Good McNulty/Bad McNulty

Aldo

Whoa Aldo!   Very nice!  

Although, there were not enough gifs of Harris' go routes coming to complete stops or him coming back 5-10yds for underthrown balls... or way overthrowing Marcus Smith when he finds seams or soft spots in the opponents' zones.  Too many of those.

I'm pulling for McNulty to prove everyone wrong.  
If he's going to start this year, I'm hoping to not see DaMarcus at all... because that would mean McNulty has failed.

• Upvote 4

Although, there were not enough gifs of Harris' go routes coming to complete stops or him coming back 5-10yds for underthrown balls... or way overthrowing Marcus Smith when he finds seams or soft spots in the opponents' zones.  Too many of those.

Very true. It was more about the lack of The Youtubes providing enough opponent highlights. (I'm looking at you Southern Miss, Florida, UTSA. Get a good athletic department already. Unless you're on vine or snapchat). There was definitely Bad McNulty to show from those games, but I could only mention in passing comments.

• Upvote 3

Very nice writeup.

The only thing that gives a me super, duper, extremely small, atom sized ray of hope is the fact AM will not have to look over his shoulder or try to play beyond his capability to prove to Mac he deserves a shot at starting. He was the 3rd QB going into last season. Since last season ended, he was the consensus front runner and won the job going into week 1. He's the undisputed number 1 and will get every opportunity to stay there.  Hopefully, this allows him to focus more on his play and possible improvement.....

• Upvote 2

in the first GIF of BAAAAD McNulty the clip against Rice.  If McNulty steps up and scrambles out to his right he can get to the sticks to keep the drive alive.  Thats what i want to see more of from him this year.  We cant make him what he is not.  Which is a pocket passer.

He is a runner first.  And i say that loosely because he really isnt great at that either.  But keep plays alive with his feet and our receivers can get open  

• Upvote 1

in the first GIF of BAAAAD McNulty the clip against Rice.  If McNulty steps up and scrambles out to his right he can get to the sticks to keep the drive alive.  Thats what i want to see more of from him this year.  We cant make him what he is not.  Which is a pocket passer.

He is a runner first.  And i say that loosely because he really isnt great at that either.  But keep plays alive with his feet and our receivers can get open  

He's not an agile runner by any means, but he can be sneaky.

He could have taken off, but in his eyes, he had an easy first down pass. We don't want AM to have the mentality to take off at the first sign of distress.

But you bring up a good point. McNulty can shoot through a hole, and where he doesn't have to create space for himself.

• Upvote 2

honestly it does no good to get open deep he cant throw it that far.  But the receiver does have the advantage to an under thrown ball IF he see's that it is under thrown first.

He's not an agile runner by any means, but he can be sneaky.

He could have taken off, but in his eyes, he had an easy first down pass. We don't want AM to have the mentality to take off at the first sign of distress.

But you bring up a good point. McNulty can shoot through a hole, and where he doesn't have to create space for himself.

Maybe not take off on every play.. But it was 3rd and 4 on that play and there is plenty of room for him to get the 4 needed plus the top side receiver could have blocked the corner.  Honestly his legs may have a higher percentage of getting the short yardage than his arm

• Upvote 1

mcnulty was hurt in the first half of the rice game.  That rib injury lingered until the last game.  I'm sure that affected his running and scrambling...pretty sure the playcalling too.

• Upvote 3

mcnulty was hurt in the first half of the rice game.  That rib injury lingered until the last game.  I'm sure that affected his running and scrambling...pretty sure the playcalling too.

Yeah playcalling. Here's what I think is a designed QB draw, since you've got a lineman blocking several yards downfield, and Terrell run blocking as well. O-line didn't help him much that day.

Almost looked like a sack.

ty37aB.gif

• Upvote 1

Final Thoughts

My takeaway here is, if McNulty can improve on his decision-making and hesitance, it could offset deficiencies in playcalling and WR play, but ultimately the coach needs to call better plays, and WRs need to get open.

Agree completely.

Your assessment aligns with my position that until I see a lack of improvement from him, I will choose to believe the word out of camp that the changes made to the offense and a full offseason with a clear leg up on the QB competition bode well for a better McNulty in 2015.

While not an apples to apples comparison, I am reminded of Grandland's article about T. Boykin's improvement from 2013 to 2014

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-preview-tcu-horned-frogs-trevone-boykin-qb-star-heisman-playoff/

Compared to 2013, last year’s attack generated a significant increase in passing plays of at least 20 yards (63, up from 35) and tripled the number of 40-yarders (18, up from six). As a team, the 2014 Frogs averaged 8.0 yards per pass (up from 6.5) and 13.0 yards per completion (up from 11.3), incremental gains that add up to huge yields over the course of 40 attempts per game. Boykin ranked among the top 10 passers nationally in passing plays of at least 20 yards (58), 30 yards (28), and 40 yards (16).

