MGB: Saturday morning scrimmage notes (updated with Mac video)

Brett Vito

Smith is pretty surprising to me. He must really be struggling picking up that playbook. As for Means, I've seen very little of him but what I do know of him screams accuracy issues. Less than 50% completion percentage in high school for an FBS commit QB, 6-15 in his second spring game, and even the videos.

https://twitter.com/meangreenfb/status/634013464143368193

I (and we) need more to accurately judge him, but I just haven't seen many good signs. Maybe the cameras haven't done a good job of showing his good moments.

Smith is struggling with just playing fast. Same issue we saw with Greer last year. Too much thinking about what is going to happen rather than just going out and executing the play. It will come in time. JUCOs often struggle year one in a new program and make the big jump going into year 2. Maybe Greer is starting to make that jump. 

• Upvote 2

When rushed (by that I mean he doesn't have time to think about it), McNulty has good placement 35-45 yards downfield. Beyond that distance, he's throwing receivers/Harris open, or throwing up 50/50 balls, and that includes under thrown balls. 

He doesn't have a strong arm, but the notion that he can't throw a ball downfield is not correct. Also, I doubt DCs will match up Rutherford with a guy a foot smaller (ok maybe 6 inches), or match up Thad Thompson against someone 20-30 lbs lighter, etc etc  

The only reason we'll be going up against stacked boxes is bc of the speed of McNulty's decision making. He can throw pretty intermediate range balls if he doesn't stop to think. That's what will make or break him, not his arm.

• Upvote 5

If you are talking about his ability to regularly make 40-50+ yard throws "on  a rope" then you may be right about him. I'm more concerned with his ability to make mid-range throws with "timely-to-fast" releases. I wouldn't characterize Mitch Maher as a cannon armed QB, but he rarely missed his mid-range throws, and when he had to, he could count on his TE, the great Luis Silva to bring down a "hail mary" throw from time to time.

All McNulty needs is for any of his taller WR's to develop into a Darnell Smith/Luis Silva go-after-and-fight-for-the-ball-type receiver, and the long throws will be there. 

To further make my point. After watching "Johnny Football" and T. Boykin play a couple of times, I wasn't all that impressed with them. Many times on their long pass plays (especially Boykin) they just threw it up in the vicinity of their very talented WR's and let them go after it. And the same could be said for a lot of their mid-range throws (especially J. Football).  Their WR's made them look REAL good. 

When you don't have to worry about a QB going deep, you can bring safeties up in the box since you're not dropping them back in coverage.  They can cover the 'mid-range' throws from there.  They can also come up and support the run defense.

• Upvote 3

I'm in agreement with those that think there just isn't enough time for DS to supplant AM. We're going to see exactly what we saw last year from the QB position and offense. Highly conservative game plan with an average of 150yds passing per game. This team will lean heavily on defense and special teams. Seriously, have we all forgotten what we've seen here since Mac took over? Mac just wants a bus driver at the QB position. Mistake free play on offense, dominate time of possession, win field position, and let the other team make the first mistake. He has the most trust in AM. It's the reason he went to him the last half of 2014 and reason he's solidified the starting spot this year. I think we'll only see a change when NT is out of bowl contention or an injury occurs.  

• Upvote 1

Funny the number of opinions considering nobody has seen the practices this Fall.

Amen

My point is that McNulty has another year under his belt, Greer had been in the program a couple of weeks and was thrown to the wolves, and Smith has 2 weeks of practice under his belt.  None of us have witnessed practice this Fall outside of the videos posted, so let's give these young men some slack and see how they do.

Agree completely.  

To already rule out every statement from the coaching staff that McNulty's has improved during the offseason seems premature.  I certainly didn't play football at North Texas but I definitely experienced a huge jump in understanding of how to and the importance of preparation and study in the classroom each year I was on campus - including a much more focused effort in the final year.  I refuse to reject the idea that this experience can't similarly take place for the players.

When rushed (by that I mean he doesn't have time to think about it), McNulty has good placement 35-45 yards downfield. Beyond that distance, he's throwing receivers/Harris open, or throwing up 50/50 balls, and that includes under thrown balls. 

