A great opportunity was lost today

Harry

We stopped SMU on their initial drive with great defensive effort on their home turf.  A snap over their punters head and we have the ball in scoring position.  We run THREE straight running plays right up the middle and are forced to take a field goal.

We all knew at that moment we were in trouble. We knew at that moment the "Uptempo" talk was talk and we were the same team with the same coaching mentality of conservative offense, put a heavy load on our defense and hope the other team makes more mistakes and turnovers.  It's defeatist, and as a fan it is extremely painful to watch.

Again, much like UT last year, we take an OPENING game which offers a HUGE opportunity for this college and this fan base, and treat it like it was just another ho-hum day at the office.  News Flash -- this is a very important game to us.  We live in the same community as SMU -- we recruit the same players.  I'm sorry, I'm not buying the "we have 90% left of the season left" without emphasizing how big a lost opportunity this was.  We had a chance to beat SMU twice consecutively for the first time in our history.  We had a chance to capture the imagination of many potential season ticket purchasing fans.  We blew it.

A lot of talk about this game centers around McNulty and it really shouldn't.  McNulty is the same player, the same kid he was last season and the season before.  McNulty is a good kid, a good person and works his ass off.  This is not his fault.  He should not have been placed in this position in the first place.  I blame this coaching staff for not being able to a). identify quarterback prospects and b). develop quarterback prospects.  Look at our track record and it speaks for itself. 

I really wish we would quit blaming the players for things like turnovers and various and sundry etc after these losses.  How about asking, did you put them in a position to win?  Did you take advantage of opportunities?  Were you aggressively trying to make things happen or did you play it safe hoping that the opponent would make mistakes?  Did you evaluate and develop the right players needed to position the program going forward?  These are some of the questions I would like answers to.

I want to thank the defense, who again get burdened in ANOTHER game, with the sole responsibility of a win.  They hung tough and played their hearts out.  They were given no help.  It is frankly PAINFUL to watch them on the field all game again. 

I also felt our special teams played well.

A bright spot for me was there were a good amount of young players and new faces that played well.  That gives us some semblance of hope.

I want to thank our fans, student alumni for showing up in good numbers and cheering loudly for UNT.  I find it remarkable that after a decade of losing and most recently a 4-8 season we can still dig deep enough in a dry well to have that type of showing and spirit.  It is one of the signs that continues to give me optimism for the future. 

I salute SMU.  The Boulevard was fun and all of the SMU fans I came in contact with were extremely hospitable.  You have hired a great coach and one that will get your program going in the right direction quickly.  I sincerely hope that this series will continue because I think it helps both schools.

A lot of air in the balloon was let out today.  The disappointment seen on the faces of the fans exiting the game in my section was evident.  The sad faces of the many students who rode in busses to the game was worse.  What did they talk about on the long drive home?  What perception do they now have regarding UNT athletics?  How motivated will they be to attend our home opener?  With Morris now firmly in the drivers seat will we again have optimism heading into these games with SMU?  He will only get better as time goes on and he is able to recruit his players.

We have so many positive things going on at UNT, that I keep telling myself to be patient because it HAS to happen eventually.  After games like tonight, it seems like it is still a long way away. GMG

Edited by Harry

We stopped SMU on their initial drive with great defensive effort on their home turf.  A snap over their punters head and we have the ball in scoring position.  We run THREE straight running plays right up the middle and are forced to take a field goal.

We all knew at that moment we were in trouble. We knew at that moment the "Uptempo" talk was talk and we were the same team with the same coaching mentality of conservative offense, put a heavy load on our defense and hope the other team makes more mistakes and turnovers.  It's defeatist, and as a fan it is extremely painful to watch.

Again, much like UT last year, we take an OPENING game which offers a HUGE opportunity for this college and this fan base, and treat it like it was just another ho-hum day at the office.  News Flash -- this is a very important game to us.  We live in the same community as SMU -- we recruit the same players.  I'm sorry, I'm not buying the "we have 90% left of the season left" without emphasizing how big a lost opportunity this was.  We had a chance to beat SMU twice consecutively for the first time in our history.  We had a chance to capture the imagination of many potential season ticket purchasing fans.  We blew it.

A lot of talk about this game centers around McNulty and it really shouldn't.  McNulty is the same player, the same kid he was last season and the season before.  McNulty is a good kid, a good person and works his ass off.  This is not his fault.  He should not have been placed in this position in the first place.  I blame this coaching staff for not being able to a). identify quarterback prospects and b). develop quarterback prospects.  Look at our track record and it speaks for itself. 

