My hope for us on Oct 15th Thursday night is 4-1

Harry

Hear me out.  We take care of business against SMU to start the season 1-0.  Tough game, closer than last year but a W.

Next we are able to beat Rice at home in front of a big opening day crowd at Apogee.  Very tough game but we pull it out at the end. 2-0

We take on Iowa on the road and lose but we play them respectable...make it tough, make it a hard fought win.  2-1

Hit the road again for a win against Southern Miss, honestly a team we should have beaten last season.  3-1

Back home for an easy win against Portland State.  4-1

Oct 15th we have a Thursday game against WKU who are probably the best team in the league this year.  I am not going to say if we win or lose this game.  But, sitting at 4-1 heading into that game gives you a sense that a winning season seems much more feasible.  We could have the wind at our backs.  Dare I say the optimism we felt back in 2013 again. 

Will it happen?  This is a young team.  The road games scare me the most and of course the SMU game could be a jump the shark moment for either team.

I mentioned this on our Mean Green Nation podcast, but I'm with Harry it is possible to be 4-1 or 5-0 going into a Nationally televised game against what may be a ranked team. A lot of things have to happen in my mind for this happen. 

OL has to be really good

D. Smith has to beat out McNulty and be given the reigns to starting QB

D. Smith has to be the player all of us hope he is

The DL has to be able to stop the run

Gray has to be better in coverage then L. Lee

That second CB spot cant be a weak link

B. Bean has to be really good

J. Wilson has to be on a All Conf type of level

Two more WR's have to emerge a long side Harris. 

• Upvote 3

I love ya Harry but I am going to hold my Judgement until I see this team in action at SMU. I would love to think we could go 4-1 going into that Thursday night game but there are too many variables on this team and the most important one is the QB. If Smith is our guy, I can see us going 4-1 but McNulty, even though he knows the system, cant just be himself and drive a bus because this team is not good enough to go 4-1 with a bus driver. I would say 3-2 or 2-3 with McNulty but sky is the limit with Smith at the helm. Thats My opinion and just like when D Thompson was playing his Senior year, I hope he proves me wrong.

• Upvote 3

The SMU game will be a win.  Not worried about that.
Rice at home will be a crux game.  Win it, and I think we go into Kinnick with some swagger and make it a VERY good game.  Lose, and go into Kinnick dragging for a butt-whoppin'-&-a-check.
The PortlandSt. game will be a win.  Not worried about that.

The Rice & Iowa games along with any injuries will be what decides how close the WKU game will be.  
That WKU offense is a juggernaut.  Going to need a defense circa 2013's and an effective run game to hang with them.

• Upvote 2

This team has spent the entire off-season preparing and building chemistry.  They are "innocent until proven guilty"...there is no reason for us not to have Hope, and no reason why we shouldn't Believe in and be enthusiastic about this team.  They are hungry...starving...to win!

• Upvote 3

My best hope after our first 6 is 3-3.  :-/

I would be pleasantly surprised with 3-3 through the first half of the season. We would have won the two we should win, plus the 50/50 game at USM. The other three teams are just much better than us right now, even if we play two of them at home. McNulty will be the starter at least the first 4 games, in all probability. Mac will talk about his senior leadership being so valuable to start the season at SMU and at home against Rice, then how meaningful it will be for MiniMac to go back to Iowa as a starter to prove himself in front of his loved ones. Unless we start off 0-3, I think USM will be McNulty's last chance to prove he is the busdriver that Mac wants. If we lose there, dropping to 1-3, the Portland State game will be when Damarcus Smith gets his chance, just like Dajon Williams did last year against Nicholls State. If he cannot run the offense the way Mac wants it and we keep losing, I suspect that he will just go back to McNulty handing the ball off 90% of the time and throwing 2-yard passes the other 10% for the last 4 games of the season.

I think we will be 2-4 at that point, but 3-3 would be a nice start. I still think 4-8 is where we end up. SMU and Portland State in the first half of the season, UTSA and UTEP in the second half of the season.

• Upvote 1

If your QB scenario comes to fruition Mac must go. 

It's bowl or bust and AM can't physically take this team to a bowl game. Smith can and if given the opportunity to he will. 

Chico would be gone, but Mac won't, no matter what happens this season...or next, either, unless we combine to win 2 games in the next two years. Even then, I doubt it. We brought Todd Dodge back after he won 3 games in his previous two seasons, all to save an extra $275,000.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love all the assumptions we make as a fan base. Smith could or could not be the best qb going into week one. We are not at practice and have no idea how he is doing. He can clearly throw better than AM. Can he learn the system? Does he have the ability to out play guys that have been in the system for years, in just a month? We shall see. 

• Upvote 3

I would be pleasantly surprised with 3-3 through the first half of the season. We would have won the two we should win, plus the 50/50 game at USM. The other three teams are just much better than us right now, even if we play two of them at home. McNulty will be the starter at least the first 4 games, in all probability. Mac will talk about his senior leadership being so valuable to start the season at SMU and at home against Rice, then how meaningful it will be for MiniMac to go back to Iowa as a starter to prove himself in front of his loved ones. Unless we start off 0-3, I think USM will be McNulty's last chance to prove he is the busdriver that Mac wants. If we lose there, dropping to 1-3, the Portland State game will be when Damarcus Smith gets his chance, just like Dajon Williams did last year against Nicholls State. If he cannot run the offense the way Mac wants it and we keep losing, I suspect that he will just go back to McNulty handing the ball off 90% of the time and throwing 2-yard passes the other 10% for the last 4 games of the season.

I think we will be 2-4 at that point, but 3-3 would be a nice start. I still think 4-8 is where we end up. SMU and Portland State in the first half of the season, UTSA and UTEP in the second half of the season.

Well, that is my best hope is that we go 3-3. I think we will go 2-4 into the first six. I hope I am wrong though. But, I don't have confidence that this team can have a record of 4-1.  That would be the best start that I have ever seen as a fan of UNT and there is no way I see that happening with what we have...

• Upvote 1

Can we just look and see the two Quarterbacks on the right and how they physically look like a D1 Qb and then look to the left and see McNulty that looks like he could break his arm opening up the refrigerator door. He kind of looks like the paper boy that used to throw papers from his bike.

11241862.jpeg

• Upvote 4

I mentioned this on our Mean Green Nation podcast, but I'm with Harry it is possible to be 4-1 or 5-0 going into a Nationally televised game against what may be a ranked team. A lot of things have to happen in my mind for this happen. 

OL has to be really good

D. Smith has to beat out McNulty and be given the reigns to starting QB

D. Smith has to be the player all of us hope he is

The DL has to be able to stop the run

Gray has to be better in coverage then L. Lee

That second CB spot cant be a weak link

B. Bean has to be really good

J. Wilson has to be on a All Conf type of level

Two more WR's have to emerge a long side Harris. 

That seems like a lot of things that would need to break our way.  When was the last time UNT was so fortunate?

• Upvote 1