He doesn't have a strong arm, but the notion that he can't throw a ball downfield is not correct. Also, I doubt DCs will match up Rutherford with a guy a foot smaller (ok maybe 6 inches), or match up Thad Thompson against someone 20-30 lbs lighter, etc etc  

The only reason we'll be going up against stacked boxes is bc of the speed of McNulty's decision making. He can throw pretty intermediate range balls if he doesn't stop to think. That's what will make or break him, not his arm.

Again, I agree.  It sounds like McNulty has a strong command and understanding of the offense compared to where he was 12 months ago.  Should help dramatically.

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I expect McNulty to look better than he did last season.  Last year he had to split 1st team reps with the other qbs.  

This spring and fall camps he is getting all the reps and he probably looks the best since he has put in the most work.

Being 3rd string last year, not only hurt his playing time, but he also wasn't getting quality reps.  We probably could have pulled off 6-6 had McNulty been the #1 instead of greer.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It sounds like McNulty has a strong command and understanding of the offense compared to where he was 12 months ago.  Should help dramatically.

You mean that he is so dumb that it didn't sink in the first three years...

And to previous posts, throwing downfield isn't the challenge. With nothing left in my right shoulder, I can easily toss a ball 40 yards straight downfield. Throwing a quick and decisive ball on an out to the sidelines is much more difficult and where turn overs happen all the time. No 50/50 balls don't occur there. This is where a weak arm kills a QB. This is where we are limited. With MinMac, the opposing D can just cross that off their list of things to worry about.

• Upvote 1

It's weird that Harris had no problem having a good year even while getting double teamed and being thrown to by a bunch of guys that supposedly can't throw a short, medium, long ball. 

go back & watch majority of those 'deep' balls he caught from the 2nd half of UAB on.  Some  crazy acrobatics & fending off traffic having to come back to under-thrown balls.  Harris has a fantastic understanding of space, I just wish he could keep the separation he worked so hard to get by getting hit in stride on the deep ball.

• Upvote 6

And I suppose Johnny football didn't throw balls up for grabs and trust his receivers to make a play. He always threw pinpoint accurate passes that basically stuck in the face mask of the receiver?

C'mon. The QBs may not have been great, by any stretch, but our WRs were sub par last year. #11 was our #2 and he was pretty bad most of the year.   The #3 and 4 WEs did not do much either.  

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

And I suppose Johnny football didn't throw balls up for grabs and trust his receivers to make a play. He always threw pinpoint accurate passes that basically stuck in the face mask of the receiver?

C'mon. The QBs may not have been great, by any stretch, but our WRs were sub par last year. #11 was our #2 and he was pretty bad most of the year.   The #3 and 4 WEs did not do much either.  

great analogy!

Mike Evans:Carlos Harris = Johnny Manziel:Andrew McNulty.

i think we're seeing that in the NFL now.

• Upvote 1

Certainly AM, DW, JG <> Manziel, but Mike Evans made Manziel look a lot better than he was. One thing Manziel had working for him was all the flash and all the scrambling he did that made things look exciting. He also has a really quick release. 

You saying McNulty can't scramble?!?  Check the record books homie.  He scored the first-ever TD @ Apogee!!!!!!1!1

• Upvote 1

I am ready for the season and ready for Andrew Football to hit the field. He has proved he is the best we have, as far as I am concerned. Count me on the lil Mac bandwagon for game one! Glad the defense played better. The d line has to be stout and deep, and it seems like we have that. Love watching the hog mollies fight it out in the trenches.

• Upvote 1

Again, I agree.  It sounds like McNulty has a strong command and understanding of the offense compared to where he was 12 months ago.  Should help dramatically.

McNulty isn't a former JUCO or transfer. He is a redshirt senior. He has had 4 years to "learn the offense," which apparently is more complicate than rocket science according to some people on here.

I understand the basic need for optimism at the beginning of a new season, but McNulty finally "learning the offense" really isn't the way to go. You would be much better served hanging your hat on defense and special teams. That appears to be what Mac plans to hang HIS hat on, anyway.

comparing McNulty to a first round NFL draft pick? 

I think you need to step away from the Koolaid.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Let me know if any of you all see things like this as it seems to be all either McNulty is awful or well UNT is my team so I'm behind him all the way.

It seems much more nuanced than that.

