Periscope - DB Jamal Marshall discusses the season

adman

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aKzwFjYwNjcyMnw2OTk1MzM0MJaWvpgFFdM2AkcNgwAa4QpzsbeOSbGGuEGiLkEmHsPp

Here's the takeaway - Jamal is shooting to be the first NFL drafted player out of UNT in a while. He thinks 2nd round.  He's 6'3" 205-ish lbs and runs a 4.3 40.

Said he has 18 PBU's in camp this season - the most of anyone. 

He's predicting a 9-4 season.

When asked who he's most impressed with this camp he said: Darvin Kidsy looks like Dez Bryant with his ability to snag balls and that Darvin ran track in the spring and has improved his 40 time to 4.4-4.5. He believes we'll see a lot out of Darvin. He said Marcus Smith has improved his route running and really improved his catching saying that last year MS would throw up a hand for a ball and now he catches like a receiver. He closed with a statement about our RB corps: "Running backs? Ooo..we about to be cold with the running backs." 

• Upvote 7

Talks a lot of shit, but I like it. That fast and that big, yes he has a chance at the NFL. But he will be really hurt by playing LB for 3 years. And who knows if he even starts this year?  But you want a CB (like a WR) to be confident.

Seems like he is having fun at least and I wish him the best for sure. GMG.

• Upvote 1

He will get some serious attention in the combine with that type of speed and size.  Still needs to have a strong senior year.  Sort of reminds me of a guy Houston drafted named Lamar Lathom.  Did not produce huge on the field numbers but had unbelievable athletic ability and showed it in the combine.

If he's as good as (he) advertised, I hope the coaches use him to benefit the team.  And not end up like Aaron Bellazin(?). Wasn't good enough for game time at NT, but the Oakland Raiders thought he was worth playing in games.

Jamize Olawale is who you are thinking of. 

• Upvote 2

Marcus Smith needs 50 catches this year while flirting with 10 td's. He does that and runs even a decent 40 times he'll get drafted. I like Polk and the versatility he brings to the table, but I don't think he's a draft prospect. 

Jamal needs to show game changing flashes to go along with his measurables and he too will have a shot. 

Love the confidence, but I'm betting that 40 time is hand timed...

... by a relative.

Actually, I think his 40 is legit. when people say 4.3 they mean sub 4.4. so it could be a 4.35. Jamal is the fastest on the team and has been most of his time at NT. also, he has been working with the track team so his times probably got better.

• Upvote 2

You more knowledgeable types tell me what you think - but I feel like Jamal would project more as a safety a la Darren Woodson. Woodson was 6'1" 215 or so coming out of college where he also played LB. 

He's got speed to cover and size to hit. 

You more knowledgeable types tell me what you think - but I feel like Jamal would project more as a safety a la Darren Woodson. Woodson was 6'1" 215 or so coming out of college where he also played LB. 

the issue with Jamal is picking up the defense.  Athleticism is great, but you still have to know how to play the game.  Zed Evans was an athletic freak.  Even faster than jamal.  Couldn't get on the field and then he quit with a year of eligibility left.  These coaches are not going to play you just because you are a freak athlete.  You have to know your assignments and responsibilities.  

I agree that safety is probably a better fit for his body type and skill set, but coach Joseph wasn't a big fan of him mentally.  Not saying he or any other athlete that can't pick up a system is dumb...sometimes, it's just a mindset.  You have to know a lot to play safety.  You have to recognize lineups and make calls.  He played corner in high school and most hs corners are out there just playing man and locking down a top wr.

They tried him at LB, and that did not work out.

Corner is easier from a mental aspect.  You only have a few responsibilities.  Flats, deep outside, or man to man.  And responsibilities rarely change once the defense is called.

Talking about athletes in general...Being big and fast is great.  Running fast in a straight line is good too, but that may not equate to quickness and having good body control.  Fast speed going in the wrong direction can also make matters worse.  Reaction time is also important.  Taking the right angles.  A raw athlete can take these things for granted because their athleticism bails them out a lot.

I heard jamal is looking real good in camp...but I also heard some other things about our DB personel that makes me think the coaches are still looking for something more.

• Upvote 4

If he wants to get drafted he will have to ball out at CB. 

the issue with Jamal is picking up the defense.  Athleticism is great, but you still have to know how to play the game.  Zed Evans was an athletic freak.  Even faster than jamal.  Couldn't get on the field and then he quit with a year of eligibility left.  These coaches are not going to play you just because you are a freak athlete.  You have to know your assignments and responsibilities.  

I don't think this is a fair statement about Zed at all. He wasn't gonna beat out the guys that were already here in 2013 and he was FORCED to quit because of injuries (Back). The kid was playing at Louisville before he transferred but wasn't going to beat out some of the Louisville safeties that are NFL starters right now. IDK about Jamal, but Zed's situation was very different. 

• Upvote 2

I agree that safety is probably a better fit for his body type and skill set, but coach Joseph wasn't a big fan of him mentally.  Not saying he or any other athlete that can't pick up a system is dumb...sometimes, it's just a mindset.  You have to know a lot to play safety.  You have to recognize lineups and make calls.  He played corner in high school and most hs corners are out there just playing man and locking down a top wr.

They tried him at LB, and that did not work out.

Corner is easier from a mental aspect.  You only have a few responsibilities.  Flats, deep outside, or man to man.  And responsibilities rarely change once the defense is called.

Talking about athletes in general...Being big and fast is great.  Running fast in a straight line is good too, but that may not equate to quickness and having good body control.  Fast speed going in the wrong direction can also make matters worse.  Reaction time is also important.  Taking the right angles.  A raw athlete can take these things for granted because their athleticism bails them out a lot.

I heard jamal is looking real good in camp...but I also heard some other things about our DB personel that makes me think the coaches are still looking for something more.

Someone has been paying attention.

That's Jamal's spot to lose but there are multiple DB positions that are debatable right now.  PENDING- a lot of things....

The secondary worries me.  

The linebackers worry me a lot more.  The secondary often gets all of the blame passed on them after busted linebacker coverage and errors.  

* someone that no one talks about-  SED ELLIS.

it's obvious that SOMEONE doesn't like him.  I can't figure out for the life of me why he's third string.  You poll these players and I guarantee you that most of them mention ELLIS as a potential NFL draft pick.... That's if he's given an opportunity, of course?.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

That's Jamal's spot to lose but there are multiple DB positions that are debatable right now.  PENDING- a lot of things....

The linebackers worry me a lot more.  The secondary often gets all of the blame passed on them after busted linebacker coverage and errors.  

it's obvious that Cosh doesn't like him.  I can't figure out for the life of me why he's third string.  You poll these players and I guarantee you that most of them mention ELLIS as a potential NFL draft pick.... That's if he's given an opportunity, of course?.

giphy.gif

Ellis was unblockable in all of those Periscope vids.   I guess I trust you, but that is bad news.

• Upvote 1

Another thing that is not really being discussed is our special teams.  They were one of the most influential aspects of our heart of Dallas bowl team.

after witnessing them in practice/ scrimmages-

This has been one of the most exciting things to watch.  They're solid.

• Upvote 3

it's obvious that SOMEONE doesn't like him.  I can't figure out for the life of me why he's third string.  You poll these players and I guarantee you that most of them mention ELLIS as a potential NFL draft pick.... That's if he's given an opportunity, of course?.

Ellis was listed as 1a-1b with Minor at LB to start camp. That's changed?