Brett Vito

MJavierSMU

I assume he covers UNT for the Denton paper. He's all alone on an island with his pick. Doesn't he know you don't pick with your heart? But seriously, I'm surprised everyone else picked SMU. 

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/databases/20150910-sportsday-experts-pick-key-week-2-college-football-games-ou-at-tennessee-more.eceo

Vito isn't much of a homer and when it comes to predictions he is t moved by any love towards UNT. If he wrote it he believes it.

• Upvote 1

I just think all of these people saw the 1st half of the SMU game and just assume SMU can hang with/beat anyone.

Eerily familiar to the buildup to UNT's game on 10/5/2013 after playing a great 2.5 quarters @Georgia.   Anyone recall the outcome of that 10/5/13 game (VS a team most predicted UNT to beat)?  I sure do, because I was there scratching my head with many of you.  Major letdown.

• Upvote 3

All of these DFW SWC media want SMU to rise up again, just like they did when June Jones got there. They all look down on UNT, for many obvious reasons, many of which are our own fault. But its fascinating just how much talk that SMU can still generate in this market, while dealing with the pro teams, the Big XII and SEC, and the fact that they have a small fanbase that doesn't relate to anywhere but North Dallas' rich suburbs.

TCU managed to accomplish so much more than SMU because of their financial commitment to being a winner that was complemented greatly by Ft. Worth's support, of which just dwarfs SMU's support from Dallas. Yet, I still feel like to some of the old guard media establishments here in DFW, they act like SMU could actually turn things around to be equals with TCU or Baylor right now. But the little crack that TCU squeezed thru, both in the MWC and winning the Rose Bowl, as well as gaining admittance into a P5 conference, has basically been sealed, especially for a small school like SMU. They have lots of money, no doubt, but really, that and memories of Pony Excess are all they bring to the table.

• Upvote 5

I just think all of these people saw the 1st half of the SMU game and just assume SMU can hang with/beat anyone.

Eerily familiar to the buildup to UNT's game on 10/5/2013 after playing a great 2.5 quarters @Georgia.   Anyone recall the outcome of that 10/5/13 game (VS a team most predicted UNT to beat)?  I sure do, because I was there scratching my head with many of you.  Major letdown.

I agree.  This SMU team will look a lot more tense playing a team they are supposed to beat.  I doubt they take as many risks as they did against baylor.  They knew they had to keep scoring and pull out everything before baylor pulled away.  

• Upvote 1

They were going into this season, and we weren't in the waiting list. But yet magically SMU is soooo much better. They went 1-11 and got obliterated in every game. If we lose, this season is Dodge-level and people need to be held accountable. Losing to a 1-11 team is unacceptable.

.... and still won a game? Impressive!     

Edited by giacfsp
  • Upvote 1