McNulty doesn't have a great arm, but then neither does Drew Brees (It's an example of the point I'll make not saying he is Drew Brees). Decision making was often the issue with McNulty. I think @Aldo was right when he mentioned that when McNulty was rushed he did ok. I think the detail here is that when he thought about if the play was open he got himself into trouble and then was too late.

I also agree that last year the WR position did not help any of the QB's out. They just didn't get much separation. This further compounded the decision issue where he seemed to wait for a guy to get open and get into trouble.

The how many years the guy has been in the system/Chico's test arguments actually I think are missing the point a bit. McNulty hadn't ever played until the last 6 games of the year. That was his first extended playing time. He did improve as he went along. I expect that things will be much slower for him this year and that experience will pay off.

@97and03 is right the weaker arm will hurt you on those deeper outs and corner routes. Don't know if he can make-up it by making decisions faster, but he at least has some game experience this time.

The run game wasn't a threat last year. We were slow at the position last year. It could be a big threat with Wilson this year. This relies on the O-Line however. This is a concern with so many new faces.

I agree with @GOMG2013 that he'll be better this year because of the reps as well.

I also think last year all of the QB's worried so much about turning the ball over and this is where Mac being so hard on that really hurt the QB's, as none of them had any playing time really to speak of last year. 1st time players are going to make much more frequent and bigger mistakes.

Proofreading my points makes it sound like I think he's going to be all-conference, which I don't, but he could be good enough if the O-Line, WR's and experience points made are right.

Anyone else think this or is it all, he's awful cause I saw him play last year and he was awful?

• Upvote 1

Anyone else think this or is it all, he's awful cause I saw him play last year and he was awful?

There is the tale of two McNulty's. One who can hit the deep out (see below, at 3:05), or deliver the pass on the money (see below that, at 2:18 and 6:17).

Then there's the McNulty who overthrows the receiver sitting there waiting on the screen, or who can't anticipate a play (obviously won't be on this highlight reel).

I think the only way we see a sizeable passing offense is to give him 35-40 pass attempts for 200-250 yards, a TD and an INT, and that's what I'm expecting at the SMU game.

https://youtu.be/GYEjU6D5IrE?t=3m5s 

https://youtu.be/GYEjU6D5IrE?t=2m18s & https://youtu.be/GYEjU6D5IrE?t=6m17s 

great analogy!

Mike Evans:Carlos Harris = Johnny Manziel:Andrew McNulty.

i think we're seeing that in the NFL now.

While I will agree Manziel trusted Evans to go get some balls he threw up for grabs, he threw many that were dead on to Labhart, Swopes and company. Manziel's greatest assets were his running ability and escapability. McNulty could only dream of Manziel's level of those two assets.

• Upvote 2

Manziel's game in college was based upon pinpoint accuracy, great delivery, amazing anticipation in the soft spots of zones, good intuition/creativity, and a strong arm. Folks who just see a throw-it-up reckless type aren't seeing the whole story, or watched any of his film.

• Upvote 2

I cant believe there is even a discussion about Manziel and McNulty. Just stop all that non sense. Two completely different players in completely different offenses. 

The North Texas offense is more complex apparently because we actually have play calls, and pre snap adjustments, and accounting for blitzes. Something that Manziel admitted this year that he did none of aTm.

• Upvote 1

I think it is time to accept that McNulty is our starter. I am,not all for this decision, but I can accept it. Greer being # 2 is a joke.

I think that a lot of people have accepted that since last October/November. A few have been fooled into believing a JUCO transfer that couldn't get here until the summer had any chance to start the season as the #1 QB, but that was never gonna fly with Mac. He's an old school coach--he likes bus drivers, running the ball down your throat. Nothing more, nothing less.

McNulty is good enough to lead this team to victories over bad teams. He did that last year and he will do it this year. We will beat SMU, Portland State, and 1 or 2 others, max...

But your solid G5 CUSA teams are gonna be way too tough for him--and all you need to expect from Iowa and Tennessee is that their wired funds make it to Denton. There's no way he can compete with those two defenses with that arm. All you can hope for against the CUSA teams is that our defense and special teams make signinficant leaps forward and that the running game and short passing game somehow can work against 8-9 men in the box. Basically, pray that 2013 somehow happens again, even though we are less talented at QB, defense, and at offensive line than we were back then.

• Upvote 1