Group Train Ride from Plano to SMU Game

UNT 90 Grad

Looking to ride the train from Collin County to the SMU game?  Anyone and everyone are welcome to meet at Vickery Park in historic downtown Plano.  Vickery Park is located at 1101 E. 15th Street in Plano, right around the corner from the downtown Plano DART train station.  (Coming from US 75 Central Expressway, just take the 15th Street exit in Plano and head east to downtown Plano.)  Let's meet at Vickery Park around 2pm for pre-tailgate food and drinks.  We can then march around the corner to the train station and catch the 2:31 train, which will have us to Mockingbird Station at 2:57pm.  Local train tickets are $5 and cover you for the day.  The North Texas Mean Green Tailgate starts at 3pm (tickets are $20 in advance through the North Texas Ticket office or $30 at the gate).

Feel free to hang out at Vickery Park later if you don't plan to tailgate prior to the game.  To make it there by game time, you probably want to catch the 5:11pm train at the latest, which gets you to Mockingbird Station at 5:37pm, giving you about 20 minutes to get to your seats at Ford Field.

There is gameday shuttle bus service from Mockingbird Station starting at 6am that concludes 1 hour post game.

550afd4d23a5f.image.jpg?resize=300%2C200

Post here if you think you might join us.  RSVP not necessary to attend.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Im leaving work at frisco at 5 on saturday, if i get to the train station by 5:15/ 5:20 anyone know if i can make it down their by kickoff?

The 5:31 will get you to Mockingbird by 5:57.   By the time you get over to the stadium, you'll miss kickoff by a bit.   If you can make it before the 5:11, that'd be your best shot.  

http://www.dart.org/schedules/s600so.pdf

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

The 5:31 will get you to Mockingbird by 5:57.   By the time you get over to the stadium, you'll miss kickoff by a bit.   If you can make it before the 5:11, that'd be your best shot.  

http://www.dart.org/schedules/s600so.pdf

Ok cool, i am hoping to get out by 4 or even 430. i should have no issues then. How far is the walk from the DART to the stadium? i've never been to SMU

Hi. I went to SMU and my girlfriend went to UNT so we are both looking forward to Saturday. 

As for DART, it is definitely the best option. We always use it for the basketball games since parking is a real issue at Moody, too. You can either walk (8-10 minutes) from Mockingbird Station or take one of the buses. Many people just walk but the buses are usually available with little to no wait. Just a guess, but they run maybe ten buses. 

One thing to be aware of is it took people around 30 minutes to get through security and into the stadium right at kickoff for the Baylor game. The main reason for this was the 6:00pm start on a Friday as most people were scrambling to get there before the kick and it created a huge bottleneck. That's a big reason the stadium looked only half full at the start. This shouldn't be an issue on Saturday but give yourself some time if you're able.

Also, I hope as many of you as possible can arrive a few hours early and spend time on the boulevard. You don't have to go to a UNT space as most all SMU tents will invite you over for a drink and good conversation. We even allow TCU folks to stop by, sometimes. 

If you have any parking, stadium or boulevard questions, I'll try to answer them. Enjoy the game and good luck after this Saturday. 

Edited by MJavierSMU
  • Upvote 6

Hi. I went to SMU and my girlfriend went to UNT so we are both looking forward to Saturday. 

As for DART, it is definitely the best option. We always use it for the basketball games since parking is a real issue at Moody, too. You can either walk (8-10 minutes) from Mockingbird Station or take one of the buses. Many people just walk but the buses are usually available with little to no wait. Just a guess, but they run maybe ten buses. 

One thing to be aware of is it took people around 30 minutes to get through security and into the stadium right at kickoff for the Baylor game. The main reason for this was the 6:00pm start on a Friday as most people were scrambling to get there before the kick and it created a huge bottleneck. That's a big reason the stadium looked only half full at the start. This shouldn't be an issue on Saturday but give yourself some time if you're able.

Also, I hope as many of you as possible can arrive a few hours early and spend time on the boulevard. You don't have to go to a UNT space as most all SMU tents will invite you over for a drink and good conversation. We even allow TCU folks to stop by, sometimes. 

If you have any parking, stadium or boulevard questions, I'll try to answer them. Enjoy the game and good luck after this Saturday. 

what was final attendance do you know?

Dating up, I see.

Thanks for the info.

• Upvote 3

We bought parking in Moody garage (lot B) and wondered what's the best route to get there. Do they close any roads around the stadium on game day?  Thanks for any info.

GMG!

We bought parking in Moody garage (lot B) and wondered what's the best route to get there. Do they close any roads around the stadium on game day?  Thanks for any info.

GMG!

if you're are going south on 75 exit Lovers. Stay on the service road to SMU Blvd (Bush Library is on this street) and take a right. You'll come to a stop sign, continue straight and Moody garage B will be on your left, right after the intramural field. 

Bishop Blvd (west of the stadium) will be closed for tailgating but you'll be fine getting into the Moody garage from 75. Once you park, head west and you're right by the Blvd. 

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/smu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/2015FBParkingMap.pdf

Edited by MJavierSMU
  • Upvote 1

I just did a little recon work at Vickery Park over lunch.  Food was really good.   Good beer selection.  Friendly service, but a little slow.   It's a seat-yourself kind of place.   Their brunch menu will be available until 3pm on Saturday.   I plan to get to Vickery Park a little early.   If you want to eat and drink before catching the train, I suggest getting their a little early too or plan on catching a later train.  

There are a few parking options.  There is parking right in front of the restaurant, train station parking, and a Downtown Plano parking garage.  

This might be a good spot for celebrating a victory if things go right Saturday!

• Upvote 1