Not a good time for Banowsky to bolt

Harry

Welcome to "Second Guess" Tuesday.

It's just like two-for-Tuesday pasta specials, but the opinions are meatier.

n There probably couldn't have been a worse time for Britton Banowsky to step down as Conference USA's commissioner.

This is a crucial, cross-road year for the league.

C-USA's television contract expires after this year and a new pact has to be negotiated. Banowsky's presence and acumen would be essential in those negotiations.

But, now, it appears highly doubtful that Banowsky, who led Conference USA for nearly 13 years, will be around for those talks.

Sure, Banowsky has said he will stay with C-USA until the league names his successor, but it's unlikely his tenure will last long enough to negotiate a new television contract.

And in this day and age of television driving collegiate sports well, these contracts have become the life-blood for leagues.

So, what's the outlook for C-USA's future television contract?

Not too good.

Just look at the league's announced television schedule for the 2015 season. The good news is more than 40 games will be televised by FS1 (Fox Sports 1), FSN (Fox Sports Network), FCS (Fox College Sports), CBS Sports Network and ESPN.

The sobering news is ASN (American Sports Network) is televising 30 games. No offense to the fledgling network that was launched Aug. 30, 2014, but ASN is at the bottom of the food chain for sports networks.

The fact Conference USA has 30 games on ASN speaks volumes.

read more:  http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x45924054/Not-a-good-time-for-Banowsky-to-bolt

That link also talks about Marshall's recruiting classes and how many fail to show up on campus for various reasons.  Interesting. 

that was more interesting to me as well. Recruiting classes are always ranked before they actually get to campus. I didn't realize a significant number never even get to campus to wash out. 

• Upvote 1

I have seen a lot of people on various boards point out how Marshall recruits non qualifiers.  I can see how that will artificially inflate their recruiting class rankings, especially if those kids never end up qualifying and making it to campus.  I guess it has the benefit of pumping up the fan base because they see all the stars and high rankings, and if the athlete happens to qualify at the last minute, they get a pretty good player as well. 

I can see some benefits from this approach even though there are some obvious risks, such as holes in your recruiting class because kids don't qualify.