Should we shadow Davis?

Harry

I think you consider shadowing Davis this entire game. He can hurt you with his scrambling. I also agree with other who said to keep him in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm. Cosh needs to really prepare for misdirection in this one... They did a fair amount of it against Baylor but I suspect they will throw the kitchen sink at us. And yes that includes the dreaded 1st play of the game bomb. I promise you they are going to run that.

Finney/Bean.

I'm way more worried about his legs than his arm, that's for sure.

You absolutely spy him and you do it with a will linebacker type player while he plays the mike. So Calvin Minor or Sed Ellis. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of Bean or Wallace in this game unless they get pushed over to the will or sam. You also have to rely on interior pressure and "mush" rush the defensive ends so Davis doesn't get gaping holes to step uo into and potentially run through. Cosh better work on press coverage and hard jams this week. My bet is Morris will come out trying to bubble us to death and hunt for deep shots. If I'm Cosh I am using the formula of press and jam, blitz A gaps and spy with an athletic will. Don't give Davis the time to do anything, then have someone waiting for him. 

• Upvote 1

I remember the MT game in 2013 when they put in their running QB.  It worked for a few times and then Sed Ellis (I believe), absolutely trucked him and that was the end of that.  Hopefully, someone can do the same this weekend.

Like this one?  (Not sure how to embed the video.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uLpJ7VIfKPU

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

Having seen SMU/BU live I can tell you this guy is GOOOOD! I agree he will bubble screen a lot. We must attack and jump routes and not give a five yard cushion. SMU will run an uptempo offense, and we will need multiple looks on defense to keep them off balance. I was impressed with their lines on both sides of the ball. BU wore them down in the second half. I am hoping we have enough depth to do the same. They have the talent to put us in a hole in  the first half. We MUST move the chains as three and outs early will cost you dearly. Shadowing Davis is a MUST as he is shifty and can have five to eight yards on you in the blink of an eye. This is a well coached talented team but thin on depth. They play a lot of good freshman, but they can still make freshman mistakes. Throw out last year's game as this SMU team is so far better than that one that it's like dealing with polar opposites. If we can stay close in the first half we can wear them down, but if we get burned or give up three and outs in the first half we will find ourselves too far behind to make any sort of second half comeback. Historically we have been greatly intimidated on SMU home turf.

• Upvote 1

shadowing is not going to be as important as the dline staying in their lanes.  IF the ends run up field or the dt's leave that middle open, he'll take off.  Stay in your lanes and just use blitzes for pressure.  If he beats us with his arm, then oh well, he's too good for us.  Baylor's containment in the first half was as bad as their tackling.