UNT > Baylor

UNT15

We will have more fans in attendance at Ford Field on 9/12 than they will on 9/4. For being the best team in the big 12 for the last 3-4 years, they really don't travel well.

Baylor was so lucky to get invited to the B12 when they did - the invitation certainly wasn't merit based

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

What game set UNT's attendance record?  Yes, when an absolutely awful Baylor team came to Fouts, and their alumni filled up that junky stadium.  And #2 in our history was another time when Baylor came to Fouts.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that we could bring more fans to SMU than Baylor does, but I think we'd better wait until afterwards to think about bragging about that one.

• Upvote 4

with more then 216,000 UNT alumni live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, you would think it would be a no brainer that UNT should be SMU's biggest attendance getter. However, We are not able to even sell out Apogee stadium yet. I'm with @Mean Green 93-98, and say we should wait until after the game to start talking numbers.

One thing is for sure!.... We are going to bring a good crowd to Ford in 20 days!

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

with more then 216,000 UNT alumni live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, you would think it would be a no brainer that UNT should be SMU's biggest attendance getter. However, We are not able to even sell out Apogee stadium yet. I'm with @Mean Green 93-98, and say we should wait until after the game to start talking numbers.

One thing is for sure!.... We are going to bring a good crowd to Ford in 20 days!

biggest crowds in UNT history have been in Dallas. HOD Bowl was latest example. People in Dallas have a pulse unlike the old nesters of little "d" !!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

biggest crowds in UNT history have been in Dallas. HOD Bowl was latest example. People in Dallas have a pulse unlike the old nesters of little "d" !!!!!

Well the people in Dallas-Fort Worth must start making that horrible drive of 30 minutes to an hour to Apogee to actually show real consistent support. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well the people in Dallas-Fort Worth must start making that horrible drive of 30 minutes to an hour to Apogee to actually show real consistent support.YEAH cause the people of little"d" won't even cross the street to go to Apogee. I have heard all their BS excuses. On any game day there are many more people who came from outside the artsy fartsy Denton community than from within.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We don't want any of Baylor. There was a time when we could hold our own against the likes of Baylor and Texas Tech. That time has passed. We have trouble with UTSA now. I love MG football, but we need to be realistic.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

We don't want any of Baylor. There was a time when we could hold our own against the likes of Baylor and Texas Tech. That time has passed. We have trouble with UTSA now. I love MG football, but we need to be realistic.

In fairness, the thread has nothing to do with playing Baylor.  The question is whether or not we will bring more fans to SMU than Baylor.

• Upvote 4

UNT fans seem to travel well. I have been to 2 games at Rice where we outnumbered the Owls and got pounded. The product on the field matters more than the turnout in the stands. Sorry for misreading the original post.

• Upvote 3

In fairness, the thread has nothing to do with playing Baylor.  The question is whether or not we will bring more fans to SMU than Baylor.

We better bring more fans than Baylor. UNT has 36,000 students and Baylor has 16,000. UNT is actually part of the metroplex and Waco isn't. I have no clue what the numbers are but our alumni base in the metroplex undoubtedly dwarfs Baylor's alumni base in the metroplex. Baylor is a really good team so they'll get people watching them in droves but I think we have to have more numbers than them at this particular game. 

UNT fans seem to travel well. I have been to 2 games at Rice where we outnumbered the Owls and got pounded. The product on the field matters more than the turnout in the stands. Sorry for misreading the original post.

No problem.  And welcome to the board!

We better bring more fans than Baylor. UNT has 36,000 students and Baylor has 16,000. UNT is actually part of the metroplex and Waco isn't. I have no clue what the numbers are but our alumni base in the metroplex undoubtedly dwarfs Baylor's alumni base in the metroplex. Baylor is a really good team so they'll get people watching them in droves but I think we have to have more numbers than them at this particular game. 

I hope you're right.  We'll see, is all I'm saying.

• Upvote 1

It's a question of engagement in athletics.  I have neighbors on both sides of me in Allen with Baylor garden flags in front of their house.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a North Texas flag flying in the entire subdivision.   What percentage of UNT alumni follow UNT athletics vs the same for Baylor?  I dunno.  The same question can be asked about students. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3

I found a Facebook post from the official UNT Facebook in 2012, that stated the university has over 216,000 Alumni in the DFW area alone.

The promoting of this game is pretty awesome, I think a job well done was made in an effort to get people to come out. NT just needs to close business and beat the ponies that day.

• Upvote 3

Bob Bullock actually did a lot more than Richards to get Baylor into the Big XII. 

Here's a link to a DMN article on the subject. Yes, it's posted on the Baylor fan site as "Ann Richards is why Baylor is in the Big XII" crops up for them as often as "Mean Joe Greene gave UNT it's nickname" does for us. 

So did David Sibley...

Both Sibley and Bullock made sure Tech and Baylor were getting into the Big XII. Ann Richards may have helped behind the scenes, but those two did more to get Baylor and Tech in than she did, publically.

The Big XII likely won't even exist in 5 years. Texas and OU will have zero problem finding a new conference home when the bigs finally break away from the packBut everyone else's days in the sun are numbered. All that's left is figuring out who's going with UT to the Pac-16/ACC and who is going with OU to the SEC. 

They've ruined college football. The networks. The sponsors. The feckless NCAA. University presidents. They're all responsible.