How SMU plans to prevent repeat of 'embarrassment' vs. UNT

Harry

UNIVERSITY PARK — Not long after making his debut as SMU’s football coach, Chad Morris discovered a motivational tool in the archives: North Texas 43, SMU 6.

Although Morris was busy with his gig as Clemson’s offensive coordinator last year, he watched the video of that humiliation while devising plans for Saturday’s rematch against North Texas at Ford Stadium.

“I didn’t live it, but I watched it and it was not good,” Morris said Tuesday.

Spoiler alert: North Texas dominated the Mustangs in every phase. SMU surrendered five turnovers, lost its starting quarterback for the season and coach June Jones forever.

Wide receiver Courtland Sutton, who redshirted last season, was struck by his team’s passionless performance.

“I was on the sideline and watching the energy that they [North Texas] had, the drive they had to want to beat us so bad and to see some of my teammates not have that killer instinct that I saw in North Texas,” said Sutton, who caught two touchdown passes last week. “They beat us pretty good. I really think we need to bring the energy that they brought last year so we can match it.”

read more:  http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/columnists/bill-nichols/20150908-nichols-how-smu-s-chad-morris-plans-to-prevent-repeat-of-embarrassment-vs.-north-texas.ece

Edited by Harry