MGB: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to SMU

Brett Vito

"Could be in trouble offensively", Brett? Talk about a gift for understatement. 

On the positive side... You can safely hop off a certain bandwagon, as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. 

As a personal aside, I'm sorry our team embarrassed in front of your friends and frenemies in ink-stained wretch land. Someday, we'll all learn never to believe in anything, ever. 

Spot on Vito. McNulty may be a great leader and good in practice, but if he plays like this next week and is not pulled at half time, then we will be screwed. We can not stick with a guy that can not get the job done. Even if Smith only knows 20 plays, he must play. Being good in practice but sucking on game day will not cut it. So, Lil Mac I hope the cobwebs are off and we see a different, more confident you against Rice.

• Upvote 2

Spot on Vito. McNulty may be a great leader and good in practice, but if he plays like this next week and is not pulled at half time, then we will be screwed. We can not stick with a guy that can not get the job done. Even if Smith only knows 20 plays, he must play. Being good in practice but sucking on game day will not cut it. So, Lil Mac I hope the cobwebs are off and we see a different, more confident you against Rice.

Of course we'll have to go through Greer before we even have a chance to get to Smith. I say burn the playbook, because ad-libbing it out there couldn't possibly turn out worse.

• Upvote 1

Of course we'll have to go through Greer before we even have a chance to get to Smith. I say burn the playbook, because ad-libbing it out there couldn't possibly turn out worse.

We all saw what a quarterback with talent can do on his own when a defense does their job. Davis singlehandedly won that game for SMU with his running ability. When AMac was pressured, what did he do? Overthrew, underthrew or threw into double overage. No running ability, whatsoever. He is exposed and will continue to be exposed because it was obvious smu did not respect the passing game, or McNulty's ability to make a play. Rice will do the same thing and so will every other team we play. Yes, it is going to be a long year, but maybe one that is needed so that heads can role. It is the only thing that will effect change at UNT.

• Upvote 3

1) I had no idea about Wilson being Injured, what was his Injury?

2) Kenny Buyers.....This F'in sucks with him being injured and not being able to lead this inexperienced defensive team on the field. Medical Redshirt??

3) I thought our Defense played lights out!! They did until they tired out late into the game because our Offense and their High Octane offense couldn't control the ball.

4) Brett Vitto's McNulty Bandwagon is in flames and rolling lifelessly across the prairie soil and it would of been fitting if we would of played an Indian mascot this week. No surprise to me, he played F'in awful and maybe even worse than he did last year. How about the time he was about to get sacked and he cowered and fumbled the ball right before he was about to get sack??? Threw for only 128 yards on an absolutely awful percentage of less than 50% with two interceptions and of course the fumble I previously mentioned. DW would of been thrown on the bench never to return again. If Coach Mac hates Smith, thats ok but please get McNulty's ass out from under center and PLEASE put someone else in there. Hell I'll take Means, he knows the playbook....Right?

4) Eric Keena was awesome and helped keep SMU's offense at bay due to pinning them inside their 20 several times

5) Our Youngsters showed some flashes that gets me excited for years to come. Jordan Murray looks like a monster out there and yes, he made some mistakes but that what we are going to get with a Freshman Tackle.

• Upvote 1

1) I had no idea about Wilson being Injured, what was his Injury?

2) Kenny Buyers.....This F'in sucks with him being injured and not being able to lead this inexperienced defensive team on the field. Medical Redshirt??

3) I thought our Defense played lights out!! They did until they tired out late into the game because our Offense and their High Octane offense couldn't control the ball.

4) Brett Vitto's McNulty Bandwagon is in flames and rolling lifelessly across the prairie soil and it would of been fitting if we would of played an Indian mascot this week. No surprise to me, he played F'in awful and maybe even worse than he did last year. How about the time he was about to get sacked and he cowered and fumbled the ball right before he was about to get sack??? Threw for only 128 yards on an absolutely awful percentage of less than 50% with two interceptions and of course the fumble I previously mentioned. DW would of been thrown on the bench never to return again. If Coach Mac hates Smith, thats ok but please get McNulty's ass out from under center and PLEASE put someone else in there. Hell I'll take Means, he knows the playbook....Right?

4) Eric Keena was awesome and helped keep SMU's offense at bay due to pinning them inside their 20 several times

5) Our Youngsters showed some flashes that gets me excited for years to come. Jordan Murray looks like a monster out there and yes, he made some mistakes but that what we are going to get with a Freshman Tackle.

