MGB breaking news -- Aniefiok will not return

Brett Vito

Well, this team has lost four of its top five scorers.  Now we're really going to see what kind of coach and recruiter Benford really is.  It's all his recruits now and he can't hide behind the veil of JJ's recruits any more.

1. Williams (456) - Graduated
  2. Combs (310) - Returning as a Sophomore
  3. Voss (273) - Graduated
  4. Aniefiok (239) - Graduated
  5. Taylor (226) - Graduated

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 5

Well, this team has lost four of its top five scorers.  Now we're really going to see what kind of coach and recruiter Benford really is.  It's all his recruits now and he can't hide behind the veil of JJ's recruits any more.

1. Williams (456) - Graduated
  2. Combs (310) - Returning as a Sophomore
  3. Voss (273) - Graduated
  4. Aniefiok (239) - Graduated
  5. Taylor (226) - Graduated

I am concerned about our lack of scoring and now size along the perimeter. Unless Combs has really improved his outside shooting and is planning on playing the 3 we will be a very short team in the backcourt. Our size on the post on the other hand is greatly increased. Still without Mo it's going to be near impossible to win 20 games this season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I am concerned about our lack of scoring and now size along the perimeter. Unless Combs has really improved his outside shooting and is planning on playing the 3 we will be a very short team in the backcourt. Our size on the post on the other hand is greatly increased. Still without Mo it's going to be near impossible to win 20 games this season. 

Even before Aniefiok left, what on this planet made you think this team was capable of winning 20 games?  We've turned over about half the roster!

• Upvote 3

Even before Aniefiok left, what on this planet made you think this team was capable of winning 20 games?  We've turned over about half the roster!

I thought we might have a chance since our point play and post play will much better than it was last year. With Mo we had a lengthy beyond the arc threat. He would have seen a lot more shots. Deandre also has a lot to offer. I thought there was a slim chance. Now there is no chance. We will still be better in the post and at the PG position but we are going to have some difficulty on defense. Lengthy teams like ODU will destroy us. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Hard to care about something you don't know from one year to the next.

Remember when we used to recruit high school players, develop them, and watch them play for 4 years? Or even recruit JC's and watch them play for 2 years (crying a tear for Eric Tramiel right here. I loved you, man!)? Or transfers and watch them play for 3 years (O-DU-FU-WA!!!)?

Those days are gone. At least for another season. Let's hope there is a new AD hiring a new coach this March. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

He has family issues he needs to attend to and you think this is good? Or are you saying it is good that he got his degree?

He got his degree and can now go be a real person and handle his business. plus i am fairly certain he will have better prospects as a ball player away from benford.

Like some of the players with eligibility left gooing pro during Benford's tenure? (Though maybe it was just Coleman)

it was coleman and the guy that transferred in from cincy.

He got his degree and can now go be a real person and handle his business. plus i am fairly certain he will have better prospects as a ball player away from benford.

it was coleman and the guy that transferred in from cincy.

Gaines...did he have eligibility left? He was a grad transfer I think, but I think he was hurt earl it in is career so maybe he could have been eligible for a hardship waiver or he graduated faster than most.

Vito withheld?   Vito only goes off of what Benford tells him...  so let's re-phrase.

Watching Andrew demand Vito get answers without understanding this relationship is fun. Don't spoil it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I'm not blaming anyone -- the kid has graduated and is needing to take care of some business.

Just saying that losing the best shooter on the team hurts. 

As long as the business he needs to take care of is not how to pay for graduate school now that my scholarship has been pulled, I agree.

• Upvote 3

I have absolutely no idea what the personal family issues are, but whatever they are, I hope he is able to get them handled in a way that results in a positive outcome.  I really enjoyed watching him play and seeing him at the Coach Benford Radio Show and just around campus and Denton.  Seemed like a great guy to me the few times I interacted with him.  I will miss him not being on the court next season, but, as reported, he did graduate.  That says something, and perhaps he felt it best to step away from school for those reported "family reasons".  If he gets the issues handled and ends up playing elsewhere, good for him.  

Congrats on your degree, young man, and God speed in the years ahead.  You are always welcome back home at UNT and will always be a part of the great Mean Green Nation!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1