I really wish we would quit blaming the players for things like turnovers and various and sundry etc after these losses.  How about asking, did you put them in a position to win?  Did you take advantage of opportunities?  Were you aggressively trying to make things happen or did you play it safe hoping that the opponent would make mistakes?  Did you evaluate and develop the right players needed to position the program going forward?  These are some of the questions I would like answers to.

I want to thank the defense, who again get burdened in ANOTHER game, with the sole responsibility of a win.  They hung tough and played their hearts out.  They were given no help.  It is frankly PAINFUL to watch them on the field all game again. 

A bright spot for me was there were a good amount of young players and new faces that played well.  That gives us some semblance of hope.

I want to thank our fans, student alumni for showing up in good numbers and cheering loudly for UNT.  I find it remarkable that after a decade of losing and most recently a 4-8 season we can still dig deep enough in a dry well to have that type of showing and spirit.  It is one of the signs that continues to give me optimism for the future. 

I salute SMU.  The Boulevard was fun and all of the SMU fans I came in contact with were extremely hospitable.  You have hired a great coach and one that will get your program going in the right direction quickly.  I sincerely hope that this series will continue because I think it helps both schools.

A lot of air in the balloon was let out today.  The disappointment seen on the faces of the fans exiting the game in my section was evident.  The sad faces of the many students who rode in busses to the game was worse.  What did they talk about on the long drive home?  What perception do they now have regarding UNT athletics?  How motivated will they be to attend our home opener?  With Morris now firmly in the drivers seat will we again have optimism heading into these games with SMU?  He will only get better as time goes on and he is able to recruit his players.

We have so many positive things going on at UNT, that I keep telling myself to be patient because it HAS to happen eventually.  After games like tonight, it seems like it is still a long way away. GMG

Well, you make a real good point; except that, as I recall, we got three turnovers early, for a total of 6 points.  How disheartening that must be for the special teams and defensive players who put our offense in such a good position.  The playcalling just gives ultraconservatism a bad name.

• Upvote 5

King DL1, Cerebus, Me, Mad Dog, now Harry... 

I think we just need a quick lament/firing demand from Evan, and we can punch every square on the bingo card. 

AND IT'S ONLY WEEK 1*!!!

* - It's actually week 2 everywhere but Massachusetts, but roll with the fiction. 

Well, put Harry. It's easy to bash players, but they're putting their bodies on the line for our entertainment. The people who run the program and make these decisions to put players in positions where they are doomed to fail are the ones who should be held accountable. I just can't for the life of me figure out why this staff continues to try and stuff a square peg into a round hole? Why and where is the motivation for this? It just makes zero sense to me. The goal is the win or is it to prove something to someone?

There were definitely positives out there today (defense & special teams). In the end, you have to put points on the board to win and one unit is solely responsible for doing that......

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

One, it feels like you've posted that message way too many times since we've known each other.

Two, it will happen. Don't know when but it will. Too much going for this university and program. It may take a change of leadership but it will happen. I don't mean HOD bowl happen but big things. And I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it when it does. 

Quick edit here- 

Once upon a time Idaho dominated Boise State, Baylor was the laughingstock of the Big 12 (and college football), LSU lost to UAB at home, Northwestern had the longest losing streak ever in FBS, Oregon sucked, NIU went two years without winning a game, and on and on. 

North Texas becoming consistently good is less far-fetched than all of those. We just need a damn quarterback. And leadership. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 4

King DL1, Cerebus, Me, Mad Dog, now Harry... 

I think we just need a quick lament/firing demand from Evan, and we can punch every square on the bingo card.

You could add me to the list too, except I punched my bingo card two years ago. I found better things to waste my time, or so I thought. I took my family to this game, hoping for a big win against a school I can't stand. Instead I saw a high school game.

• Upvote 2

Agreed on all points. Tonight was a joke. And the joke is on us to continue to support this crap, whether it's financially, invested time, buying the gear, etc. We NEED accountability in all aspects and it's NOT there. That's the problem. Charlie Strong feels the pressure 12 games in and made a move. We aren't Texas but our offense has been and issue since day 1 of McCarney. Where is the pressure going to come from? 

