Boise St. more morally grounded than Baylor?

SilverEagle

!80 days county time and 10 years probation. Waco is again protecting Waco, and protecting Baylor is protecting Waco. Not that I enjoy seeing people fry in prison, but if this guy was a non-athlete working at the local gas station in Mclennan County he would be locked away for life. This is Waco, and Briles will likely slip away scot-free for his football greedy part in all of this.

Below I've posted the article in its entirety. I have bolded the things he did at Boise. I fail to see how one violent outburst (not of a sexual nature) is supposed to end his FBS career. How did he turn every female on campus into a potential victim? Every girl had the potential to be his girlfriend, and had the potential to get into a domestic dispute with him, and the potential that he may break a window during said domestic dispute? I'm not saying this guy is a saint or even if he deserved a shot at Baylor. I am saying that this writing is garbage and this guy is making HUGE leaps in his story. The only thing Briles did wrong IMO is not keep better tabs on the kid while he was at Baylor, same could be said for Texas though. (Meander and Sanders anybody?)

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/former-baylor-de-sam-ukwuachu-found-guilty-of-rape-in-waco-court.html/

Among other things, allegedly choking and punching your "girlfriend" in the head is probably more than just one violent outburst.

It would be interesting to know how many other programs were pursuing him after Boise State threw him out of school. When an All-American gets tossed out you would almost have to assume it wasn't for something minor or insignificant. Which would lead one to believe baylor didn't care what he did so long as he brought a strong pass rush. 

• Upvote 3

You MAY be able to say Briles didn't know anything before he arrived at Baylor...but I don't think you can defend the fact that, after he was accused of rape, Baylor wanted to rreinstate him once they heard the DA might not have enough evidence for a conviction...only to have the DA state they were still moving forward 

Say all you want that "it was only an allegation at that point".  As a man with two daughters, as a police lieutenant, and as a NT alum I would be LIVID if Mac took in a kid with reported anger issues towards women and then wanted him kept around after a rape allegation.

It isn't so much the before that has me fired up. It's the after part. The investigation, or lack there of. The perceived non urgency in the matter. Baylor and Briles, Bennett, and the rest of his staff look like sacks of crap, and they might actually be. If I were an alum who supported that school financially, I'd be asking so many damn questions.

WTF is with the jury sentencing too? What the hell is going on in Waco?

• Upvote 1

!80 days county time and 10 years probation. Waco is again protecting Waco, and protecting Baylor is protecting Waco. Not that I enjoy seeing people fry in prison, but if this guy was a non-athlete working at the local gas station in Mclennan County he would be locked away for life. This is Waco, and Briles will likely slip away scot-free for his football greedy part in all of this.

Wow!  I hadn't seen that pathetic sentencing.  Convicted of raping a virgin freshman girl, and he gets a slap on the wrist.  There is no way he should have received less than 10 years, and that would be on the light side.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It is just so telling of the university that that have allowed the transgressions within the Athletics department. The Athletics department is morally corrupt and the administration is right there with them for allowing to continue to happen. 

And to have the nerve to do it all while hiding behind a cross. 

This type of backstabbing/hypocritical behavior is a consistent experience that I have personally encounter when dealing with the handful of BU graduates I have dealt with in my personal and professional experience. 

Not surprised. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It is just so telling of the university that that have allowed the transgressions within the Athletics department. The Athletics department is morally corrupt and the administration is right there with them for allowing to continue to happen. 

And to have the nerve to do it all while hiding behind a cross. 

This type of backstabbing/hypocritical behavior is a consistent experience that I have personally encounter when dealing with the handful of BU graduates I have dealt with in my personal and professional experience. 

Not surprised. 

These types of comments always make me giggle and shake my head.

That would be like saying all UNT grads are losers because all our athletic programs ever do is lose.

Stereotype much?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was just saying in my personal experience with the handful of BU grads that I have worked with, it has not been a pleasant experience  I freely admit is a small sample size of under a dozen or so, but enough for me to consider it more than a coincidence. 

On a separate note, Baylor as a university publicly says one thing, and then does another.  The football coach came to them and said they needed to admit a kid because he thought it would help them win.  No problem coach.  

The parallel I was trying to draw is that my personal experience with BU grads was that of being hypocritical and sneaky/underhanded/fake kind of stuff, compared with how the university itself has shown a willingness to say one thing publicly and then behind the scenes act in a way that is counter to their supposed beliefs in an effort to succeed in athletics.

No apologies here.  I do not care for Baylor and normally pass on Baylor graduates for a job based on my prior experiences.  Sucks for the candidate, but that is reality for me.

I am laughing my ass off that they have once again found themselves in the middle of yet another mess.

Stereotype much?  Yes.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Wow!  I hadn't seen that pathetic sentencing.  Convicted of raping a virgin freshman girl, and he gets a slap on the wrist.  There is no way he should have received less than 10 years, and that would be on the light side.

While it doesn't seem like much, it's actually not that bad. IF this guy does have serious anger issues, which it looks like he does, he is going to screw up in those 10 years, and when he does he is most likely going to get hammered with a hefty sentence.

Baylor also deserves to be hammered over this. While they couldn't have predicted that this guy would come on their campus and rape one of their scholarshipped athletes, they could have/should have done much much more to fix the situation. They chose to cover this up and basically tell the victim, sorry, you just have to deal with it. That is unacceptable. It is the responsibility of the University to protect its student's, Baylor completely screwed the pooch on this, all in the name of protecting their football program. I don't know that this is all that different than the Penn State situation, but I really doubt anything will be done. 