For those curious about a potential Buyers 6th year next year, let's look at it. To get a 6th year you have to be able to prove that 2 out of your first 5 years were lost due to injury. This year clearly qualifies as one. Buyers first 4 years were from 2011-2014. He played 11 games as a backup in 2012, played the whole year in 2013, and started the whole year in 2014. 2011 is where that possibility comes into play. I don't know much about that season, but I believe that's the year he started off at Air Force and transferred here. 

If this season's turns south quick I think we'll go with Smith. Let's say we were winning with Mcnulty and had to not blow that, then we'd get with Greer to try and preserve that. If we're just straight-up losing then there's really no incentive to go with Greer over Smith. Kind've like how we went with Dajon before our actual #2 (at the time) Mcnulty last year. Really doubt that change alone can solve our problem here.

• Upvote 2

Brett, some of us (ok, me) have been saying this schedule is a huge deal since spring. It is more probable than not that this team enters the homecoming game on UT-OU weekend against a good FCS team with an 0-4 record.

If that happens, you have to be concerned about this team quitting on their coaches. 

This would have been an amazingly tough schedule for the 2013 Mean Green, who would have had a very hard time finishing above .500.

For the current version of the Mean Green (a team with no FBS QB on the roster), it's simply an exercise in masochism, and something that could lead to 2 or less victories this season.

Early results tend to indicate that EVERY team on UNT's schedule in conference play has greatly improved, while UNT has taken a step back. 

This crap show of a schedule has the possibility of being the straw that breaks the back and leads to a winless season for the Mean Green

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For those curious about a potential Buyers 6th year next year, let's look at it. To get a 6th year you have to be able to prove that 2 out of your first 5 years were lost due to injury. This year clearly qualifies as one. Buyers first 4 years were from 2011-2014. He played 11 games as a backup in 2012, played the whole year in 2013, and started the whole year in 2014. 2011 is where that possibility comes into play. I don't know much about that season, but I believe that's the year he started off at Air Force and transferred here. 

jim carrey animated GIF

• Upvote 1

Our new WRs were non existent.  Goree caught one short ball and then immediately proceeded to fumble.  Also, toward the end of the game, McNulty is scrambling for his life, throws a pass about 25 yards downfield  and the ball passes through Goree's hands into the waiting hands of the defender for an interception.  These two plays will not look good in the film room and may impact his opportunities in the future based on how this staff hates negative plays.

Not sure if I recall Thompson even being targeted.

If these two are as good as advertised, they should be getting open a lot more often and having more of an impact on the game.

Not sure where to put this, and I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll just throw it here:

Does anyone know Bean's 40 time?   My guess is somewhere near 5-flat.   Dude was slow as molasses and easily-juked.  Somehow, he led the team in tackles, but when one on one in space VS Davis or any of their RB's not named Line, he was terrible.  That's worrisome because Jackson is just as deadly on busted plays, and Rice's OL/RB's are much, much better than SMU's.

**Bonus coverage**

And, since I'm in a complaining mood today:
To the gentleman sitting in section122, row 10 ~seat3 or 4, if you're reading this, you need to get your wife/woman in check... as in checked-into an AA program.  If the football wasn't deplorable enough, listening to your drunk wife slur-babble endlessly nearly forced me to wrap my clear plastic bag around my head in an attempt to end it all.  I don't know how you do it sir.  My sincerest apologies.

• Upvote 1

Blake Bean got exposed in space all night. He moves like a mike, but is playing a Sam or will.  He wasn't fast enough to set the edge on the outside run plays or spy the qb on scrambles. When the upperclass needed a big play it seemed like they found him under equipped on the edge or in space. 

Only other D gripe was a lack of pressure on some third downs but I have hope there. 

Too many things to fix on O. 

Special teams  renewed my faith in humanity. 

• Upvote 5

Blake Bean got exposed in space all night. He moves like a mike, but is playing a Sam or will.  He wasn't fast enough to set the edge on the outside run plays or spy the qb on scrambles. When the upperclass needed a big play it seemed like they found him under equipped on the edge or in space. 

Only other D gripe was a lack of pressure on some third downs but I have hope there. 

Too many things to fix on O. 

Special teams  renewed my faith in humanity. 

good post

Rick

• Upvote 1