• Upvote 2

Agreed on all points. Tonight was a joke. And the joke is on us to continue to support this crap, whether it's financially, invested time, buying the gear, etc. We NEED accountability in all aspects and it's NOT there. That's the problem. Charlie Strong feels the pressure 12 games in and made a move. We aren't Texas but our offense has been and issue since day 1 of McCarney. Where is the pressure going to come from? 

Vito?

Don't go to the games. I've made my mind up. I'll go to HC every year bc it is my alma mater. Tonight was the last straw for me until changes are made. I'm calling the school Monday and I'm also having them discontinue my auto withdrawal donations. The players are where our interest lie. The current players want to win. The former players wanted to win. So, I'm doing my part (and sorry RV, my part isn't six 0's) to ensure the future players do win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't go to the games. I've made my mind up. I'll go to HC every year bc it is my alma mater. Tonight was the last straw for me until changes are made. I'm calling the school Monday and I'm also having them discontinue my auto withdrawal donations. The players are where our interest lie. The current players want to win. The former players wanted to win. So, I'm doing my part (and sorry RV, my part isn't six 0's) to ensure the future players do win. 

I'd rethink that strategy. A better idea would be to write a well-thought out letter to the President. In fact a better idea is to give this a couple more games and let it play out and then write the letter. I don't have a problem with your frustration, but executing that plan now looks knee-jerking. Do it a little later in the season and your demand for change carries a little more weight. Just my .02.

• Upvote 2

Haha, knee jerk? Really? What will almost be a without a doubt of uncertainty a losing season making it 4 out of 5 losing seasons is knee jerk? 

I'm done. The almighty Portland State Vikings will be my only game this season after tonight. 

I already have a letter saved in my documents. All it needs is a date attached to it.

This regime is officially a joke. We are seriously looking at 3-9. And that might be slightly generous. This is year 5, folks. Not year 1. 

I gave up on this coaching staff and coach Mac....... We almost packed Ford stadium with GREEN, we were loud and stayed until the end of the game!! Me and 10 other recent graduates (Friends) have not missed any home game since Apogee was opened and we have been giving donations since our Freshman year which was 2009 .......  We did our part as fans!! That is it. Sorry 

We decided to not go to any of the games again until this bull shit is fixed..... So frustrating!!!! 

Go North Texas..

I gave up on this coaching staff and coach Mac....... We almost packed Ford stadium with GREEN, we were loud and stayed until the end of the game!! Me and 10 other recent graduates (Friends) have not missed any home game since Apogee was opened and we have been giving donations since our Freshman year which was 2009 .......  We did our part as fans!! That is it. Sorry 

We decided to not go to any of the games again until this bull shit is fixed..... So frustrating!!!! 

Go North Texas..

True. Solid numbers to make a 60/40 SMU/UNT crowd. For a 4-8 team to travel that well was kinda cool.

Make sure to email your AD if you feel like a coaching change should happen. Same thing happened with smoo. It finally became evident that the coach was not right and the money providers weren't going to support with him at the helm.

• Upvote 3

Hi, I'm Malonish, I'm just here to make sure you don't exaggerate the amount of fans you had from my viewpoint. Cool. I'll go back to spending way too much time on yalls board.

Haha, mainly in jest bud.

Hi Malonish! We must be related. +1'd

I get bored, get on boards :D

Obviously I'm happy we won but you guys need a new offensive mind. Get on the interweb tubes and voice displeasure at your admin. My friend went to UNT so tangentially I want you guys to get better. If two 6+ win teams are battling for the Safeway Bowl, that's good attention for both teams which means more $$$.

Edited by malonish
  • Upvote 6

What people really need to realize is that "it" will NEVER happen with the current AD running the show. 

Never.

How do we know? Because he has been here 14 years and it has never gotten close to happening. Ever.

Until the President and the BOR do more than simply give athletics lip service, we will be the joke we have always been. 

There are a lot of fans that care about this far more than the UNT administration. We have our back and forth on here, but Flyonthewall (and unnamed others) has put his time and money into this athletic department, only to see opportunity after opportunity wasted by this AD and the UNT leadership.

When will there be any semblance of consequences for the leadership of this athletic department? 

Great stuff Harry.  The only thing I question, is the defense being tired.  They certainly looked it, but isn't that the reason that NT plays so many defensive players.  I don't think it was being tired, I think after playing a very good game, they realized that the game was loss with NT's lack of offense and the effort just wasn't there in the fourth quarter.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3