As I said, the comparisons is not completely clean but the new offensive approach being installed hopefully caters to McNulty and the plan to get the ball quickly in the hands of our playmakers.

• Upvote 2

There were naysayers initially about the back shoulder throw until people proved it could be effective. 

The back ankle throw that Canales taught DT, and now AM, will be the wave of the future soon. Impossible to defend.

Of course it also proves impossible to catch at times, but let's not nitpick. 

• Upvote 2

The thing about hesitation/ decisiveness  -- 

You'll notice the first hesitation throw came in the second quarter and the pick where he stared down Carlos came in the 3rd. Figure he got grilled for it and then subsequently came out and tossed a pick. 

I can agree with that, and he needs to shake it off.

But imo if you know the play, why wait for it to develop. Anticipate and throw. Throw it outside where the blocks are developing, not inside, and then blame it on Harris for drifting too far in if you miss the throw. QB rule #1, blame the receiver. 

Another view.

tnm5Og.gif

• Upvote 1

I can agree with that, and he needs to shake it off.

But imo if you know the play, why wait for it to develop. Anticipate and throw. Throw it outside where the blocks are developing, not inside, and then blame it on Harris for drifting too far in if you miss the throw. QB rule #1, blame the receiver. 

Another view.

tnm5Og.gif

db was all over that route.  I'm sure they knew it was coming.  Even with mcnulty staring him down, the way the DB was set up, they were sitting on that play for the second half.

db was all over that route.  I'm sure they knew it was coming.  Even with mcnulty staring him down, the way the DB was set up, they were sitting on that play for the second half.

Yeah you could see from the sideline view that the throw was off. MiniMac was intending to lead him on the route because never saw the DB coming. That's the thing, is that if he *knows* the throw he needs to make (Carlos) he should have dropped back looking right down the middle of the field. That would have frozen the DB just enough to have allowed a quick accurate throw outside. 

Additionally, if he had more heat on that throw, he wouldn't *have* to lead him so far to get it accurate. He could hit him in the chest and squeeze it in the window. 

Carlos' rules tell him to move inside toward the middle of the field. He ran his route correctly. If he just stood there and the guy jumped the route we'd be complaining about Harris not coming toward the ball (and this would be only half-good criticism). It's not a true bubble screen but a shallow cross with "picks" so he will come toward the ball with his route. 

I don't really like this play because it invites Mac to stare down his guy. It's supposed to be a quick hitter and thus at worst be an incompletion (drop) or tackle for short gain. But because we had no true deep threats they sat on it (among other reasons, including film study, pattern reading etc)

• Upvote 1

Yeah you could see from the sideline view that the throw was off. MiniMac was intending to lead him on the route because never saw the DB coming. That's the thing, is that if he *knows* the throw he needs to make (Carlos) he should have dropped back looking right down the middle of the field. That would have frozen the DB just enough to have allowed a quick accurate throw outside. 

I hope he learns 

Carlos' rules tell him to move inside toward the middle of the field. He ran his route correctly. If he just stood there and the guy jumped the route we'd be complaining about Harris not coming toward the ball (and this would be only half-good criticism). It's not a true bubble screen but a shallow cross with "picks" so he will come toward the ball with his route. 

The slow speed at which he comes out of his break and the location of the blocks makes me think he was anticipating to get the ball sooner, which goes back to your point that McNulty needed to get it out quicker and with some more umph.

Anyway, in the end I hope Canales dials up some more creative stuff. The dbs the entire game were sitting on all the routes.

Great writeup.  I hope we can see more of this.  All of last year, I had this theory (purely anecdotal, I never looked at film to support it) that the offense suffered from not taking advantage of the whole field.  It felt like they were working in the first five yards of the line of scrimmage, and targeting the sidelines on comebacks and outs.  They rarely used the deep sidelines, and almost never the intermediate to deep middle third.  If the other guy knows you're not going to attack half the field, it makes it look like they have 18 guys out there. 

The GIF above where McNulty throws the pick is a great example of that.  The defense is all jammed down into the box because there are no deep routes to stretch downfield.  Then, the (mike?) spies the QB, reads 3 step drop, follows AM's eyes and jumps the route.  I'm not sure the inside slot WR blocked the right guy, either, but still...

What say you?  Any validity to this idea on the tape you watched?

Thanks much!

• Upvote 2