UNT vs. UTA scheduled for Dec 3rd

I like getting the river key going again. The last time I went to a game at UTA we were blown out and Emmitt was in front of me calling for JJ to be fired. 

if you make this one Emmett may not be the only one calling for Benny to get fired after the trouncing we will take playing there. Still incredibly stupid that we never even interviewed Cross. He has run a clean ship, kids play their butts off, and he has great ties all over. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I like getting the river key going again. The last time I went to a game at UTA we were blown out and Emmitt was in front of me calling for JJ to be fired. 

Wait....I thought all JJ did was schedule quality non conference teams and beat any non elite schools with ease during his tenure at UNT? So you can't possibly be right. Must have been Benfords fault somehow right?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Wait....I thought all JJ did was schedule quality non conference teams and beat any non elite schools with ease during his tenure at UNT? So you can't possibly be right. Must have been Benfords fault somehow right?

YAY...we got a new one!!!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

relative? 

UTA was 24-9, including 15-1 in conference. They were upset conference tournament and went on to loss to Washington by 10 in the 1st round of the NIT.

Solid D1 opponent that completely kicked our young asses.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Boy man - that UTA game was a nut kick.  Had a family member in town for that game and was talking up Johnny and the team. Honestly UTA was so pumped up and their fans were so loud.  We had a lousy night and the ride home I was pretty quiet.

Well we did beat OSU, Tech and LSU during JJ's tenure, so there's that??? Oh and we went to the NCAA tournament 2 of the 3 times in school history.

I really enjoyed winning basketball, growing crowds at home, and feeling like we had a legit shot at winning our conference tourney 5 years in a row.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well we did beat OSU, Tech and LSU during JJ's tenure, so there's that??? Oh and we went to the NCAA tournament 2 of the 3 times in school history.

I really enjoyed winning basketball, growing crowds at home, and feeling like we had a legit shot at winning our conference tourney 5 years in a row.

that's like 20 suits.

• Upvote 3

How you doing, Tony? Enjoying that $325k large salary still? You only have a couple of years left, so put some hay in the barn...IOW, don't buy any suits.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Im glad that in 11 years on the job you could point to non-conference home wins over the eventual 9th place in Big 12 OSU, and eventual 11th place in Texas Tech. Was Johnny a better coach? Probably. 
Better crowd? absolutely...but the narrative that Johnny was slaying powerhouses night after night in the pit is a joke...And just so I feel better about myself for saying that; I will say I like/liked Johnny and appreciated his years here 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Im glad that in 11 years on the job you could point to non-conference home wins over the eventual 9th place in Big 12 OSU, and eventual 11th place in Texas Tech. Was Johnny a better coach? Probably. 
Better crowd? absolutely...but the narrative that Johnny was slaying powerhouses night after night in the pit is a joke...And just so I feel better about myself for saying that; I will say I like/liked Johnny and appreciated his years here 

Where was that narrative? I certainly don't recall seeing it anywhere.

If you mistook people remembering that JJ coached teams never lost to a D2...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Literally, no one thought this...no one.

Literally, everyone thinks Johnny Jones IS (not probably) a better coach than Tony Benford...everyone.

JJ may have been disappointing at times, but not once do I remember us losing to a D-2 team (Alabama-Huntsville), losing at home to an in-state, non-power school in OOC by 30+ points and having their team have more fans than we did (SFA) in the Super Pit, and following up a big win with a loss at home to that powerhouse Prairie View A&M. We had our issues under Johnny Jones, but without question, he steered us upward from the depths of the Vic Trilli debacle. Now, whoever comes in for the next season will have to clean up Benford's mess...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Nobody has submitted a "Johnny's teams constantly slayed non-conference powerhouses" narrative to this discussion. You did that.

I merely pointed out some name teams we knocked off that resonate with casual fans. Also, LSU was a road non con win.

Given the schools previous basketball history, doubling the number of NCAA Tournament appearances during that 11 year run and almost quadrupling home attendance averages is something to be thankful for.

For the record, I enjoyed UNT's road win over A&M under Benfords watch. I don't, however, enjoy the lifeless atmosphere at the Super Pit these days. It depresses me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Nobody has submitted a "Johnny's teams constantly slayed non-conference powerhouses" narrative to this discussion. You did that.

I merely pointed out some name teams we knocked off that resonate with casual fans. Also, LSU was a road non con win.

Given the schools previous basketball history, doubling the number of NCAA Tournament appearances during that 11 year run and almost quadrupling home attendance averages is something to be thankful for.

For the record, I enjoyed UNT's road win over A&M under Benfords watch. I don't, however, enjoy the lifeless atmosphere at the Super Pit these days. It depresses me.

^^^^

This.

Also, I will second the depressing feeling about the Pit's atmosphere. I REALLY miss how that place could get loud and rocking during big games.

• Upvote 1

Literally, no one thought this...no one.

Literally, everyone thinks Johnny Jones IS (not probably) a better coach than Tony Benford...everyone.

JJ may have been disappointing at times, but not once do I remember us losing to a D-2 team (Alabama-Huntsville), losing at home to an in-state, non-power school in OOC by 30+ points and having their team have more fans than we did (SFA) in the Super Pit, and following up a big win with a loss at home to that powerhouse Prairie View A&M. We had our issues under Johnny Jones, but without question, he steered us upward from the depths of the Vic Trilli debacle. Now, whoever comes in for the next season will have to clean up Benford's mess...

And, much more importantly,a better talent evaluator and recruiter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1