are we recruiting these guys?

I have to respectfully disagree. Assaults on referees in every sport have grown increasingly violent and some have lead to deaths. If people don't understand there will be consequences for their actions then they will continue to behave like savages. While there is national attention they should be made examples of in front of the entire country. Let everyone know Texas won't allow this behavior and do it with severity. 

I guess much has changed in Texas High School football. In early 1990's when I played we respected/feared the coaches. None of the guys I played with would have dreamed to attack an official. However, I don't think it should ruin their lives, but some responsibility and accountability are in order.

• Upvote 2

there would be consequences. The offenders would be out for the season, vilified nationally, and a rightfully so embarrassment to their families.

IF the referee was not hurt, what more do you want done? 

The punishment needs to fit the crime here. 

For all we know they may be being praised by their families, teammates, and classmates for standing up for their team, etc.  You would hope not, but you never know.

I do agree that the punishment should be severe, but left out of the criminal justice system.

http://espn.go.com/moresports/story/_/id/13609876/john-jay-high-school-players-allege-referee-field-incident-used-racial-slurs

This is what the lady mentioned above is refering to. (The ignorance of this racist women isn't worth talking about y'all...) 

People these days think they can do whatever they want, get in trouble, and immediately scream racism to think it covers their actions. 

Throw these kids out of school and file the assault charges. If they lack any accountability then I hope their punishment is severe.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

Bodily injury does not need to occur to be charged with Assault.

If I were in charge of their case, I'd argue they entered into a conspiracy to assault an individual in retaliation of him acting in performance of his job. They did so with premeditation to cause bodily harm. Additionally, I'd argue they used their helmets and equipment as weapons versus a helpless individual. All of this adds aggravated circumstance to their assault. It's not exactly tough to argue either. Then let them beg for a plea agreement. That's just me though. This nonsense has to stop.

to have aggravated assault, you would need a deadly weapon involved. Good luck proving a helmet or shoulder pads are a deadly weapon. 

It is assault with bodily injury, but my point is why, if you were the official, would you want any more done to these kids than has already been done? They are infamous on a national level for committing a misdemeanor. Don't you think that is enough?

http://espn.go.com/moresports/story/_/id/13609876/john-jay-high-school-players-allege-referee-field-incident-used-racial-slurs

This is what the lady mentioned above is refering to. (The ignorance of this racist women isn't worth talking about y'all...) 

People these days think they can do whatever they want, get in trouble, and immediately scream racism to think it covers their actions. 

Throw these kids out of school and file the assault charges. If they lack any accountability then I hope their punishment is severe.

Good God. This obviously changes things. Probably the dumbest things these kids could have done. If I am the ref now, throw everything I said earlier out the window and I would want these kids prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law (assuming I didn't actually use racial slurs, which I think is a pretty valid assumption here).

So sad where we are headed as a society.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

to have aggravated assault, you would need a deadly weapon involved. Good luck proving a helmet or shoulder pads are a deadly weapon. 

It is assault with bodily injury, but my point is why, if you were the official, would you want any more done to these kids than has already been done? They are infamous on a national level for committing a misdemeanor. Don't you think that is enough?

Good God. This obviously changes things. Probably the dumbest things these kids could have done. If I am the ref now, throw everything I said earlier out the window and I would want these kids prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law (assuming I didn't actually use racial slurs, which I think is a pretty valid assumption here).

So sad where we are headed as a society.

Totally agree with what you're saying except the following is easy to prove. A “deadly weapon” is defined as a firearm or anything that is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury. Pretty easy to prove. A pen, pencil, bat, rock, pool cue, rope, and even a football helmet speared to the spine easily meet the definition. 

If kids were intelligent or had anyone worth their salt advising them they'd apologize for their moment of weakness or stupidly and apologize. Personally apologize to the victim, his loved ones, their families, school and community for their behavior. 

I bet the ref is going to get bank from the district and destroy these kids families with a law suit.

This whole thing is stupid and the kids are making it worse by trying to justify why they did it.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

Totally agree with what you're saying except the following is easy to prove. A “deadly weapon” is defined as a firearm or anything that is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury. Pretty easy to prove. A pen, pencil, bat, rock, pool cue, rope, and even a football helmet speared to the spine easily meet the definition. 

If kids were intelligent or had anyone worth their salt advising them they'd apologize for their moment of weakness or stupidly and apologize. Personally apologize to the victim, his loved ones, their families, school and community for their behavior. 

I bet the ref is going to get bank from the district and destroy these kids families with a law suit.

This whole thing is stupid.

agree with the apology part. The dumbasses just assured criminal charges being filed. 

You dont overcharge crimes. Under your theory, 11 year old Betty who jabs  11 year old Billy with a pencil in class because he kept throwing spit wads at her should be charged with a felony. The law is not devoid of common sense application.

• Upvote 1

agree with the apology part. The dumbasses just assured criminal charges being filed. 

You dont overcharge crimes. Under your theory, 11 year old Betty who jabs  11 year old Billy with a pencil in class because he kept throwing spit wads at her should be charged with a felony. The law is not devoid of common sense application.

had this taken place off a football field and outside of the realm of sports, what would your stance be? 

• Upvote 2

had this taken place off a football field and outside of the realm of sports, what would your stance be? 

On the crime? The same. If a kid was simply walking by football practice and a kid participating in that practice laid him out with a tackle, and the kid that was walking by suffered no substantial injury, the charge would still be assault with bodily injury, which is a class A misdemeanor. 

Its not my stance, it's the law in Texas. Now, I'm unaware of their is an enhancement for assault on a school official.

On the crime? The same. If a kid was simply walking by football practice and a kid participating in that practice laid him out with a tackle, and the kid that was walking by suffered no substantial injury, the charge would still be assault with bodily injury, which is a class A misdemeanor. 

Its not my stance, it's the law in Texas. Now, I'm unaware of their is an enhancement for assault on a school official.

That was what I mentioned earlier. It makes it more harsh for several reasons. It was retaliation because of the man's position and it was obviously a conspiracy once they committed the first overt act of planning to hit him, then actually doing it. 

I've seen charges indicted several ways. One thought is to piled it on and plea it down. The second, charge then do superseding indictments if necessary. Its the tomato or tomato way of looking at it. You generally end up in the same place. 

If that coach told them to retaliate on a bad call then he should be in big trouble too. At a minimum he should be fired.

That was what I mentioned earlier. It makes it more harsh for several reasons. It was retaliation because of the man's position and it was obviously a conspiracy once they committed the first overt act of planning to hit him, then actually doing it. 

I've seen charges indicted several ways. One thought is to piled it on and plea it down. The second, charge then do superseding indictments if necessary. Its the tomato or tomato way of looking at it. You generally end up in the same place. 

If that coach told them to retaliate on a bad call then he should be in big trouble too. At a minimum he should be fired.

no way you get an indictment for agg assault on this. Couldn't get that past a grand jury. Charge what should be charged. Anything else makes you look vindictive.

There is no enhancement for assault of a teacher or school official (I looked it up) and there is no way in hell a grand jury would indict this as a criminal conspiracy.

Lets try and keep some perspective.

Edited by UNT90