VA news reporter & cameraman killed on live TV

That the left isnt full of utopian wussies scared of guns and things that go bump in the night.  

LOL!

Rick

I'm not sure you can call someone(s) "wussies" and then as a grown, and supposedly less-wussy, man use an "lol" without an appreciable recognition of the irony. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

Not quite sure if that's the best analogy. It really depends on what the demand of the product is and how much effort is put into enforcement. 

What analogy? I asked a question. It seems that there are lots of examples of people being told they cannot own something and I didn't specifically call any out.

Edited by forevereagle

There is a lot BS out there on gun control ...... despite what some claim about others wanting taking away ALL guns (very few of those really) ... most is about having guns such AK-15's that can kill a dozen people in a few seconds... Those are not really about self- protection or hunting but killing a lot of people in a hurry...... This incident was not about that... but the train in France was.... Personally I hate to see it legal for students to carry guns on campus to class or keep guns in a dorm room... A lot more people will be killed by carelessness and idiots playing with one than will be saved...  Too many just consider them toys and have no business with one.  Then there are the idiots that think they have a right and need  to carry an automatic rifle into every store in town.... [ really .. why... ??? ]  this is not Syria or Somalia... Ever heard of one of those characters needing one...?...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Any kind of firearm can kill "dozens" of people in seconds, it just depends on how proficient you are.  Semi-Auto Rifles or "assault rifles" as they are inappropriately called, have been used for home defense, as well as hunting.  It is common to attach a silencer to one, and hunt feral hogs.  As to the incident in France, yes, that was his weapon of choice, but it really is a moot point since I believe guns are outlawed for the most part there.

• Upvote 3

Any kind of firearm can kill "dozens" of people in seconds, it just depends on how proficient you are.  Semi-Auto Rifles or "assault rifles" as they are inappropriately called, have been used for home defense, as well as hunting.  It is common to attach a silencer to one, and hunt feral hogs.  As to the incident in France, yes, that was his weapon of choice, but it really is a moot point since I believe guns are outlawed for the most part there.

Also, he had two other weapons, including an edged weapon (box cutter or knife).  

I occasionally listen to the AM dial on the drive home just for kicks.  I recall one afternoon the host was talking about how he wasn't gonna let Obama take some rifle he owned that was capable of downing a target from something ridiculous like a half mile away because he needed it for home protection.

I think I fired one of those rifles when I was about 19 years old out on public land in Colorado.  I was able to hit a target about the size of a trash can from, I'm gonna estimate about a quarter mile.  It really was fun, and I was amazed at the capability of something to do that.

For hunting, I can totally see why one would want something like this.  For home protection, I cannot.  In what scenario would somebody need that kind of long distance accuracy for home protection?  Are we taking up residence in the Alamo when Mexico invades?

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure you can call someone(s) "wussies" and then as a grown, and supposedly less-wussy, man use an "lol" without an appreciable recognition of the irony. 

Im honestly not sure but the LOL thing really seems to bother you cause I've seen you use it in your snark comments before.  I guess it's somehow morphed into the way of reposting your own tweets among the Do's and Donts on the internets?  I was being sarcastic so I guess I didn't make myself clear.

I  have no idea and it doesn't bother me at all but for you I'll try and do better next time if it'll help?

Rick 

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not sure why I need to settle down. Just asking questions to dissect your theory that prohibition automatically does work.

No, your theory was that prohibition automatically *doesn't* work, I'm saying there's bound to be examples where prohibition is successful, particularly when you're discussing things that aren't vices in the way gambling, alcohol, or maybe drugs are. 

For hunting, I can totally see why one would want something like this.  For home protection, I cannot.  In what scenario would somebody need that kind of long distance accuracy for home protection?  Are we taking up residence in the Alamo when Mexico invades?

You are forgetting Jade Helm-15 .... Abbott seemed to think the US military was going to overthrow Texas and keep Obama in office... We need protection from our military...

Also, he had two other weapons, including an edged weapon (box cutter or knife).  

Yep .. a box cutter is a weapon of mass destruction....  can take out dozens in a matter of seconds...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's what happened in neighborhoods in Detroit.  33 shot over the weekend.  No hysteria there, though.  Why? 

