Haven't yet decided to make the SMU game? Rethink this.

Harry

From everything we heard on the podcast tonight with RV, as well as other well placed sources... this may well be one of the best away game crowds we have had in a long time (perhaps ever?)... 26 student busses, the ENTIRE band, the ENTIRE drill team, cheerleaders etc...

I know some were disappointed with how last year turned out (or started?) but I would ask that you reconsider your position on attending this SMU game.  It will be a great game atmosphere.

In a weird way, the frustration we all had about opening the college season with a bye may play into providing even more interest and support for the SMU game than we might have had otherwise.  gmg

I am currently a sophomore at UNT and have recently become a very active user on this site.  I really enjoy getting the inside scoop on all things UNT.  I'd like to comment on this because I feel very confident that we will have a much larger Mean Green turnout than expected.  This game is crucial for many reasons and I think that has got people talking around campus.  Just today I convinced ten of my classmates, who aren't huge fans of football, to buy a ticket and just come out to socialize.  I've also been very surprised by the amount of North Texas students posting on the recently popular social media app, Yik Yak, about SMU (all smack talk, of course).  I never once saw this kind of excitement last season for the SMU game - or any game for that matter.  I just wish the professors would help push the message and show some spirit about the upcoming games.  I've never once heard any of my teachers speak a word about Mean Green athletics, but on many occasions I've heard them bring up Baylor, TCU, Texas, A&M, etc.  

Vomit. Maybe Smatresk can do something about that?

• Upvote 4

I am currently a sophomore at UNT and have recently become a very active user on this site.  I really enjoy getting the inside scoop on all things UNT.  I'd like to comment on this because I feel very confident that we will have a much larger Mean Green turnout than expected.  This game is crucial for many reasons and I think that has got people talking around campus.  Just today I convinced ten of my classmates, who aren't huge fans of football, to buy a ticket and just come out to socialize.  I've also been very surprised by the amount of North Texas students posting on the recently popular social media app, Yik Yak, about SMU (all smack talk, of course).  I never once saw this kind of excitement last season for the SMU game - or any game for that matter.  I just wish the professors would help push the message and show some spirit about the upcoming games.  I've never once heard any of my teachers speak a word about Mean Green athletics, but on many occasions I've heard them bring up Baylor, TCU, Texas, A&M, etc.  

Vomit. Maybe Smatresk can do something about that?

Here comes the old coot bring up ancient history to this discussion. I've brought this up several times, but here it goes again.

When Hayden Fry was hired as HC & AD, one of the first things he did was call a town meeting on campus (it was not the main auditorium but the main performance hall in the school of music) and invited everyone in the North Texas community to attend. He then shared his assessment of the school (he called NT a great institution of higher learning) and then he shared his vision for the athletic program and encouraged everyone to be a part of his vision. He then took questions from the audience. I don't remember one snarky question from anyone and the whole program was very well received.

Now I don't know if there is a similar gathering of teaching staff at North Texas every year where the President presents some sort of "state of the University" speech. But if there is, that would be a great opportunity for Coach Mac and RV to get up and invite everyone to be part of the program. And while they're up there they could share with them the same academic stats about all the athletic teams, like they did with the NT faithful this last Thursday.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

Welcome aboard, don't mind the infighting, GIF jokes, and all the rest that comes with this place. You'll (probably) come to love it.

• Upvote 3

Welcome, tell prof to stfu when they start spewing that bs about those other cheatin ass schools. GMG

I may end up missing the fun of the bus straight outta' Eastside, but I'll get to the game.  Love getting royally, irrevocably bent over and affectionately loved at work when I made plans for this months in advance.  It's awesome.  So it's more likely that I'll end up having to drive straight from work, where I will have started at about five in the morning.  So I might be tired, cranky, and generally just like the me you all know and loathe, but I'll still be at the game, preferably in something green.

Of course, I'm mainly going for the airplane, because that's gonna be amazing.

The SMU game could be a huge momentum builder for this season. If we get between 5,000 & 10,000 fans at the SMU game and win it will only increase the support for the next game and first home game against Rice. Its a big reason why the #1 key to NT having a successful season this year is:

Walk into Gerald J. Ford Stadium like Kenny Powers would and own it.

Cant stress enough how winning the first game could catapult this season.

6 Keys for North Texas Football to be Successful in 2015-16

• Upvote 2

The SMU game could be a huge momentum builder for this season. If we get between 5,000 & 10,000 fans at the SMU game and win it will only increase the support for the next game and first home game against Rice. Its a big reason why the #1 key to NT having a successful season this year is:

Walk into Gerald J. Ford Stadium like Kenny Powers would and own it.

Cant stress enough how winning the first game could catapult this season.

6 Keys for North Texas Football to be Successful in 2015-16

I have been beating this drum for some time. A win here in regards to the direction of the program, the hype surrounding the game, the anticipation of the bye week, etc. might be the biggest game in recent memory (since I have been following the program). It's bigger than the UNLV game, it's bigger than the 2013 Rice game and it's much, much bigger than the SMU game last year. It's the biggest game since McCarney has been at UNT, hands down. A win here is imperative. A loss here will be crushing for reasons of not only it being SMU, but also because it will (more than likely) send the season in a trajectory it doesn't need to be on for SMU is maybe the 10th best team on our schedule and that's being courteous. So, SHOW UP and take someone(s) with you. 

