playcalls...we win by over 20.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I generally pride myself for not overreacting and try to keep from posting after bad losses..

1. I love ya Mac, but you and Chico are done. It is absolutely inexcusable to not have a legit D1 QB on the roster at this point. We have had 1 (Thompson for 1 year) and then what? Other teams can rotate QB prospects through, why cant we? If it is because of the style, then the game has passed you by and you must be replaced. If it is not being able to recruit, then the game has passed you by and you need to be replaced. 

2. Fans looked and sounded great on TV, where is this for all gamedays? That is the problem I have with all of this. Fan apathy makes it OK just to get up for SMU and not for the rest of our schedule?

3. Kids played hard, but we still take horrible angles and our secondary (while young) is PI/deep TD waiting to happen. We wont face as bad of an passing QB as we did tonight for a bit.

4. Impressed with our DL. As bad as it was when Mac got here, they are a much better unit on the team.

5. Best unit on our team is ST and it is not even really close.

Bonus thing I heard from a popped collar SMU guy

"Hey, you're too pretty to go to UNT.  Can I have your number?  Do you want to come have a drink with me after the game?"

Dude.  You should have gone for it, his dad might have money and you're not getting any younger...

___________________________ (This line is here because I hate how the new forum merges posts)

Emmitt, I am very sorry for your lose.  I know it's hard to imagine now, but time heals all wounds.  There will be a point where you can look fondly back on all the good times without feeling hollowed out, though you'll never really stop missing your loved one.

I also think this is a perfect example of why MG football means so much to some.   Yes, in the face of death it's easy to consider it trivial, but the truth is that it's an escape.  Everyone needs one or you slowly go mad.  Yes, it's bread and circuses but it's OUR bread and circus.

I think that is why we get so rabid about the program floundering while no one in authority seems to notice.  I know some people only really care about the tailgate, and I don't even blame them.  That is there circus, let them enjoy the elephants.  But if you are like me, and I expect Emmitt, the game itself is our escape.  Going out and expending so much time, thought and energy into what in the cosmic scale is a trivial game really keeps us sane.

Edited by Cerebus
I was beaten and I apologize. I expect more of myself.

Emmitt, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. 

3) Please, for the love of God, can we stop with the deluded belief that Chico Canales is the issue?!!  I've said it for years, his hands are tied with the offensive philosophy.  It was confirmed as I walked from the stadium and a former player (played last season) told me as much.  His exact words were that "Chico would run a totally different offense but Mac won't let him".   "But Emmitt, Chico is still at fault because he hasn't brought in a D1 quarterback"...name me one, just one, top quality high school quarterback that wants to come play under Mac's system...I'll wait.  Let me make this fundamentally simple, EVEN IF WE BROUGHT IN THE ILLEGITIMATE CHILD OF CHIP KELLY, GUS MALZAHN AND LANE KIFFIN, MAC WOULD MAKE THEM RUN THE BALL 30 TIMES A GAME.

Totally agree. Coach Mac has been here five years, "HE'S GOT LOTS OF SKINS ON THE WALL", with just about any other coach out there there should be a line QB candidates running from his office to out in the parking lot. But there isn't. So what does that say about his reputation outside the secure confines of the UNT athletic department.

6) Unlike what we saw last season I'd like to see Mac put a talented quarterback out there and then let him struggle through the growing pains.  We know what we have in McNulty.  He isn't the answer.  Let's go through the rebuilding year we should have last year.  

Does anyone remember that Scott Hall started as a true freshman? Smith has college experience. In theory, his struggles would be much less and fewer than Scott Hall's. 

8) I will still be out there next Friday night to start my tailgate.  But only because this is MY university.  Not RV's, not Mac's.  I'll be there to enjoy time with fellow masochists because it's tradition by now.  But I have reached the point of less than zero expectations for the season.  

I have said this for years to all of those who want to throw up there hands and not show up any longer. YOU'RE GIVING AWAY YOUR SCHOOL BY DOING THAT.  Keep signing up for the MGC, buy season tickets and SHOW UP AND MAKE RV AND ANYONE ELSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MESS AS MISERABLE AS POSSIBLE.

DONE MAKE ME THE ONLY ONE WHO EVER STOOD UP AT AN ATHLETIC EVENT AND EXPRESSED (LOUDLY) MY FRUSTRATION ABOUT OUR SITUATION.

• Upvote 2