Criminals Commit Crime

If people--particularly young males--don't have role models, don't have constructive or useful occupations, or have mental or chemical issues, they will get into trouble, and they will cause trouble in order to get what they want, because they see no other way--or no easier way--to do it.  That's always the way it has been, and that's always the way it will be, until those root causes are corrected. 

• Upvote 2

No, your theory was that prohibition automatically *doesn't* work, I'm saying there's bound to be examples where prohibition is successful, particularly when you're discussing things that aren't vices in the way gambling, alcohol, or maybe drugs are. 

So a black market doesn't exist for things that aren't vices? The determined and/or criminally minded who want things that are illegal get them. There is a black market for non-low flow toilets.

Guns are not outlawed in France..... but they do have stricter controls  ..... I have seen several guns stores in Europe especially Italy and I think Switzerland... Britain may have the toughest laws and easiest to enforce because it is an Island and people can not just drive over the border with one as is the case everywhere else. Inside the  EU there are no real border checks as there was once.

I doubt you could kill dozens of people with a 30-06 that holds about six shots in just a few second or any of the single shot shotguns or .22's I own.

Yes it is 'possible' to hunt with one but most are not huge caliber and not well suited for hunting and especially for killing huge feral hog.... You need a 30-06 or something similar to knock one down and for him to not escape.... [ I am not a city kid.. own rural ranch land. ... been around guns all my life and seen a lot idiot behavior with them  ]

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

If you thought legalizing Marijuana in Colorado would end the black market, you are wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guns are not outlawed in France..... but they do have stricter controls  ..... I have seen several guns stores in Europe especially Italy and I think Switzerland... Britain may have the toughest laws and easiest to enforce because it is an Island and people can not just drive over the border with one as is the case everywhere else. Inside the  EU there are no real border checks as there was once.

I doubt you could kill dozens of people with a 30-06 that holds about six shots in just a few second or any of the single shot shotguns or .22's I own.

Yes it is 'possible' to hunt with one but most are not huge caliber and not well suited for hunting and especially for killing huge feral hog.... You need a 30-06 or something similar to knock one down and for him to not escape.... [ I am not a city kid.. own rural ranch land. ... been around guns all my life and seen a lot idiot behavior with them  ]

You continually use the argument that you aren't a city kid and then spout nonsense about guns. I think you've seen a lot of idiot behavior because you know and hang out with a lot of idiots. I rarely see that behavior and call game wardens on the rare occasions I have.

You do realize that an AK pattern rifle in its "native" chambering is ballistically very similar to a .30-30, right? In your vast rural experience have you ever known people to effectively use a .30-30 to ethically harvest deer, hogs or other similar game animals? .223 is a bit light for deer, though it's certainly can work. It's great for varmints, does work on hogs, and is an excellent self defense round with the right ammo. In a modern sporting rifle (improperly labeled 'assault rifle') it's an excellent system and caliber for a multitude of uses.

You can use antiquated technology if you like, but you should understand many people want more modern equipment.

• Upvote 3

Asking again, because it was never answered before.

1) Do we have  evidence from other countries that suggest gun control laws will work?

I am incredibly frustrated with quoting posts right now.  I'm trying to quote @UNTFan23.

I just glanced at the third article you posted, and found it to be super slanted.  Most of the "black market" stuff mentioned has to do with interstate transport.  Of course that's going to happen when every neighboring state still prohibits it.  It had been happening between Washington and Oregon for quite some time, and probably still is since Oregon won't open it's retail marijuana shops until October.  The same thing would happen if say, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana, and Arkansas were all suddenly to prohibit alcohol.  (LOL! I just suggested Louisiana prohibit alcohol!)  The bootleggers, for whom most southern states seem to have a deep rooted cultural affection, would be guilty of the exact same crime as the "criminals" in your article.

On the other side of this coin, Colorado pulled in so much tax money in 2014, that state law required them to give the surplus back to the citizens.  And the citizens are trying to pass a bill to let the government keep the money because it's all going to schools.

Colorado isn't perfect, but it's certainly on the right track.  As for Oregon, well, I had one hell of a vacation, sitting on the beach, watching fireworks, enjoying the most freedom I'd ever seen in my life.

• Upvote 1