• Upvote 3

I've never once heard any of my teachers speak a word about Mean Green athletics, but on many occasions I've heard them bring up Baylor, TCU, Texas, A&M, etc.  

the professors I've had in the economics department have often brought up UNT football. (Weird to think it was economics of all departments...) One of my professors was so amped for the Texas game last season. He always pushed games. However, I do agree the majority do not mention games and often reference their undergrad university. 

the professors I've had in the economics department have often brought up UNT football. (Weird to think it was economics of all departments...) One of my professors was so amped for the Texas game last season. He always pushed games. However, I do agree the majority do not mention games and often reference their undergrad university. 

Nieswadomy is good about it. I had a class of his with Zach Muzzy and he would always ask Muzzy about the games.

McPherson was really good too(my fav prof), I had Denis Hopavac in his class. McPherson was going to be the faculty sponsor for a new spirit group my buddy and I were going to form because we that the Talons were lacking spirit. We got busy with other things and didn't end up forming the group but he was pro-UNT and athletics enough to be willing to sponsor us.

I think I had Blake Burress in Dadres' class too. She is a Mean Green(and SMU for PhD) alum and proud to rep the green and white.

Seemed to me that a bunch of the econ folks were sports nuts like me. Jewell is big on sports but mostly talked Cowboys from what I recall.

• Upvote 1

Welcome, tell prof to stfu when they start spewing that bs about those other cheatin ass schools. GMG

This is the advice you would give to a student who has a UNT professor that doesn't talk up UNT Football but mentions these other schools, to tell them to tell the prof to stfu?

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2

This is the advice you would give to a student who has a UNT professor that doesn't talk up UNT Football but mentions these other schools, to tell them to tell the prof to stfu?

Obviously with tact, but yes. There is nothing wrong with telling a professor while he/she is talking about another university while teaching at our university that, "no one cares." 

And it's not about them not talking up UNT, it's them talking up other universities while teaching at this one. Maybe you need to reread what was written. 

• Upvote 1

Obviously with tact, but yes. There is nothing wrong with telling a professor while he/she is talking about another university while teaching at our university that, "no one cares." 

And it's not about them not talking up UNT, it's them talking up other universities while teaching at this one. Maybe you need to reread what was written. 

How exactly does one, tactfully, tell someone to stfu, as you posted above, especially to someone who you are basically working for, in terms of a grade?

I posted above about the reality of mentioning the other P5 behemoths first, many of whom they graduated from or are fans of, not to mention the fact that you might be missing by just a bit here--that the UNT faculty overwhelmingly has treated Football as a nuisance for our entire existence, with obvious exceptions. In a perfect football nirvana, the entire UNT Family would just be like those P5 giants and their loyal following--but we know we don't exist in that kind of scenario in Denton, not even close.

What I would offer as advice for the students in those classes that profs talk up other schools is to offer them an invite to a home game with their friends and see what he or she says back. Hell, you might turn them into something they never imagined they would be--actual UNT Fans, even if its secondary to UT, A&M, Tech, etc...you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

• Upvote 1

how would one abbreviate/acronym a tactful stfu? emsiywmiyngtsuntatstsyccyalrfdtonars, maybe? 

How exactly does one, tactfully, tell someone to stfu, as you posted above, especially to someone who you are basically working for, in terms of a grade?

I posted above about the reality of mentioning the other P5 behemoths first, many of whom they graduated from or are fans of, not to mention the fact that you might be missing by just a bit here--that the UNT faculty overwhelmingly has treated Football as a nuisance for our entire existence, with obvious exceptions. In a perfect football nirvana, the entire UNT Family would just be like those P5 giants and their loyal following--but we know we don't exist in that kind of scenario in Denton, not even close.

What I would offer as advice for the students in those classes that profs talk up other schools is to offer them an invite to a home game with their friends and see what he or she says back. Hell, you might turn them into something they never imagined they would be--actual UNT Fans, even if its secondary to UT, A&M, Tech, etc...you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

emsiywmiyngtsuntatstsyccyalrfdtonars

(just trying it out)

• Upvote 2

Just to clarify, these professors I am speaking of didn't necessarily "talk up" other universities, most of it was just small talk before class amongst peers.  This would often times include pro football as well.   I just think it would be beneficial if each classroom had a slide up before class started to inform students of upcoming games, especially the home games.  

• Upvote 3

I basically did that (diplomatically) to a sociology professor who dissed our university both academically and athletically more than once in the classroom. At the end of the semester the jerk burned me with a C, but I appealed and ended up with the B that I deserved. Don't these people realize that they are only putting down themselves when they put down the university where they are employed? Same goes for NT students who wear UT shirts around campus. 

• Upvote 6

I believe lots of profs in the College of Business support the Mean Green.  In fact one, Tom Klammer, just recently was mentioned as having made the largest ever donation to Mean Green Athletics in the history of the school's internal giving campaign.

edit:  If I am not mistaken, Tom Klammer, made that donation this year as a retired prof as well.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 5

yeah, I had a cool professor in some elective class I took the year I graduate, that cancelled class for us, because that was the night of the Rice game. He just gave us our lesson on blackboard. It was an evening class, and I was worried I'd miss the first half.

i also had a professor that went to Indiana University and would always talk highly of IU. He talked crapped about UNT football too. He quieted down, when we beat them in Denton a few years ago. Lol

• Upvote 1

Point is, don't sit there closed mouthed when a professor is dissing UNT and/or praising his/her university. To me, it's unacceptable. 

Also, say something to people walking around in other university apparel while on campus. I always do. I have been told "mind your own F**** business", "f*** off", UNT f**** sucks", etc. You name it really, but I always say something. I feel obligated to say something and I will say from since I started going to school there and to now with my minimal trips back to campus it is something not seen quite as much. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1