Edited by mattmartin817

I'm surprised at how many people are calling for Briles' head and Baylor sanctions. Has anyone noticed what goes on at FSU as Jimbo cashes his checks?

Well if they are like me they care more about what's going on in the state of Texas than in Florida. AND, if you've ever read the Baylor fan board, you'll notice that those Bible thumping Baptist have a worse attitude about schools that they deem "beneath them" than, and I know for most on the GMG board this is hard to believe,.......SMU. 

Edited by SilverEagle

Stereotype much?  Yes.

they say the first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one.

So that obviously means none of my problems will ever be fixed...

While it doesn't seem like much, it's actually not that bad. IF this guy does have serious anger issues, which it looks like he does, he is going to screw up in those 10 years, and when he does he is most likely going to get hammered with a hefty sentence.

Baylor also deserves to be hammered over this. While they couldn't have predicted that this guy would come on their campus and rape one of their scholarshipped athletes, they could have/should have done much much more to fix the situation. They chose to cover this up and basically tell the victim, sorry, you just have to deal with it. That is unacceptable. It is the responsibility of the University to protect its student's, Baylor completely screwed the pooch on this, all in the name of protecting their football program. I don't know that this is all that different than the Penn State situation, but I really doubt anything will be done. 

his sentence is capped at 8 years. This is probation from a jury, not deferred adjudication. 

But you are right about him effing up. Very large chance that will happen.

they say the first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one.

So that obviously means none of my problems will ever be fixed...

his sentence is capped at 8 years. This is probation from a jury, not deferred adjudication. 

But you are right about him effing up. Very large chance that will happen.

And if he "effes up", which I agree he will, that means there's another victim, most likely of a violent crime.

I'm surprised at how many people are calling for Briles' head and Baylor sanctions. Has anyone noticed what goes on at FSU as Jimbo cashes his checks?

Baylor is a pissant in the big scheme of the NCAA. Most coaches think that Scott Drew is the second dirtiest coach in the NCAA, behind only Calipari. That says something right there, but Briles isn't well-liked either.

Baylor has one gigantic hurdle, in-state, though, that FSU doesn't have. Baylor is the leech to the Texas tickhound. And when the tickhound goes to the vet, the tick usually gets removed. UT's control of this state's media is legendary. They aren't gonna go away on this until Baylor either fired Briles, Baylor gets some kind of NCAA crippling sanctions, or UT goes back to winning conference championships again. I've watched SMU get crushed by this (rightfully so, but still...), I've watched A&M get caught by this, and I've seen UH get caught by it. I'm convinced Tech never had anything crazy come out of the woodwork when Leach was their coach was due tot eh fact that they rarely beat UT and never finished ahead of them in his tenure in Lubbock. Baylor will learn the lesson here...and TCU won't be far behind.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

I don't know that this is all that different than the Penn State situation, but I really doubt anything will be done. 

You don't?

Age of victims.

Number of victims.

Length of time where criminal conduct occurred.

Use of school facilities as a lure for victims.

Witnessed assualt is reported to administration, who does nothing with the report.

Baylor isn't looking good right now, but they are no where near Pedo State levels of slime.

• Upvote 3

You don't?

Age of victims.

Number of victims.

Witnessed assualt is reported to administration, who does nothing with the report.

Baylor isn't looking good right now, but they are no where near Pedo State levels of slime.

Well said sir.......well said.

• Upvote 1

I think Baylor could remove a large hurdle if they limit the murderers, rapists, and enablers in their program.

I agree...but those things got reported by the Waco media when they had to report it. It didn't come from other media outposts first.

Now, the Waco Tribune and other media don't even follow up on this case, it gets buried, almost amazingly. But now the Austin media comes in and "breaks" the story...its now nationwide and everyone is asking how Waco's media didn't even try to follow the case. They weren't gonna disturb Art Briles's reign in that area, for lots of reasons. BUt Baylor has run the Big XII for the last few years and they have whipped the bellcow 4 out of the last 5 years, winning the Big XII in the last two seasons. The bellcow isn't gonna let little 'ol Baylor or TCU get away this...

Briles is gonna get chased by these questions all year long and he will have columnists in the DMN, FWST, Austin American Statesman, and Houston Chronicle ripping into him repeatedly all year long, win or lose. Either Baylor will be forced to cut bait, or more likely, he's gonna bail out after this season to go somewhere else that is higher on the food chain to get away from this.

Just my guess, but I bet he's not coaching Baylor by the spring of 2016.

• Downvote 1

You don't?

Age of victims.

Number of victims.

All fair points.  But what took place at Penn State was done by someone without a direct connection to Penn State football.

• Downvote 2

Not sure what you mean...  Sandusky was the D.C. of Penn St football.  The cover-up went up through Paterno & their Athletic Department.

Well, AOD's post referred to when an incident was reported and the administration did nothing about it.  Back when Sandusky was DC, an incident was alleged and PSU reported it to the local DA.  The DA did an investigation and found nothing.  Sandusky retired, and when the McQuery (sp?)-witnessed incident was reported, he had no direct connection to the football program.  The administration had allowed him access to the facilities for the purpose of his charity program.

And you need to revise your view of there being a "cover up."  A ball was dropped, to be sure, but there was no evidence of a cover up.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Downvote 1